It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Is this really normal?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
    LittleMonkey
    (female)

LittleMonkey HB User
    Post Is this really normal?

So I had begun experiencing a range of symptoms slowly over a period of time, very heavy periods, weird brain fog accompanied by a strange puffy head feeling and very poor memory (so bad my OH has to tell me things we've done years ago).
    Then suddenly last Oct I just put on a stone in weight, I have always been quite slim - i normally carry weight on my bum and hips, but some of it is on my tummy and the top of my hips. I developed acne, perioral dermatitis, tremendous fatigue and worsening of my already bad memory. I was also getting these weird foggy headaches (no pain, just pressure) more frequently and they left me with a bad case of the stupids for days after.

I went to my doctor who has said that I have nothing to worry about, just a slightly low T3, she didn't even make any suggestions as to what may be the cause. Should I really just let this go? My symptoms are no better.
    The results are...

TSH 1.13 (0.35 - 5.00)
    Free T4 11.5 (11.00 - 23.00)
    Free T3 3.7 (3.90 - 6.80)

Thyroid peroxidase antibody <33 (0.00-59.00)

Ferritin 17 (12.00 -300.00)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Is this really normal?

Hello
    Both your freeTs are low so that could explain your symptoms. Your TSH looks great so that can cause your doc to think everything is fine. Your ferritin is on the low side too so you might want to try supplementing iron too.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
    LittleMonkey
    (female)

LittleMonkey HB User

Hi FinnMaid thank you for your reply.

I appreciate you taking the time to look at my query. I'll certainly look into the ferritin supplement, I get heavy periods so that might be why it's low.

Do you know why I'd have low free hormones but a good normal TSH?
    Is it because I'm run down or something or is it possible I need to look at this further?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Sometimes TSH just doesn't rise. It may be due to heterophilic antibodies that can make TSH look lower than it actually is. There is a test that takes these into account. I think low ferritin levels can also affect your thyroid levels so if you start supplementing iron now, take a little time to see how that works and if it doesn't, ask to have those thyroid labs checked again (one rarely gets medication based on one set of labs anyway).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-29-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    confused, hypo symptoms, lab tests, results