It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need help getting diagnosis - enlarged thyroid - what tests to do?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
    Pumpkin31

Pumpkin31 HB User
    Need help getting diagnosis - enlarged thyroid - what tests to do?

Hi there everybody,

Sorry to trouble you all but I am getting desperate and would really appreciate some advice.

I have a lot of symptoms of hyperthryoidism, although they seem to come and go in what I can only describe as 'flare ups' or bad periods. My TSH and T4 are in the normal range, but last week an ultrasound showed I had an enlarged thyroid and two non suspicious looking thyroid nodules. My boyfriend said he and his family could see I have an enlarged thyroid, but he says it was more enlarged a month ago but seems to have reduced a bit now.

I have had various problems for some years now. I have been monitored by the autoimmune diseases department at the hospital because I have thrombocytopenia (low platelets) and some indicator of an autoimmune disease (not sure which one), but I have no diagnosis as yet. I was told in February the autoimmune indicator had switched off and gone dormant, but then I caught the flu and in the following month seemed to get very bad.

In the past I have had a lot of problems with anxiety, mood swings and irritability. I have autism spectrum disorder and the psychiatrist at the autism centre put this down to characteristics of the autism and put me on mood stabilisers, which I came off about 6 months ago, but I now suspect this may be due to thyroid issues, as I have had all of these symptoms for years now. My anxiety and mood swings stopped about 6 months ago, but has come back somewhat over the past 6 weeks, in the sense that most of the time I feel absolutely fine, and then occasionally have a 10 minute sudden hit where I feel very very anxious for no apparent reason. It feels very bad all of a sudden and then after maybe 10 minutes just disappears.

Over the past 6 weeks I've also experienced:
    feeling hungry a lot of the time
    days where I have felt very very irritated, but not often
    weeks of intolerance to heat
    feeling like I'm suffocating sometimes

A years or so ago, all my symptoms were much worse and I had chronic palpitations and had various tests and minor surgery done to check my heart, which was fine. The palpitations later improved.
    I've had dry eyes for years.
    My hair is a frizzy, brittle mess.

The problem that is really bothering me though is that i just can't sleep properly lately. Either I can't fall asleep at night, or I wake up after 6 or 7 hours and this is really hitting me hard, I'm just exhausted. I've tried prescription sleeping pills and melatonin but the melatonin aggravated the anxiety and the sleeping pills left me even more exhausted the next day.

Many of the symptoms got very bad in the month after I caught the flu but many of them seem to have improved a lot since then, but I still can't sleep.

I'm determined to find out if I have a problem but because the thyroid blood tests are normal I've been told they won't test further.

I'm willing to pay for the tests privately, I just don't know which tests to do! Can anybody tell me what antibody tests I should do? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Need help getting diagnosis - enlarged thyroid - what tests to do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pumpkin31 View Post
    Hi there everybody,

Sorry to trouble you all but I am getting desperate and would really appreciate some advice.

I have a lot of symptoms of hyperthryoidism, although they seem to come and go in what I can only describe as 'flare ups' or bad periods. My TSH and T4 are in the normal range, but last week an ultrasound showed I had an enlarged thyroid and two non suspicious looking thyroid nodules. My boyfriend said he and his family could see I have an enlarged thyroid, but he says it was more enlarged a month ago but seems to have reduced a bit now.

I have had various problems for some years now. I have been monitored by the autoimmune diseases department at the hospital because I have thrombocytopenia (low platelets) and some indicator of an autoimmune disease (not sure which one), but I have no diagnosis as yet. I was told in February the autoimmune indicator had switched off and gone dormant, but then I caught the flu and in the following month seemed to get very bad.

In the past I have had a lot of problems with anxiety, mood swings and irritability. I have autism spectrum disorder and the psychiatrist at the autism centre put this down to characteristics of the autism and put me on mood stabilisers, which I came off about 6 months ago, but I now suspect this may be due to thyroid issues, as I have had all of these symptoms for years now. My anxiety and mood swings stopped about 6 months ago, but has come back somewhat over the past 6 weeks, in the sense that most of the time I feel absolutely fine, and then occasionally have a 10 minute sudden hit where I feel very very anxious for no apparent reason. It feels very bad all of a sudden and then after maybe 10 minutes just disappears.

Over the past 6 weeks I've also experienced:
    feeling hungry a lot of the time
    days where I have felt very very irritated, but not often
    weeks of intolerance to heat
    feeling like I'm suffocating sometimes

A years or so ago, all my symptoms were much worse and I had chronic palpitations and had various tests and minor surgery done to check my heart, which was fine. The palpitations later improved.
    I've had dry eyes for years.
    My hair is a frizzy, brittle mess.

The problem that is really bothering me though is that i just can't sleep properly lately. Either I can't fall asleep at night, or I wake up after 6 or 7 hours and this is really hitting me hard, I'm just exhausted. I've tried prescription sleeping pills and melatonin but the melatonin aggravated the anxiety and the sleeping pills left me even more exhausted the next day.

Many of the symptoms got very bad in the month after I caught the flu but many of them seem to have improved a lot since then, but I still can't sleep.

I'm determined to find out if I have a problem but because the thyroid blood tests are normal I've been told they won't test further.

I'm willing to pay for the tests privately, I just don't know which tests to do! Can anybody tell me what antibody tests I should do? Thank you!
    You need anti TPO and anti TG. These are both antibodies that attack thyroid tissue in Hashimoto disease, autoimmune thyroid disease. It is characterized by enlargement of the gland and nodules. Over time they destroy the gland and cause hypothyroidism. However hyperthyroidism can occur initially. If the antibodies are elevated, either one, you have autoimmune thyroiditis.

Reply Reply