It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Newly Diagnosed with Hashimoto's + T3 (Cytomel) experience and Med Question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
    ryay
    (female)

ryay HB User
    Newly Diagnosed with Hashimoto's + T3 (Cytomel) experience and Med Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new here but have been reading thyroid forums all over the internet for some time. I have kind of an interesting 'Thyroid Journey' that I thought I'd share here - mainly because my treatment is the opposite of most cases I hear about. I was started on Cytomel (Liothyronine) to treat a clinically 'mild' case of Hypothyroid, vs starting on Levothyroxine. I am recently very symptomatic and diagnosed with Hashimotio's, so now cutting Cytomel and adding Levothroxine.

The question I have is that the endocrinologist prescribing the change didn't talk about titrating me down on Cytomel and onto Levo, she just cut Cytomel from 25mcg (in the morning) to 17.5mcg (over the day) and added 50mcg of Levothroxine. I was nervous about this and felt really strange the first day, but am feeling kind of immediately better these second and third days. So, just curious if anyone out there has experience or opinions on this. In my experience, starting and increasing Cytomel has an efficacy lag time of up to 6 weeks; I was wondering if this is the experience people have had with Levo as well.

So, just a note on symptoms: In my experience, Cytomel is very helpful, but it can become ineffective and when out of balance or a little too much, where it creates negative symptoms. I can not believe how cloudy my thinking got just increasing from 20 to 25 mcg. It was scaring me. My sleep also changed dramatically, from comfortably waking up around 10, to not being able to sleep past dawn. And in the beginning, I wasn't able to fall asleep till 4 or 5 am. So I had a few months of just feeling wired, exhausted, on edge and anxious, and having increasing difficulty concentrating and with memory issues. Yes - these are symptoms that come with Hashimoto's, but the Cytomel really exacerbated them when it was too high of a dose for me. At a lower dose I think it has been really beneficial for me.

Anyway. Recently my primary (who now left the clinic ) ran an antibody test, which showed some slight negative activity. The endo I saw a month later confirmed Hashimoto's. I've spoken to her about my symptoms at this point and this is where we are at now: cutting Cytomel, adding Levo.

I have heard that starting T3 (Cytomel) can 'dump' a built up excess of (damaging) Reverse T3 at the start of therapy. I have a hunch that this is why I felt so great for the first year. But my endo told me, longer term studies in my demographic show that symptoms reverse in the short term and tend to go back to where they were in the longer term with only T3 treatment. I feel this has been true to my experience and I'm actually excited / optimistic to see what kind of stabilizing force adding some T4 might have.

I welcome any thoughts or questions about all this. I know a lot of people with thyroid conditions have Dr's who will only prescribe T4.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    cytomel, hashimoto, hypothyroid, levothyroxine, liothyronine