It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Tests come back normal but still have hypo symptoms

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
    sarahg
    (female)

sarahg HB User
    Tests come back normal but still have hypo symptoms

I recently had a partial thyroidectomy on March 8th for a suspicious nodule. The nodule was found to be benign, however they did find a small spot of cancer on the lobe they took out. My doctor seems to think most people who only have half out never need medication. My bloodwork seems to be coming back normal, however I'm still having so many symptoms of being hypo (I was also having them before surgery but now they are even worse). Before surgery I gained 35 pounds in one year, and I've been slowly gaining more after surgery as well. My hands/feet are freezing all the time, I'm exhausted no matter how much sleep I get, skin/hair is very dry, my nails are brittle and break, and I've had awful memory fogginess.

Here are my before surgery tests, my t3 was not tested here (about 4 months before):

TSH 1.48 mcIU/mL range: 0.35 - 5.50 mcIU/mL
    Free T4 0.83 ng/dL range:0.90 - 1.80 ng/dL
    Thyroid Microsomal Abs range: 10 IU/mL<40 IU/mL
    Thyroglobulin Ab 11 IU/mL range: 0 - 115 IU/mL

here are my post-surgery results (tested a month and half after surgery):
    T3, Free 3.41 pg/mL range: 2.80 - 5.30 pg/mL
    Free T4 1.00 ng/dL range: 0.90 - 1.80 ng/dL
    TSH 4.31 mcIU/mL range: 0.35 - 5.50 mcIU/mL

These are coming back higher than before my surgery, yet I feel worse? Can anyone provide any help or have had a similar experience? My ENT says if this bloodwork is fine then I don't need to see him anymore and won't need medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Tests come back normal but still have hypo symptoms

It's only been a couple of months since your surgery so your body is still trying to find new balance. That being said, IMHO you were hypoT before your surgery and I seriously doubt you'll do any better with half a thyroid, quite the opposite. The remaing half seems to be responding slightly better to the "TSH boost" but clearly not enough. You may may want wait and see for a short while but I suggest you try to find a more thyroid savvy doctor - having your labs "with range" doesn't prove everything is ok.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
    rlh
    (female)

rlh HB User

It infuriates me that doctors ignore us when we tell them we don't feel well, because the tests are "normal." I struggled with the same thing, and went through several doctors until I found one that at least humored me when I insisted my symptoms were due to low thyroid, and told her I wanted a medication change.

Don't give up! If you aren't well, keep pursuing it until you find a doctor who will listen, and do as much research as you can on your own. There's an enormous amount of info available on the internet. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:02 AM   #4
    sicabre
    (male)

sicabre HB User

Spot on, i see this all the time. Doctors say all good but people feel like crap. It's very annoying. How is the progress now?

Reply Reply

Tags
    bloodwork, hypothroidism, hypothyroid, thyroid, thyroidectomy