It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid nodule- should i be worried?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
    browneyedgirl62002

browneyedgirl62002 HB User
    Post thyroid nodule- should i be worried?

i just went to an endo doc today and she said i have a nodule on my thyroid. should i be worried? she wants to do a needle biopsy. is that something that has to be done? they checked my blood too. don't have the results yet though. she said if my bloodresults are good then there was a chance of cancer. don't get it.
    i thought thyroid nodules can be there but don't mean cancer. the nodule is about 2cm big. does anybody know anything about this. please anwer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
    NodiGoiterGirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
    You could possibly have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. A needle biopsy is a good idea to find out for sure. It is possible to have bloodwork that is fine, and have it not be cancerous. Even if you do have cancer it is one of the "better" ones to have. It is one of the easiest ones to cure. The Biopsy is somewhat uncomfortable, but I think it would be in your best interest to find out for sure.
    Good Luck to you!!
    Nodi

Old 05-28-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
    Katiepops
    Inactive

Katiepops HB User
    Can you believe I have had a nodule for 4 years that has gone from the size of a pecan to a lemon and I have never had a biopsy? The first endo said he wasn't worried about cancer. I am now that I have been on meds for 4 years and my symptoms are horrible still and it has grown when I was told it would not shrink but subside from growing with the meds. My numbers are supposed to be "fine" TSH is all my reg doc checks for and then the endo looked at his test results to diagnose me as well. I have not even been told it was Hashi's but I know it is since I have every symptom which is Hypothyroid with goiter and all the other symptoms aches and pains. I think I would applaud a doc that wanted to make sure at this point. I am so fed up with my docs.

[This message has been edited by Katiepops (edited 05-28-2003).]

Old 05-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
    ringbearer

ringbearer HB User
    Katipops ... I was also told by an endo not to worry about a cancer dx with my nodule, but I did worry, and my surgeon was clear that a couple more years would have put me in a much worse position. My lab tests were all normal also, but I had both cancer and Hashi's.

It is a disgrace that you have not had that nodule followed closely. Please do so now! Prognosis for cancer is directly related to tumor size. Small cancers have a near 100% cure rate in those under 45, and larger ones are still very treatable.

Old 05-29-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
    shu

shu HB User
    ever since I was a little kid, about 6-7-8 years old, I remember of having a small lump in my neck. It hasn't caused me any trouble or pain over the years, and it hasn't changed it's size. It isn't very big, it is hardly noticeable. One could observe it only if I tell him there is something wrong with my neck. But otherwise, it is unnoticeable. I am 18 now, and as I told you, over the years, it hasn't caused me any trouble. All my blood tests were ok. Should I be worried by the lump, knowing that it has existed for almost 10 years, and that it didn't have a negative effect on my health?? Thank you

Old 05-30-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
    browneyedgirl62002

browneyedgirl62002 HB User
    thanks for all the replies, i got the call today and they said the blood results are normal so no hypo, and she wants to do the needle biopsy on monday. don't know why she never wanted to do an ultrasound or so. at this point i don't even know if it's only one nodule or more or if it's even suspicious. but i guess my doc thinks it is. whatever. how bad is the biopsy? does it hurt bad? she said she not gonna give a local anesthesia and she's gonna poke me 3 times. sounds awfull to me. scared of needles.
    i really hope it's not cancer. they found some mini nodules in my lungs too.(2mm) now my head is going crazy and i am thinking i got thyroid cancer that has spread to the lungs. everybody says that's not possible or really rare. but i am scared to death. don't want to die yet. but lately everybody just wants to throw that c word at me. i can't even stop crying anymore. it was bad after they told me i had nodules in my lungs but then this endo has to tell me that my nodule on my thyroid possibly be cancer. she has never checked me out before. how can she say? i am getting more and more paranoid.
    has anybody had thyroid cancer that spread? please help.

Old 05-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
    Aimee8396
    Veteran
    (female)

Aimee8396 HB User
    I was told that thyroid cancer, is very slow growing. If it does spread, it is thyroid cancer in your lung/bone/whatever, not lung/bone cancer. They use radio active iodine to remove it. I read the previous posts about not doing RAI for nodules, and I would say that right, but if you have thyroid cancer, DO IT!! I had a total thyroidectomy in Novemeber, and followed that up with RAI to kill any remaining thyroid tissue, this increases my chance of never having a reoccurance. I hope that your biopsy goes well, and they can give you some refief. Good Luck, Aimee

Old 05-30-2003, 02:12 PM   #8
    wonderface
    Inactive

wonderface HB User
    I am sending your my prayers and best wishes for recovery and understanding of what is going on with you.A good start is to calm down and do some research.I feel everything you do-I freaked out too,but in order to take charge and control of your health you gotta get centered.
    Eat well,rest and look into everything as much as you can .Ill be looking out for your updates and my thoughts are with you.
    Be strong!!
    Lots of Love

Old 05-30-2003, 08:46 PM   #9
    bwwcdnmom

bwwcdnmom HB User
    I just wanted to comment about the Uptake for thyroids. I had the Nuclear Uptake and Scan to examine my thyroid nodule. I do believe this is the I123 a much lower dose than the I131 RAI that is used to ablate the thyroid. My nodule came back as a complex cyst that has been watched for over a year now and of late has caused neck swelling and tenderness . The cyst is now many cysts inside the nodule that is inside the thyroid. I also showed nodules on a chest xray that a CT Scan calls pleural effusions. Interesting since I have never had Pnemonia, and 3 other xrays in the last year have been clear.
    Looks like a few of us have the lump thing happening. i am fortunate in that my doctor is calling for regular xrays, ultra sounds and I have had it Fine Needle Biopsied 2 X in the last 1 1/2 years.
    I do think all lumps should be monitored closely.
    Anyone else out there with similar stuff?
    I too would stay away from having the RAI(Radioactive Iodine) to kill my thyroid. I would opt for surgical removal first.

Closed Thread