It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Elevated antibodies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
    lucy12

lucy12 HB User
    Question Elevated antibodies?

I was hoping somebody might be able to offer any suggestions.....My doctor discovered that I had elevated thyroglobulin antibodies and said that I should be tested regulary to see if my thyroid is functioning ok. Well lately I have been very tired and unable to loose any weight despite diet and exercise. My hair is falling out, I have hot/sweaty flashes despite being only 28 years old. I have random joint pain from time to time and my doctor said since my TSH is still in the normal range that my symptoms can't be related to my thyroid. I've had my folate and vit b levels checked and they are ok. Here are my test results...

Thyroglobulin antibodies 640
    TSH 1.78 Normal lab range is .5-6
    Free T4 1.1 Normal lab is .7-1.5
    Cortisol 12.3 Normal lab range is 7.8-19.8

any input is greatly appreciated. I am going to try a new doc in hopes he won't dismiss me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
    dontbns

dontbns HB User
    was that thyroid anitbodies? or thyroglobulin antibodies?

my personal experience has been that my thyroid antibodies (anti-tpo) is HIGH at 127 (range 0-35), but my TSH is always normal.

what that means (as explained by my endo) is that my thyroid is currently being attacked.

i'm extremely symptomatic even tho my TSH is normal.

does this help?

my doc says never, ever, go by labs alone. gotta get them to think outside of the box!

Old 06-03-2003, 09:02 AM   #3
    lucy12

lucy12 HB User
    Its the thyroglobulin antibodies that are elevated. Are you on any medications for it? Thanks.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
    dontbns

dontbns HB User
    Question

that's interesting, and perhaps someone else could jump in here....i dont have a thyroglobulin antibodies. only anti-thyroglobulin and thyroid antibodies....hmmmmm.

and yes, i am currently on medication. i also have a nodule.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
    SvenskaFlicka

SvenskaFlicka HB User
    Smile

Hi,

Thyroglobulin antibodies are seen in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves' disease. They may also be seen at lower levels in other thyroid and non-thyroid autoimmune diseases.

Thyroglobulin levels should be undetectable or very low - from undetectable to 100/180 depending on Lab.

If you have tested positive for "thyroid antibodies" but you have a normal TSH, indicates that your thyroid is in the process of autoimmune failure. Not failed yet, and not failed enough to register in the standard TSH thyroid test, but in the process of failing.

Many doctors believe that antibodies alone are NOT reason to treat someone with thyroid hormone

However some endocrinologists believe that the presence of thyroid antibodies alone is enough to warrant treatment with small amounts of thyroid hormone. If you've tested positive for antibodies, and have a TSH in the "normal range," but still don't feel well, you may want to consult with a practitioner who has this philosophy.

------------------
    Flicka

Old 06-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #6
    lucy12

lucy12 HB User
    Just want to say thanks to all for your input. This is a very frustrating time for me and every little bit helps a lot so THANK YOU!

Old 06-03-2003, 02:44 PM   #7
    julied

julied HB User
    Your scenario sounds so similar to mine. I have elevated antibodies but normal tsh, t4, etc. My doctor did the same in terms of dismissing the antibody issue due to normal tsh. I have classic symptoms and am frustrated as well with the lack of understanding. I have found a "top thyroid" doc and am in the process of scheduling an appointment in hopes of getting treatment. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread