It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• anxiety/loss of appetite & flare-up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
    wobbly
    Veteran

wobbly HB User
    Red face anxiety/loss of appetite & flare-up

Hi all,

I'm still battling my autoimmune flare. It's been a long haul. Here are my latest labs:

TSH = 5.47 [0.40-5.50]
    Free T3 = 2.79 [2.30-4.20]
    Free T4 = 1.18 [0.78-1.50]
    Anti-Thyroglob. = 243 [<41--this is down from 511 at start of illness]
    Anti-TPO = 176 [<35--this is down from 213 at start of illness]
    TSI = 103 [<125]

The good news about this is that my gland has obviously stopped dumping T3 and that, as my doctor said, it is burning out quickly which is why the antibodies are reducing.

HOWEVER--I am having some weird symptoms that I hope someone can shed light on. The hormone ranges are a lot more toward the hypo side than my doc likes to keep me...so why am I having a rapid pulse, hot flashes, tremors, anxiety, and loss of appetite?

Right now my doc is doing a block and replace thing with a low dose of lithium (300 mg) at bedtime and starting me on 25 mcg of Synthroid in the a.m. Next week I will up the Synthroid to 50 mcg. I've been doing the meds for 2 days now, and I seemed to be feeling better yesterday and today up till dinner. I felt hungry while cooking dinner, but after a few bites I just couldn't handle eating any more. I should mention that I have had lack of appetite/nausea/trouble eating all through this illness--and even a little bit before my main symptoms started, looking back on it.

The eating thing is really freaking me because I was "quasi-anorexic" for about 6 months back in college (20 years ago). I never got emaciated, but I was very thin (5'6-1/2" and 112 pounds). I realized what I was doing wasn't healthy and began to eat normally again with no trouble. In the past few years my weight has gone normally at about 130 lbs. I have not had any issues with food at all and was happy that I was heavier. Now, when I got sick, I lost my appetite and about 7 lbs, and my doc told me I had to make myself eat so I wouldn't get malnourished. So basically, for 2 months, that's what I've been doing. Hungry or not, interested in food or not, I've determinedly ingested the calories to maintain my weight at 123 lbs. (thinner than I'd like to be, but at least not starving--pretty good considering that for most of that time the smell of food was gagging me!)

Anyway, it's really scaring me that I can't seem to eat normally. I keep telling myself that it took me months to get to this point and it will probably take months to get back to normal, that I've only been back on meds 2 days and I can't expect a full recovery from a 2-month (at least) illness in 2 days, and that I need to take it easy on myself. But inside, I'm terrified that I have some kind of unconscious death wish or that if I don't browbeat myself into eating I'll starve and die. YICKKK!!! I WANT to eat, I WANT my appetite back, I WANT to enjoy my food like normal, but it's getting where I almost dread eating because of all this.

So my question is, has anybody else faced this kind of long-term loss of appetite, did your appetite eventually come back, and how did you handle your relationship to food while you were waiting?

Sorry this is so long, but I'm making up for not posting for such a long time! God bless!

-wobbly

[This message has been edited by wobbly (edited 06-04-2003).]

"Gentlemen, nothing's too good for the proletariat!"
    --Union organizer "Big Bill" Heywood

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    I'm so sorry you are having such problems, its no fun. Don't know if this will help you but I have found that when I feel nausous and ikky I take a glass of ice water and squeeze a whole lemon into it, no sugar, and sip it, it seems to help. Also cold things like frozen strawberries seem to go down easier, if cold foods help, you could even take yogurt and freeze it. I know its hard to eat when you just don't feel like it.
    Hope some of this helps you.
    Take care, hope to hear you are doing better soon.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:15 AM   #3
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User
    Hi Wobbly
    good to hear from you. Have you tried soups? I made myself alot of homemade thick and hearty soups. Quick foods worked for me. I lost my appetite a few times. I did eat because our bodies need the nutrients. I kept alot of fruit in the house. Lunch meat was key for me too. Burgers on the grill worked. Anything quick!!!

Closed Thread