It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Three Years On Synthroid, Symptoms Worse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2003, 02:16 AM   #1
    julbox

julbox HB User
    Unhappy Three Years On Synthroid, Symptoms Worse

I have been on synthroid since I was diagnosed three years ago with Hashimotos. My hair is thinner than ever, my weight higher than ever, and my skin drier than ever. Everytime I see my doctor he just changes the dosage on the synthroid and it never helps at all. My insurance company doesn't cover many doctors in this specialty field and the only other doctor besides mine cannot see me until August. I am tempted to just quit taking the synthroid because this hair loss thing is getting so bad, so fast and I was told it was mainly due to the synthroid. If I ever do get placed on the right meds, will my hair and weight ever return to normal and is it dangerous to stop taking the synthroid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 09:18 AM   #2
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User
    Sounds to me like you need more medicine upped. You are still having hypo symptoms. Have you had any new bloodwork done and what are your results?

Old 06-13-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Synthroid may be the wrong med for you, not all meds are created equal and your body may not be responding to synthroid. Ask for a brand change and see what happens, keep in mind it may take a while to find the one that works for you.
    I have a friend that was on synthroid and she lost hair and gained weight, she switched to another brand and is doing better, also I had a lab tech tell me once when I had bloodwork done that synthroid makes you loose more hair, and I have heard others say the same. Some will say no, meds don't do that, but too many people I have heard of have had that happen on synthroid, so I think there is a connection, it may have to do with ones body and how you react to the chemicals in the meds, it doesn't affect everone the same.
    Also, I have heard that if you do not feel a change in symptoms after being on a certain med for a while than you need to try another because that one is not right for you.
    Ask for another brand of med, see if that helps, if the doc refuses, get a new doc.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Closed Thread