It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hi! I'm new with some questions.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
    tetramoria
    (female)

tetramoria HB User
    Hi! I'm new with some questions.

Hi Everyone,

I joined these message boards because I am seeking advice and guidance about what I think is a hypothyroidism issue.

I have *ridiculous* symptoms. As in:
    I'm always cold,
    I gained ~60 pounds over the course of a year without changing anything. Dieted/fasted and nada. nothing. zip. I lose a pound, I gain a pound.
    My skin bruises easily, my nails are so brittle they snap off and flake, with ridges, my hair is thinning so much you can see my scalp
    I have ligament laxity and have injured myself to the point of needing 3 ligament repairs
    I have deQuervain's tenosynovitis, plantar fasciitis, a torn hip flexor...
    Vertigo, tinnitus, extreme fatigue, insomnia
    Family history of thyroid disease.

I've cut out gluten, raw goitrogens, all soy, dairy, nightshades.

So the "doctors" test me for hypothyroidism and every time they say it's normal and they tell me to "eat less move more" (until my last ligament surgery, I was exercising 8 hours a week min).

Here are my numbers for the only 2 tests the stingy health"care" provider have been willing to get me: TSH - 3.43 uIU/ml, free T4 - 0.94 ng/dL. And they are within the range provided so he does nothing, other than to tell me again to eat less and move more. So I did some research about acceptable ranges, and possibly the TSH is not normal?

I sent the "doctor" with my research, my pitch for a full thyroid panel (TSH, T4, free T4, T3, free T3, T3 uptake, reverse T3, TPO Ab, Tg Ab) and all he is willing to do is TPO Ab (I have a fairly recent TSH and free T4 so that's all good, but none of the others), which I guess is a minor win.

Do you guys think I should push back and try to get the additional tests? What could fall through the cracks if I don't get the other tests done?
    What are you guys' thoughts on the existing test #s, specifically the TSH?

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
    jenknee54
    (female)

jenknee54 HB User
    Re: Hi! I'm new with some questions.

Hi! Just joined the board today. I've had a LOT of back and forth with my numbers and symptoms over the years. I'm finally trying to get my thyroid figured out once and for all because I get symptoms when the numbers say I'm fine. What I've read somewhere else is that the "normal range" can actually vary from person to person, so your ideal range might be a smaller window then the average normal range. There's not a ton of info I could find about this, though. It's frustrating!

Bottom line though: when it comes to your health, and you feel like something isn't right, push back. There are also a lot of other things that mimic these symptoms. It could be thyroid or something else, but if your doctor is just shrugging off your symptoms and not attempting to find an answer, maybe it's time to find a new doctor. I would think testing for even just a fT3 shouldn't be TOO inconvenient for him.

ALSO (just remembered this bit), each doctor's office goes off of their own normal range. My GP's range for TSH is 0.5-4.7. BUT my endo's office is 0.3-3.0. By my endo's office, you'd be hypo. If you'd gone to my GP they would've said you were fine and sent you on your way. I always find this a little frustrating because my last endo appt. was 0.39 and he said "You're fine, see you in 6 months" but I didn't feel fine, and based on that number, my GP would've changed my dose. It really just depends where you go.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
    HelpfulMin
    (female)

HelpfulMin HB User

Have you had all of your vitamins checked including copper?

Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Tetramoria,

What if your doctor happens to be right and your thyroid is not the cause of your symptoms? Then what if you find another doctor who says it is your thyroid and wants to give you medication that you don't really need?

If we had more information, we might be able to see other possible causes, perhaps dietary. For example, you said you gained 60 pounds but neglected to give your height and weight (BMI). Did you go from 100lb. to 160lb., or perhaps 300lb. to 360lb?

Then you said you dieted and fasted but didn't say what type of diet you followed. Was it Keto? Adkins? Paleo? Other?

You told us what you cut out of your diet but didn't say what's in your diet. For example, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

We don't have your age: You could be 20, 55, or 85+. Age can make a big difference.

You mentioned several health issues: Are you taking medications for them? Prescriptions or over-the-counter meds?

Do you take vitamins or protein shakes?

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-11-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added question

Old 09-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
    Stellatum
    (female)

Stellatum HB UserStellatum HB User

I'm sorry you are going through this. It's so horrible not to have a diagnosis! Please google Ehlers-Danlos and POTS and see if you think those are worth looking into.

Reply Reply