It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Thyroidectomy to happen December 7 2018. I am scared

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
divine1111
(female)

divine1111 HB User
Thyroidectomy to happen December 7 2018. I am scared

Well from suspicious cells from a slightly grown nodule to receiving that i am high risk from a genetic test, I am scheduled to have a thyroidectomy on December 7th and I am so scared. Supposely the surgeon says its not cancer at this time but the sooner i take it out, the less chance of getting cancer. I am so scared that I won't find the right balance with sinthroid or any of the others. I took sinthroid for like a few days and could not take it. It totally made me feel as though I am going to jump out of my body! I am afraid that I may come down now with all these health issues because my hormones won't adapt from medication. I will be turning 60 shortly. Can anyone share their experience with me please? I am really anxious/nervous.

Has anyone gone to a naturopath after a thyroidectomy? Has anyone tried different thyroid hormone replacement that is more natural or easy for the body to adapt compared to sinthroid? Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Ann5
(female)

Ann5 HB User
Re: Thyroidectomy to happen December 7 2018. I am scared

Armor is natural better than synthroid also i would not remove a thyroid if no cancer i dnt understand why they would

Old 11-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
divine1111
(female)

divine1111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann5 View Post
Armor is natural better than synthroid also i would not remove a thyroid if no cancer i dnt understand why they would

Because the nodule grew, its deep into the thyroid and it carries suspicious cells, that is why they want to remove it and they are comfortable to just take it all.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear divine,

Is the nodule growing? Even if it is, it may still be harmless.

If you are in the US, you are entitled to second and even third opinion outside your insurance medical group. Since there is no cancer, personally I would exercise that right. Removing the thyroid just in case can be serving the surgeon that is getting paid more than it is serving your best interest. Don't be afraid, but educate yourself and be wise.

That said, yes a US based naturopath can prescribe appropriate thyroid hormone replacement. When I even suggested possible thyroid surgery my endocrinologist said 'No, when there is no cancer there is no reason to remove it'.

Always be careful when a doctor offers surgery based on 'just in case'. I would get other medical opinion and stay with a doctor that says, let's watch and keep track of what is going on. That's just my opinion, so be sure to do what you believe is right for you.

Here is some info to help you make decisions.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thyroid-nodules/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355266

Love,

Old 11-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
divine1111
(female)

divine1111 HB User

Hi. Thank you for responding YaYa. The nodule grew a bit within a years time and it came back suspicious cells. They sent it to genetic and it came back high risk for aggressive thyroid cancer. So somewhere in my ancestral lineage, someone has thyroid cancer.

Do you still feel the same as you wrote to me?

Thanks so much!

I am in Chicago.

P.S. I looked at the link you sent me and because my nodule has suspicious cells, this is what the mayo clinic says

Nodules diagnosed as indeterminate or suspicious by a biopsy also need surgical removal, so they can be examined for signs of cancer.

The surgeon said no cancer at the moment but he can't say 100% until he opens.

Last edited by divine1111; 11-10-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Thumbs up Re: Thyroidectomy to happen December 7 2018. I am scared

Dear divine1111,

Hon, I directed you to the Mayo experts so you can see that they support the surgeons' findings, so let that comfort you. Surgery at the neck can be scary and seems radical, but they surgeon barely enters the skin and I have read it is one of the simplest surgeries to recover from. The main thing is that you are going to get your hormones rebalanced and you are going to be OK. Thyroid hormone is perfectly safe. Yes, if taking too much too fast, it raises the heart rate, but it is simple to lower the dose, or change thyroid brands.

The synthetic hormone Synthroid dose you were given may have been too high for your needs. There are many natural thyroid hormones and other brands rather than Synthroid.

You can ask for a copy of your thyroid hormone test results and post them here. My opinion is that if your tests revealed that you are low in thyroid hormone they should have started you on a low dose then worked up. It takes about six weeks then a test to find out if you are at a healthy level for your personal needs.

I understand your worries, but thyroid surgery is one of the least invasive and easiest to recover from, I have read. IMO, NO worries, your doctor has very good reasons for deciding to remove the thyroid, and the hormone is perfectly safe to take.

Many are like me and need the natural thyroid hormone rather than the synthetic (Synthroid). Some professionals say it makes no difference, but many people don't use synthetic well. I'm one of those. A very knowledgeable doctor will know these facts. If not, then find another doctor. Good ones are out there.

We have to find out by trial how much thyroid hormone we need because everyone has different needs. You do need a thyroid expert because there are too many doctors that don't understand thyroid or how to discern what we need. Try looking for one in your area on Yelp.

Sorry if I repeated myself.
I hope this info helps you relax.

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 11-13-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
divine1111
(female)

divine1111 HB User

Thanks, YaYa. You were very informative and I appreciate your comfort. I have calmed down a bit but at times still feel anxious. Regarding natural hormones, I would have to find someone in my insurance network and perhaps they won't believe in the natural hormone. It will take some time to adjust and find the right person but I am definitely aware.

Thank you so much!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear divine,

I'm so, so happy to give you support!

I think it's natural to feel anxious. This is not 'nothing'! Of course I also want to offer hope based on the facts as I know them. I was encouraged early on in my thyroid saga by someone that had answered some of my posts somewhere many years ago, and I am very glad to pay it forward.

You can start right now with calling pharmacies or going to them and ask if any doctors are prescribing Nature Throid or any other natural thyroid, and if so ask for the doctor's names, and write them down. I do that if I have to move to a new area away from my trusted doctors. I also have had great thyroid care from some nurse practitioners.

I would then search the names of the professionals in your area (entering the city, state and doctor name) on Yelp to see what patients say about him or her. Then phone the medical practice and ask if they take your insurance.

This really works, and I find great professionals that way. I also let them know up front when I meet them that the way I work is to get all the professional info I can then make my own decisions and ask if they can work with me on that. Almost always they are glad to say yes, because they want patients to take responsibility for their own health. I say almost only because I don't remember ever having a doctor disagree with my philosophy. I admit I have thought I had a great doctor then found out otherwise, and I simply stopped going there.

You probably already know how to do that for yourself.
I think you are going to be OK.

Love,

Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Amanda8664
(female)

Amanda8664 HB User

Total thyroidectomy 10 years ago. Took about 6-9 months to get the Synthroid at the right dosage but since then absolutely no issues. My thyroid was hard as a rock and pushing on my throat. Was having a hard time swallowing and eating. Had surgery on Friday, was back to work Monday. It is a very easy recovery. Neck is a bit sore after but nothing a couple Tylenol won't take care of. I wish you the best.

Reply Reply