It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board

  • PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
    EboneyC
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 7
    EboneyC HB User
    Question PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Good evening
    I am 36 years old and I have recently been dealing with thyroid issues. I went to my doctor and all he tested was my TSH,so I found a naturopath who listened and understood my symptoms.

    I had a full thyroid panel done. My TSH was normal 1.65,free t3 was very low ,free t4 was very low and my thyroid antibodies were at 16.

    My naturopath put me on 60mg desicated thyroid in the AM and mid afternoon 5mcg cytomel I felt great for about two weeks but then I felt the exact same again. Still bloated,tired and sluggish.

    3 months on my meds and we checked my blood my t4 DROPPED from 11.1 to 9.1 which is below the reference range. My t3 went up from 3.32 to 3.86

    My doctor then upped my desicated thyroid to 90 mg and t3 15mg

    Today I did blood work for something separate and my TSH is 0.02!!!!!! *** why is my thyroid getting weaker ? Iím so confused. I donít know if I should stop going to her and go see an actual endocrinologist??

    PLEASE help if you can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

     
    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
    alwyzscrd
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 46
    alwyzscrd HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EboneyC View Post
    Good evening
    I am 36 years old and I have recently been dealing with thyroid issues. I went to my doctor and all he tested was my TSH,so I found a naturopath who listened and understood my symptoms.

    I had a full thyroid panel done. My TSH was normal 1.65,free t3 was very low ,free t4 was very low and my thyroid antibodies were at 16.

    My naturopath put me on 60mg desicated thyroid in the AM and mid afternoon 5mcg cytomel I felt great for about two weeks but then I felt the exact same again. Still bloated,tired and sluggish.

    3 months on my meds and we checked my blood my t4 DROPPED from 11.1 to 9.1 which is below the reference range. My t3 went up from 3.32 to 3.86

    My doctor then upped my desicated thyroid to 90 mg and t3 15mg

    Today I did blood work for something separate and my TSH is 0.02!!!!!! *** why is my thyroid getting weaker ? Iím so confused. I donít know if I should stop going to her and go see an actual endocrinologist??

    PLEASE help if you can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Your TSH is low because your body is calling for less thyroid hormone because of the medication you have taken. Usually a lower than normal TSH means hyperthyroidism and higher TSH means hypothyroid. You need to get to a real doctor and have them run a full thyroid function panel and check for hashimotos as well. Hope this helps.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
    EboneyC
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 7
    EboneyC HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alwyzscrd View Post
    Your TSH is low because your body is calling for less thyroid hormone because of the medication you have taken. Usually a lower than normal TSH means hyperthyroidism and higher TSH means hypothyroid. You need to get to a real doctor and have them run a full thyroid function panel and check for hashimotos as well. Hope this helps.
    Thank you ,I am going to look for an endocrinologist tomorrow
    Iíve never been hyper in my life. So these low levels and to much medicine seem to be putting my in that category

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
    EboneyC
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 7
    EboneyC HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alwyzscrd View Post
    Your TSH is low because your body is calling for less thyroid hormone because of the medication you have taken. Usually a lower than normal TSH means hyperthyroidism and higher TSH means hypothyroid. You need to get to a real doctor and have them run a full thyroid function panel and check for hashimotos as well. Hope this helps.
    Do you think the 90mg desicated thyroid is to much ?
    Or the 15mcg cytomel?

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #5
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    yayagirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: USA
    Posts: 2,473
    yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Dear Eboney,

    Hon, no reader can guess how much thyroid hormone is best for you.

    Some Naturopaths know every bit as much about thyroid test results and treatments as some medical endocrinologists, and in my experience, some Naturopaths do know more. It just depends on the individual, your own needs. A great thyroid doctor knows that he/she needs to pay attention to the Free T3 and Free T4 test results, not just TSH or T3 or T4. And, other balances come into the health picture, such as Calcium and Magnesium and other hormones and nutrients to which a really knowledgeable doctor will pay attention.

    The thyroid amount that brings my body into balance might be way too much or way too little for you. You have your own needs, and that is discovered by checking on your symptoms, not just the lab values.

    Thyroid issues really are not rocket science. but definitely whoever created the scales and formulations created an unnecessarily complicated set of 'rules'. The fact is that every person has unique hormone needs. My TSH always must be suppressed close to 1 or my thyroid level is too low and I have hypo symptoms. I used to get by with taking thyroid hormone once every morning, but now I need to supplement it twice a day. You have your own unique needs that will only be discovered by trial, so be sure to report your symptoms to your doctor about six weeks after a dose change. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to effect a change.

    The fact is that thyroid test results by themselves are not sufficient, it takes weeks of consistent medication, not days, to know what a dose change will accomplish; recovery from the result of hormone imbalance can even take months.

    One way to find the more knowledgeable doctors is to ask pharmacists for names of doctors that prescribe natural thyroid, such as Armour, for example. Naturopaths in America are held to very rigorous and very high standards and are often better about hormones and for thyroid issues than many GP's. But we need to learn on our own as well so that we can tell the difference. I once had for a doctor the chief of staff of endocrinology who understood practically nothing about thyroid issues and didn't want to learn. His specialty was diabetes, not thyroid. There are learned doctors and ignorant ones just like any other profession.
    __________________
    ~ YaYa ~

    Last edited by Administrator; 03-19-2019 at 12:39 AM.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
    EboneyC
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 7
    EboneyC HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear Eboney,

    Hon, no reader can guess how much thyroid hormone is best for you.

    Some Naturopaths know every bit as much about thyroid test results and treatments as some medical endocrinologists, and in my experience, some Naturopaths do know more. It just depends on the individual, your own needs. A great thyroid doctor knows that he/she needs to pay attention to the Free T3 and Free T4 test results, not just TSH or T3 or T4. And, other balances come into the health picture, such as Calcium and Magnesium and other hormones and nutrients to which a really knowledgeable doctor will pay attention.

    The thyroid amount that brings my body into balance might be way too much or way too little for you. You have your own needs, and that is discovered by checking on your symptoms, not just the lab values.

    Thyroid issues really are not rocket science. but definitely whoever created the scales and formulations created an unnecessarily complicated set of 'rules'. The fact is that every person has unique hormone needs. My TSH always must be suppressed close to 1 or my thyroid level is too low and I have hypo symptoms. I used to get by with taking thyroid hormone once every morning, but now I need to supplement it twice a day. You have your own unique needs that will only be discovered by trial, so be sure to report your symptoms to your doctor about six weeks after a dose change. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to effect a change.

    The fact is that thyroid test results by themselves are not sufficient, it takes weeks of consistent medication, not days, to know what a dose change will accomplish; recovery from the result of hormone imbalance can even take months.

    One way to find the more knowledgeable doctors is to ask pharmacists for names of doctors that prescribe natural thyroid, such as Armour, for example. Naturopaths in America are held to very rigorous and very high standards and are often better about hormones and for thyroid issues than many GP's. But we need to learn on our own as well so that we can tell the difference. I once had for a doctor the chief of staff of endocrinology who understood practically nothing about thyroid issues and didn't want to learn. His specialty was diabetes, not thyroid. There are learned doctors and ignorant ones just like any other profession.


    Wow. Thank you so so much for that. This is day 10 on the higher dose. I will continue on this dose for the 3 month course and get labs after 8 weeks as my naturopath suggested.

    When she test me she does a full panel TSH. Free t3. Free t4. TPO

    Why do you say I should check my calcium and magnesium? To do work the absorption of the pills Iím assuming?

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    yayagirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: USA
    Posts: 2,473
    yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Dear Eboney,

    You're very welcome.
    Your doctor seems very thorough. Be sure to take notes of your symptoms about once a week (not every day) so you can report to your doctor at the next appointment.

    Some people are like me, noticing every little change. If so, write it down and then let go of it. (I once took a hot bath after taking niacin and I thought acid must have been in the water....nope, just a normal side effect of the skin heating up from the niacin.) It's very important to know side effects and to learn about the effects of combinations.

    I mention calcium and magnesium because taking those too close to when taking thyroid can interfere with the thyroid absorption. Always take thyroid meds on an empty stomach an hour or two apart from other meds/drugs. This is hard for me as I want cream in my morning coffee and calcium binds with thyroid so I have to get up early to take the thyroid, then wait at least an hour and a half for it to digest. Some say to wait two hours.
    __________________
    ~ YaYa ~

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
    EboneyC
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 7
    EboneyC HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear Eboney,

    You're very welcome.
    Your doctor seems very thorough. Be sure to take notes of your symptoms about once a week (not every day) so you can report to your doctor at the next appointment.

    Some people are like me, noticing every little change. If so, write it down and then let go of it. (I once took a hot bath after taking niacin and I thought acid must have been in the water....nope, just a normal side effect of the skin heating up from the niacin.) It's very important to know side effects and to learn about the effects of combinations.

    I mention calcium and magnesium because taking those too close to when taking thyroid can interfere with the thyroid absorption. Always take thyroid meds on an empty stomach an hour or two apart from other meds/drugs. This is hard for me as I want cream in my morning coffee and calcium binds with thyroid so I have to get up early to take the thyroid, then wait at least an hour and a half for it to digest. Some say to wait two hours.
    Thank you so much. Iím so appreciative I found this board. Thatís a great idea. To monitor my symptoms weekly.

    Last nite from 10pm - 1 am my heart was bouncing between 90 and 110 beats. Which of course freaked me and and Iím sure my thoughts made it worse. I know that this can be a side effect of the medicine

    Like I stayed before my TSH went from 1.56 to 0.02 which is definitely in the hyper range ,I guess thatís where the late nite faster heart beats are coming in.


    I take my 90 mg desicated thyroid at 6 am everyday and my 15 mcg of t3 at 4pm

    I think I will take my t3 earlier in the day. To maybe avoid the faster heart beats at nite. Do you think that will help ?

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    yayagirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: USA
    Posts: 2,473
    yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Dear EboneyC,

    What were your doctor's orders? I do need to split my thyroid dose (doctor orders), but I never take any type of thyroid past 2 PM at the very latest or it keeps me awake.

    What I think is that 4 PM may be way too late in the day for the fast acting T3.
    Do you know why the doctor ordered the T3?

    If you cannot rest and sleep tell your doctor, who may tell you to take the T3 earlier in the day or not at all. Once your body adjusts to converting the T4 into usable T3 you might not even need to supplement with pure T3.
    __________________
    ~ YaYa ~

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
    EboneyC
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 7
    EboneyC HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear EboneyC,

    What were your doctor's orders? I do need to split my thyroid dose (doctor orders), but I never take any type of thyroid past 2 PM at the very latest or it keeps me awake.

    What I think is that 4 PM may be way too late in the day for the fast acting T3.
    Do you know why the doctor ordered the T3?

    If you cannot rest and sleep tell your doctor, who may tell you to take the T3 earlier in the day or not at all. Once your body adjusts to converting the T4 into usable T3 you might not even need to supplement with pure T3.


    She has me on desicated thyroid first thing in the morning. And she said mid afternoon to take cytomel ,my TSH was normal 1.56 and she said synthroid could possibly lower it.

    Low and behold it lowered on the desicated. I assume my body will need time to adjust. I will start taking my cytomel earlier on in the afternoon.

    Iím on desicated and t3 because my t4 and t3 levels were both low. She said she wanted to get them both into the higher end of the reference range.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    yayagirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: USA
    Posts: 2,473
    yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Dear Eboney,

    T4 has to be converted by the body to the usable component called T3. Cytomel is the name of manufactured pure T3. Likely the T3 was prescribed because your Dr wants your thyroid levels to get as close to normal as soon as possible.

    Be sure to notify your doctor if your heart seems to race or you have a problem sleeping. That may mean the T3 needs to be reduced or stopped. But don't be spooked. Too much or too little thyroid can cause either kind of symptoms.

    My body doesn't convert the man-made T4 thyroid pills to enough T3, which is why I was prescribed the natural desiccated thyroid. My body does convert the desiccated or natural thyroid well. Every person is unique.

    Thyroid issues take time to improve, and it is imperative that you relax and rest and eat right and take care of yourself.
    Let us know how you are doing.
    __________________
    ~ YaYa ~

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #12
    ana68944
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 10
    ana68944 HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    You should definitely go to a thyroid specialist. I have Hashimoto's for 10 years and it can be complicated if you don't take the right medication. I am now on a maximum of 150mg Euthyrox. Good luck

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
    EboneyC
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Posts: 7
    EboneyC HB User
    Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed on medicine

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ana68944 View Post
    You should definitely go to a thyroid specialist. I have Hashimoto's for 10 years and it can be complicated if you don't take the right medication. I am now on a maximum of 150mg Euthyrox. Good luck

    I was tested for that also. My numbers didnít corilate with me having Hashimotos. My doctor lowered my dose of desicated,I am going to re test in 8 weeks and if the numbers are still wonky then I will seek out an endocrinologist

     
    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply

    Tags
    armour, cytomel, help asap, thyroid



    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!