It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypo questions???

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
    Theoneyouknow
    (male)

Theoneyouknow HB User
    Hypo questions???

Early 50s male. Diagnosed last spring with hypothyroid. Started synthroid 75mg every morning felt awesome may june july into August started draging....I mean I felt great
    Sex drive awesome, losing weight ( I'm also keto dieting ) full of energy....now im tired again , sex drive sucks.......definately dont feel the same......recently my numbers came back great......any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Hypo questions???

Hi,

Fad diets can be great in the short term but terrible in the long run. It may also depend on how closely the diet is followed. I read about one diet where the author said, "Eat all the meat you want, it's healthy."

If you read about a diet that puts no limits on animal protein and nothing is said about how much natural fiber you need, that should raise a red flag. An adequate diet should include about 35 grams of fiber per day from a wide variety of natural whole plant foods. (Boxed cereals or supplements are not considered to be natural whole foods.)

This will have an effect on your whole system, including your immune system, digestion, energy, bowel regularity and more.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
    Theoneyouknow
    (male)

Theoneyouknow HB User

Maybe keto is a fad, however it works. I have recently.added fruit.back to my diet......I will never go back to fast food or.processed foods......my.only.sins are beer and.diet.soda now and then........most.people.dont have.my.will power unfortunately.......and I go to the bathroom everyday........

Old 09-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Theoneyouknow View Post
    Maybe keto is a fad, however it works. I have recently.added fruit.back to my diet......I will never go back to fast food or.processed foods......my.only.sins are beer and.diet.soda now and then........most.people.dont have.my.will power unfortunately.......and I go to the bathroom everyday........
    Glad to hear that you added fruit back to your diet. Fruit is a good source of fiber. And it's good that you're determined not to go back to fast food or processed foods. I have been completely off of fast foods for many years now.

This may be difficult to believe if you have never heard of it before but 70% of your immune system is regulated by microflora living in your lower digestive system. In case you want to do some research on it, this community of microorganisms is officially known as "microbiota". These organisms feed and thrive on fiber. When they are thriving they produce B12, vitamin k, and melatonin just to name a few items.

Also, they function to maintain the integrity of the intestinal walls of your small intestine and colon. Your intestines have a delicate coating that is only one cell thick and when it's in good working order it allows important nutrients to enter your bloodstream, but at the same time it keeps bacteria and undigested protein out of your bloodstream. This super thin lining is known as epithelium. There's also a mucus lining that is maintained by these microorganisms.

So what happens when there's not enough fiber for these organisms to feed on? They don't do well and they decrease in number. Then the protective intestinal coating begins to break down and bacteria are able to enter your blood stream. This is known as intestinal hyper-permeability - often referred to as "leaky-gut syndrome" in case you want to research it. When this happens your immune system begins to fight the bactrial invasion in the only way it knows. It produces inflammation in your body. If this condition is not corrected it can bring on any number of autoimmune diseases, including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. When this happens, people with CF will go to the doctor and be told that everything is fine, according to all the testing.

Also, with a lack of fiber you may still be able to have a bowel movement every day. I know because I had this happen to me, about 18 years ago. I was following a diet regimen that I thought was normal but my bowel movements were not easy. I had small hard stools until I finally decided it was time to change my regimen. But what happens when a high protein diet persists over a long period of time? Your intestines can become ruptured. These ruptures are known as diverticula and can lead to a condition known as diverticulitis. That's when the ruptures become inflamed.

Lack of fiber can also lead to Hemorrhoids which can, in time, become bleeding-hemorrhoids.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User

Hi Theoneyouknow,

Hypothyroid has nothing whatsoever to do with your diet. it is a thyroid hormone deficiency that needs to be corrected by taking thyroid orally. With thyroid the numbers may be great but not optimal for you. A good endo knows this. Other endos watch the numbers exclusively.

However, I think the downer you are in is likely from the carbs that you drink, as well as the vitamins and minerals from other food that is lacking from your diet.

The Keto diet provides protein. It does not provide the vitamins and minerals the body requires. Beer occasionally isn't so bad, except for the empty carbs and it slows the brain, but the chemicals in diet soda are VERY bad. It would be better to drink the regular sugar. Or hey, it would be better to cut soda carbs out altogether.

What I wonder about is why you are bothering with the Keto diet while drinking concentrated sugar and carbs? This is not about whether the keto diet "works'. It can cause weight loss to avoid carbs. But you are not even avoiding carbs.

Whole dark colored fruit and vegetables provide fiber plus trace minerals and vitamins that the body requires to be healthy. My husband went on the Keto diet for quite awhile and loved it. Then his body need for healthy carbs made him begin overloading on the unhealthy carbs again.

It is far better to discipline ourselves and eat a balanced healthy diet and cut out the junk foods.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
    Theoneyouknow
    (male)

Theoneyouknow HB User

I was full keto hard core in the beginning. Only after a 38 pound weight loss did I start introducing carbs in the form of fruit ...and like i said beer is my sin.......and there is nothing good in any soda....diet or otherwise......

Reply Reply