It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Endo changing dosage without testing TSH?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
    Anonymous487

Anonymous487 HB User
    Endo changing dosage without testing TSH?

Hey there, Iím hoping to get some guidance and advice because Iíve been frustrated with my Levothyroxine dose for a few years now. Some background: iím a 37 y/o female and was diagnosed with papillary/follicular variant thyroid cancer at 25. I had a total thyroidectomy and a few rounds of iodine treatments. Since then, Iíve been cancer free. I started on Levo and was at 175mcg at the beginning, and Iíve slowly gone down to 137mcg. My doctor had me switch to 137 because he said my bloodwork warranted the results, but I told him that about 6-8 weeks after the switch, I started to gain weight a lot easier, needed 9-10 hours of sleep a night, and my hair started to thin out. I also got cold a lot easier and my fingers and toes were always freezing in the winter, and I just felt off. He tested me again to make sure and said my bloodwork still warranted the 137 dosage. So for the last two years or so, Iíve just lived with it. I started to get really serious about my weight (I was probably 20lbs overweight before my dose was switched to 137) and since my last appt a year ago, I lost 12 lbs. I know itís not a lot, but I really watch what I eat and workout like crazy, and itís still so hard to lose weight. Just the other day at my yearly Endo appt, he said my labs indicated a lower dose to 128mcg (not exactly sure, but it was 120-something). I asked why and he said I was overstimulated more than needed, even for a cancer patient, and since I had lost weight, that probably prompted the change in my labs. I took a look at my labs (honestly, for the first time in years) and he only tested me for Thyroglobulin and Thyroglobulin antibodies. No TSH or anything else. Iím the kind of person who usually just does whatever the doctor says because Iím sure itís hard for them for everyone to come in and say ďwell, I read this online ...Ē after they went through years of medical school. But Iím actually terrified to go on this lower dose when I feel like iím already struggling with my current one. And I reiterated my symptoms to him at my most recent visit. I was more or less told that labs donít lie and if I continue to lose weight, I should feel better. Should I ask to be tested for the standard thyroid panels? Even if Iím a cancer thyroid patient, is it standard to only test for Thyroglobulin? Is questioning him warranted? I would just love any advice from those more experienced than myself. Thank you so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply