It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• recent labs & question regarding symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Post recent labs & question regarding symptoms

my most recent labs:

5.99 TSH .30-2.5 (range)
    1.25 T3Free 1.45-3.48 (range)
    1.3 Thyroxine Free .7-1.9 (range)

I had RAI done last November and as you can see, my labs are still a little off. About two months ago, I started having panic attacks, general anxiety and ALOT of brain fog. I want SOO badly for it to be because of my thyroid. it just seems so weird that the closer my labs come to normal, the crappier I feel. Has ANYBODY experienced this? Lately, I feel I've started sinking into a depression because of the anxiety -- I'm just sick of dealing with it.

I guess I just want to see if I can get any takes on my labs having anything to do w/ my anxiety? My Levoxyl dose was upped to 200 mcg after the labs so I'm really trying to hang in there for my labs to get normal before I try anti-anxiety/depression meds or CBT. Any responses are really appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
    DeadPaladin

DeadPaladin HB User
    i have about the same prob as you do...with the exception that i have antibodies(hashimotos) and my hormones are ion normal ranges except from tsh.

panic begun about a year ago...it came and go ...the last 5-6 months it was anxiety that took over ...

i m not on any medication right now...cause the endos dont give me one...due to high anxiety as they say..
    i am on anxiolytic medication (xanax) 1.5 mg daily for about 2 months now ...seen no REAL progress though my panic attacks are no more and my anxiety is not always as it used to be.i ll start CBT probably in the next weeks.

Hypo can produce many symptoms such as the brain fog that you mentioned that can cause an anxiety attack because they are scary symptoms.i dont believe hypo is the primary cause of the anxiety but it triggers many symptoms that cause panic and anxiety dissorder.
    Hypo is surely a primary cause of depression.

Hope that i helped you a little bit.

------------------
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:21 PM   #3
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    BrandeKristene, Boy your T3 is low!!! No wonder you have so much anxiety. Doesn't look like your body is converting the T4(Synthroid or Levoxyl). You need a T3/T4 drug like Armour anyway. Have you asked for it? IWL

Old 09-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Thank you both for your responses!

DeadPaladin -- I have been taking xanax as needed and I get sooo mad at myself on the days I need it -- mostly at work. And I think your right about the brain fog sometimes bringing it on. But then, I don't know what came first, the anxiety or the brain fog, because I dont' really remember having brain fog before my first panic attack ;p -- good luck to you in CBT, I've heard really great things about it and wish you the best!

Iwannalife -- no, ive not ask for T3, I just keep hoping that mine will continue to go up with each upped dose (i've been upped 4x since January)... this is the closest it's been to "normal" since I was hyper last November.

How is it T3 can affect anxiety/panic attacks and if I can get my Dr. to perscribe it, will I feel better quickly??

Thanks again

[This message has been edited by brandekristene (edited 09-24-2003).]

Old 09-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    Some psychiatrists actually prescribe Cytomel(T3) because it helps with anxiety. I think it just makes your body stop pulling energy from adrenal glands in the form of adrenalin and helps regulate your hormones. Many people(ME), if we take enough Synthroid or Levoxyl to get our T3 high enough, we end up toxing out on T4. That's why I'm such an Armour fan. I love my T3!!! With no thyroid, you're going to eventually need something like Armour anyway. I did okay for about 3 years after RAI(1997), but only okay, never as good as before; then I crashed because a T4 drug couldn't do the trick anymore. If they would have just put me on Armour to start with, I wouldn't have lost the last 3 1/2 years. Your TSH needs to be around 1 and your T3 at the high end of norm. Your T4 is already close to okay, so with the med increase you'll probably start feeling hyper(not in a good way). You don't need anti-depressants, just T3 in the form of either adding cytomel to your existing drug or changing to Armour. Armour has my vote since it has T1 and T2 also. Remember your lab #'s don't mean you're "normal", you're symptoms are what you need to go by. Many on this board tried the AD's and they don't help if you still feel awful in other ways. They do make it harder to get up off the couch and bother the dr. though. I remember telling(almost yelling) my dr. that yes I'm sure my lab tests felt fine, but I didn't. He heard me(Dr.#6). Hang in there. Hugs, IWL

Old 09-25-2003, 03:44 AM   #6
    Sky_Eagle1
    Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
    I don't have much to add here...you really need Armour...your FT3, the measurement of your active thyroid hormone, is LOW LOW LOW...I'd be surprised if you weren't really messed up symptom wise...

I'm here hoping you can get to feeling somewhat better....hopefully the doctor hasn't been leaving you like this. :-(

Closed Thread