It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Could cytomel make me go hypER?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2003, 01:45 PM   #1
    woodswoman

woodswoman HB User
    Post Could cytomel make me go hypER?

Hi - I've been on cytomel 5mcg for 3 weeks, could it make me go hypER? Ive been noticing that it keeps me up when I take my second dose too late, and last night I went to sleep at 11:30, woke up at 2:30, couldn't fall asleep until 5:30, up at 7:30 for the day, and I'm not dragging?

I'm only on the cytomel, I'm scheduled for a recheck soon. My TSH of 9/25 was 4.66 (.3-5.6)
    T4 6.9 (4.5-12)
    THBR 1.1 (.8-1.2)

I'm thinking that I will be on a T4 med soon.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
    Rachelyne

Rachelyne HB User
    You have to take the second dose one hour before dinner. My Doctor told me if I take it before bed it will make me not to go to sleep. I have a hard time taking my Calcium and Cytomel at least 3 hours apart. I have to take Calcium three times a day.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Some people sleep BETTER when taking the Cytomel It is possible that it is making you hyper, but it is also possible and likely that your body just hasn't adjusted to the T3 yet, and that you are getting an adrenaline spike due to the sterss on your body that the sudden introduction of T3 is causing.

My recommended times for taking Cytomel for most people is first thing in the morning, and at lunch time, so if you are taking it later than about 2:00 in the afternoon (assuming a bedtime of 10pm) then you are probably taking it too late.

Unlike T4 meds, you CAN take Cytomel with food to slow its absorbtion, as long as the food isn't iron rich or calcium rich. The result is a slower, timed-release effect rather that the quick absorbtion and rush you get from taking it on an empty stomach. Many people find that this works better for them. Cytomel is the ONLY thyroid med that should be taken like that, though.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
    Rachelyne

Rachelyne HB User
    Thank you Meep. I have taken Cytomel few times close to my bed time(because I wanted to space my calcium and Cytomel) and I slept fine as you said.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:08 PM   #5
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Talking

i HOPE you're on synthroid (T4) soon ... your nurse practitioner is very foolish or ignorant if, with a TSH of 4.66, you're not either on armour or cytomel ... the TSH range used to be .5 to 5.0, but i was DX'd when my TSH was 3.9; your range ought to be somewhere around 1 or less (if you're having symptoms, and you say you are) ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
    woodswoman

woodswoman HB User
    Thanks for the replies

I actually slept better last night - straight through for 7+ hours and a 1 1/2 hour nap after kids went to school (I usually do nap, but typically is a much long nap) I'm feeling much better! I don't know if it is the cytomel kicking in or the rest, but I have more energy today. Also, when I am reading the exhaustive info on thyroid issues I seem to be getting it. I couldn't wrap my brain around it before. And - my posts seem to make more sense (to me anyway.)

I have more questions on Hashi's and also the T4 but I have to go to bed now.

Night

Closed Thread