It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• My thyroid bkgrnd/Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
    mylighthouse
    (female)

mylighthouse HB User
    Post My thyroid bkgrnd/Question

This is my first post here. I'd like to say that this site is very helpful and informative.
    A little of my thyroid history....
    I am 32 years old. I was diagnosed w/ a goiter and hypothyroid at the age of 7. The diagnosis was made by a good doctor at a very reputable hospital in Houston. I was immediately put on desacated thyroid and was told that I would need to be kept on thyroid med for the rest of my life.
    Three years later, after moving out of Houston, my parents took me to another doctor in our new city. He tested my thyroid, took me off of Armour and put me on either Levoxyl or Synthroid. A couple years after that, I was taken off thyroid medication.
    To make a long story short, I have been on and off my meds for years. A few months into my medication...I feel GREAT. I lose weight, the HORRIBLE depression goes away......energy comes back...hair stops falling out, ect. So, I go back for a test every few months...stay on medicine...no more problems. Then they take me off my thyroid (that was a year ago...they said my level was normal and that I didn't need it anymore.
    Past two months....I can barely pick myself up off the floor. I went in for testing (again, to another doctor)...and my TSH level is at 9.6 . I have been on my medication for 3 weeks now (Synthroid). I guess I'm typing all of this just to vent more than anything else. I'm frustrated that all of the doctors I've been to don't seem to care about my thyroid history. Nor do they seem to know how to treat it appropriately. I know that I will feel better once my thyroid meds start working. (sorry for the long post)
    I do have a couple of questions though:
    1) Does anyone have chronic diarrhea with their thyroid problem? Everything I eat goes right through me and I'm having constant stomach pain (the doc put me on Prilosec)?? I never get heartburn and I eat right.
    2) Does anyone have a funny feeling in their mouth and a stinging feeling when breathing through their nose? I would describe it as a tingling feeling at the back of my throat and on my tongue. I ususally have lightheadedness with these sensations as well.

Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
    Redford Phyl
    (female)

Redford Phyl HB User
    I know the stomach pain and all. I went through it for 6 months while my gall bladder was going south. I kept it under control for a while by avoiding anything with soy. To complicate matters, I developed costochondritis at the same time. When they finally diagnosed my gall bladder, I felt like I was being cut in two from the right side. Gall bladder problems are apparently very common in people with hypo.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:03 PM   #3
    Redneck_Girl

Redneck_Girl HB User
    i'm hypo as well and don't have constipation as a symptom *leaving it at that* (-:

Old 10-15-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    MLH, What you're describing almost sounds like how I react when I am allergic to something. Maybe they should put you back on the desicated thyroid(Armour). You need to get a copy of your labs, hopefully they did free T3, free T4 and antibodies. Something doesn't sound right that they keep putting you on and off meds. With hashis, you can fluctuate alot. Anyway, I would insist on those tests if they didn't do them and see if they can change you to Armour possibly. You're going to have to stop doing what they say and find out what's going on. Some drs. don't really know how to treat thyroid disease(as you know). Good luck, IWL

Old 10-16-2003, 05:29 AM   #5
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    Your chronic diarrhea may be from your diet. Are you getting at least 25 grams of fiber a day? Are you eating refined and processed foods?Do you have any food allergies? For the last couple of months I started having looser stools than normal, and I accidentially found out that I was taking too much magnesium (my calcium pills have magnesium in them). I cut the dose in half and..presto..I'm back to normal again! Good Luck!

------------------
    Please pardon any typo...obviously it is because I'm hypo!

Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
    phxgem

phxgem HB User
    I am also hypo, and I am the farthest thing you can get from being constipated! I do get the stomach pain, but very rarely, and it does seem to be gall bladder related type pain. I say this because of where it hurts. Are you having any blood when you use the bathroom, or pain when you go to the bathroom? Do you wake up in the middle of the night to have a bowel movement? This could be signs of ulcerative colitis.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
    mylighthouse
    (female)

mylighthouse HB User
    Everyone...thanks for the responses.

In response to Iwannalife: I don't know if they did T3 and T4, but I've got a call in to them.

To phxgem: No, I don't have blood with my diarrhea...just constant stomach pain within 15 minutes of eating and anywhere from 4-10 bowel movements a day.

To Girlygirly: I'm probably getting around 20 grams of fiber a day.
    Breakfast: usually a bagel, sometimes with a banana
    Lunch: a big salad with veggies everyday/with either a piece of grilled chicken or grilled salmon
    Dinner: Either grilled chicken, fish or beef....sometimes stir fried chicken. Veggies usually steamed or stir fried....broccoli/green beans/yellow and zuchinni squash. Occasionally black beans, wild rice or new potatoes.

I've always eaten the right kinds of foods. I love to cook. I never have cravings for sugar or fatty foods. I've really cut down the caffeine. I don't take any vitamins. I'm going to start taking a calcium supplement, as I know I don't get enough of that. I'm going to start eating yogurt, I read that acidopholus is good for the stomach. I'm going to add that these stomach problems have been consistently bad for the last year or so. I've battled bulimia since the age of 15, but I haven't had a bout with that for the last month. My doctor told me to that I have IBS and to take Prilosec. I saw him 3 weeks ago. That is also the time I started taking my thyroid medicine.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    20 Grams of fiber is close but no cigar. You need at least 25 grams, so you do need to increase your fiber intake.Is that bagel whole grain? If not there isn't much fiber or nutrition in it at all.The new potatoes are a starch, try yams or sweet potatoes, more fiber and much more nutritious. Try adding some nuts, cashews have plenty of fiber. When I am low in fiber for the day I eat a 1/4 of nuts. If you go onto the USDA site there is a place where you can enter what you eat for the day, it tells you how much of your vitamin requirements (individually), fiber, calcium, supplements, fat, sodium,ect.are met.Plus how many calories you ate. I use it to see where I fall. It is a grrrrrreat tool.Good Luck!

------------------
    Please pardon any typo...obviously it is because I'm hypo!

Old 10-16-2003, 01:54 PM   #9
    Ibis

Ibis HB User
    How about Oatmeal, and is the rice brown rice??

Old 10-16-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    Still think with the funny tingling in throat and mouth, there may be a reaction to maybe one of the fillers in the meds????

Closed Thread