It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• how does selenium help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
    semo-mom

semo-mom HB User
    Post how does selenium help

How does selenium help with symptoms. I have Hashi's, and had most of my thyroid removed. The remaining bit promptly quit working. I am just looking for help with fatigue and muscle pain. I have split my Armour dose 2 gr am 2 gr pm and am taking 20 mg cortef (recently posted I took 40mg - brain cramp, couldn't add) I have problems with short term memory and "brain fuzz" like I'm detatched. Despite all this I feel sooo much better than when I was on synthroid. I also take Wellbutrin...and would like to get off it - I have seasonal affective disorder, any suggestions. I do appreciate the ones I have received and I have learned much from reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
    lovemythreeguys2002
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
    I don't think Selenium actually helps with symptoms, it helps our body convert the T4 to T3.

Have you had your labs done recently? YOu might need a medication adjustment.

------------------
    Hashimoto's~Hypo
    Multi-nodular
    No meds, waiting for scan

Old 10-11-2003, 04:31 AM   #3
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    Actully selenium does help with the symptoms, think about it, you are having an easier time converting t4 into t3 so now with a better conversion how can that not help symptoms? I noticed after taking selenium that my goiter reduced (within days) and that my brain fog had lifted. I take 200mcgs and I also take vitamin e 400i.u.s as these two work together. I have been taking my armour in the a.m. and then about 4p.m. I take the selenium and vitamin e and it is working out fine for me.

------------------
    Please pardon any typo...obviously it is because I'm hypo!

Old 10-11-2003, 07:25 AM   #4
    AngelaA
    Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
    If you are on Cortef I am assuming you have adrenal problem. From what I have researched it is a great stress on adrenals when you split your thyroid med dose. Why? Because you get two spikes of T3 in the day instead of one.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
    lovemythreeguys2002
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
    GirlyGirly....I am so glad it's helping you, that's awesome!

I wish it would help me, but it hasn't....oh well.

------------------
    Hashimoto's~Hypo
    Multi-nodular
    No meds, waiting for scan

Old 10-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
    dlkk
    Veteran
    (female)

dlkk HB User
    I have been on selenium for about 3 weeks and I have to say that I feel a lot better since taking it. I have more energy and my excess sweating has stopped.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
    I was on selenium for a month and went from hypo to hyper so doc cut down my Synthroid dosage. I still stayed hyper, so I quit taking it for 10 days, then went hypo again. After I started the Synthroid, I went back to hyper. I don't quite know what to do. Seems my thyroid is working fairly well if I take selenium every day, but do I stop the Synthroid or what? I sure can't take both because I hate being hyper...it's a nightmare.

Marilyn

Old 10-15-2003, 06:27 AM   #8
    pippa84

pippa84 HB User
    Question

I am very interested in what was said here about the adrenals and t3. I take Armour twice a day but I take 90mgs in the morning and 45 mgs in the afternoon. How is t3 hard on the adrenals? Is there a website that you could refer me to, to learn more about this? I have been searching for the down side of t3 and have found nothing. This sounds like a down side. Any information or where to get it would be appreciated.

Old 10-15-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    SsMarilyn, Have you tried just taking the selenium? I know it's a big juggling act to try and raise one and lower the other. But still, it would be a wonderful thing if you could just take selenium and not the thyroid meds. Hang in there. IWL

AngelaA, On your comment about the T3 spike being hard on your adrenals. I know if you have adrenal problems, you're supposed to treat them first. But on normal adrenal glands would it matter? Isn't the low dip in T3 if you only take it once a day, hard on you too. I haven't been able to find the article you referred to. I actually split my meds 3 times a day now, since I added Cytomel and am seeing the endo about adrenals in Dec. Am I doing more harm than good? Thanks IWL

Old 10-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #10
    mauigal

mauigal HB User
    how does one know if they have adrenal problems? Could it be why I feel worse since starting meds...I wannna cry I feel so bad. Honestly, I felt better before I started! Does anyone have tightness in the chest when they start...and really thirsty? I never see it mentioned here so Im wondering if I may have underlying things going on..heart disease, diabetes I dont know...all I do know is that I want to feel good again and Im beginning to think it will never be...I just want to cry....thanks

Old 10-15-2003, 12:47 PM   #11
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

Iwannalife, I've thought the same thing, but am afraid to drop the Synthroid altogether because if the selenium isn't enough, I really go downhill fast and it's not a pretty sight. I have an app't with a new endoc the 22nd, and will ask her that same question. I do want to figure this out and get it right, but you're right, it's a matter of juggling things around and I'm the freakin' guinea pig!

Marilyn

Old 10-15-2003, 12:49 PM   #12
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

mauigal, it's correct that if our doctor doesn't test our adrenals first, but just puts us on thyroid hormone, and we have an existing adrenal problem, we get even sicker than before. I have never had a doctor check my adrenals and it's right on the SNYTHROID INSERTS that it MUST BE DONE!!!! ARGH!!!

Marilyn

Old 10-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #13
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    mauigal, Your dose is still pretty low. Is it still 50? It can actually suppress your thyroid. Since they spent 3+ years telling me that my thyroid was normal, I think I worried about every other disease that even remotely resembled my symptoms. My TSH was 3.9 and I was almost disabled, so I think the fact that you still feel horrible is understandable. When are your next labs? I can't remember if they did free T3 and free T4(?), make sure they do. The symptoms like muscle aches and hard to get a good breath are usually hypo symptoms. You might want to wait on taking selenium while you're struggling with you levels, but start taking magnesium. That will help with muscle aches and I feel like it helped with my breathing too(don't know if that's logical or not), but it made it a little easier to relax. Take Care, IWL

Old 10-17-2003, 09:24 PM   #14
    april14

april14 HB User
    Is a Selenium supplement good for Hyperthyroidism? My multivitamin does not have Selenium, so I bought a Ocuvite with 55 mgc Selenium (and also has Copper, Zinc, Lutein, Vitamin A, C, E). Have not taken yet as I was wondering if this would make me more Hyper? First have been trying to eat more foods with Selenium, such as Brazil Nuts and Wheat Germ to get some more Selenium gradually. Does anyone know other foods with Selenium? Thanks.

Old 10-18-2003, 07:41 AM   #15
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    April,
    Sorry, I don't know whether selenium affects hyperT.
    I do know my labs went from hypo to hyper while I was taking both Synthroid and Se, but I'm not convinced that wouldn't have happened on Synthroid alone. Now that I'm taking Armour, I've suspended the Se for the time being, just in case it did have an effect. The Se alone did not help my symptoms during the time I was off Rx med.

Here's a link to Se information. There is a chart of foods and their Se content near the bottom of the page. ~ [url="http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/selen.html#food"]http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/selen.html#food[/url]

Closed Thread