It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashi's, Sore Back, Constant Colds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2003, 12:59 PM   #1
    CheriP

CheriP HB User
    Red face Hashi's, Sore Back, Constant Colds

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I'm starting to manufacture things in my head to worry about...as if life isn't enough already...but I need your opinions. I'm now 10 mos post partum. Was diagnosed first with hyper, now hypo, positive for TPO antibodies. Anyway, I never had a scan or anything because I'm breastfeeding and didn't want to be exposed to radiation. Okay, so here is the question. Does anyone think I could have cancer? Lately, I have experienced recurring pain like sore muscles in my middle back (just above where a bra strap hits). I have noticed this on and off for several months now and mentioned it to several of my docs. (My ENT, my general practitioner, my endo, even my son's ENT) Each of them has simply dismissed it and no one apparently thinks anything of it b/c they never ask me much about it. As I've thought more and more about it, I mentioned to my husband that I thought it was my lungs, and have noticed that I usually have some sort of cold/cough. (My son is in daycare and he gets a cold, then I get it, you know the drill.) Recently, I was put on an ADVAIR diskus inhaler and given a cough medicine with codeine in it. My back soreness went away for several days!

My son's latest cold/cough has caused an ear infection, and they told us this morning he needs tubes. Of course, I caught it too, and this cold has caused me to lose my voice (well mostly lose it). This has never happened to me before. The back pain has also returned.

To those of you who are still with me after reading this loooong post(sorry!), do you think any of this is related to the thyroid? do you think it's cancer or something? or do you think it is bronchial related?

I feel like I need to follow up with a doctor, but I'm not sure which one to call for an appt!

Please help!
    Thanks,
    Cheri

[This message has been edited by CheriPatrice (edited 10-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
    Hi, CheriPatrice. I have been unable to post for more than a week. In that time, I've seen some of your posts that I wanted to respond to but couldn't. I would not doubt for a second that your thyroid problems are related to your symptoms. Many people have who have thyroid problems also have lung problems. And it only makes sense that you are more suseptible to colds now. Your immune system is compromised. I have a lot of problems with my sinuses especially after a lot of exertion.
    On a brighter side, my nephew had those tubes put in his ears when he was about 6 months old. He has not been sick since then. He's 4 now.
    May I ask why were you put on Advair? My son uses that to help control his asthma. I think they usually prescribe that for asthma or chronic bronchitis but I could be wrong.
    Are you still taking the Advair or was that a temporary thing?
    If you have gotten no response from your doctors, maybe you should try going to the ER. That's what it took for me to even be tested for hypothroidism. Just a thought.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Barb

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 10-20-2003).]

Old 10-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
    CheriP

CheriP HB User
    Well, I guess I'm okay with everything being related... ...my biggest fear is something worse, like cancer.

I think they put me on the advair because they thought the cough/congestion had led to bronchitis. I am only half way through it but stopped taking it this weekend when I lost my voice b/c I was afraid I may be having some adverse reaction or something. Otherwise, I think I have about 10 doses left--or 5 days worth. She gave me a sample, not an Rx, so I guess it is a one time thing.

It sucks being a new mom and being sick all the time! I never thought this would happen to me! I want more kids but since I feel like crap all the time, I don't think I could handle it. Not to mention, my thyroid is far from being stablized, with a TSH of 78.81 up from <.01 3 months ago, considering I've only been on synthroid for 2 weeks. I hope I get this all under control soon so I can have my life back!

Old 10-20-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
    lovemythreeguys2002
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
    with a TSH of 78.81 up from >>>>

You poor thing, this is why you don't feel good! It's easy for me to say to not worry about cancer, I worry about everything and then every little pain my children get send me into a cycle of worrying also....I HATE it.

Did the back pain return? Hypo very much causes muscle pain.

------------------
    Hashimoto's~Hypothyroid
    Diagnosed in May
    Just started Armour

[This message has been edited by lovemythreeguys2002 (edited 10-20-2003).]

Old 10-20-2003, 05:07 PM   #5
    CheriP

CheriP HB User
    LM3G's--I can't read some of your post. Can you try to edit and re-post?

I'm trying to explain to my husband that this is all related, and how bad I feel. I'm not sure he really understands. Sometimes, I don't even know just "how bad" my thyroid really is. Since I was just diagnosed in July, this has all happened rather quickly. All I know is that I have never felt this bad, for this long, basically the last 10mos (since my son was born).

So, I'm asking you all...do you think my thyroid levels are the main reason I'm feeling so bad?
    July, Before Meds Hyper-T (Felt like garbage.)
    TSH: <.01, Range: 0.4-5.5
    Free T4: 2.3, Range: 0.8-1.8
    Free T3: 508, Range: 230-420

August, After Meds Hypo-T (Felt better than when Hyper but becoming more exhausted.)
    TSH: 14.82, Range: 0.4-5.5
    Free T4: .8, Range: 0.8-1.8
    Free T3: 270, Range: 230-420

My latest results
    September, Hypo-T (Had been off Meds for about a month)
    TSH: 78.81, Range: 0.4-5.5
    Free T4: .4, Range: 0.8-1.8
    Free T3: 260, Range: 230-420

After these numbers 2.5 weeks ago, they started me on 75mcg of synthroid.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
    lovemythreeguys2002
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
    I'm asking you all...do you think my thyroid levels are the main reason I'm feeling so bad? >>>

YES, I think so....I felt like I was dying with a TSH of only 3.56!!!!!! You might need more than 75 mcgs also.

------------------
    Hashimoto's~Hypothyroid
    Diagnosed in May
    Just started Armour

Old 10-22-2003, 09:33 AM   #7
    sedwa

sedwa HB User
    I'm another post partum mom that's dealing with hypothyroid. I was 15 months post partum, feeling like garbage, barely able to get out of bed in the morning. I also have a 4 1/2 yr old, so I'd just drag until 11 or so and pray that someone would sleep so I could have a nap. either that or I'd have a diet coke to keep me awake and.. yikes, that would go nowhere fun, either. I'd get the shakes, feel anxious and nervous, and be able to feel my heart racing. just from a diet coke.

I finally insisted on bloodwork at my annual, where my midwife gave me the 'being a mom is tiring, everything's probably normal' routine.. which, in turn, made me feel like I was going crazy, or wasn't 'strong' enough to be a mom. Perhaps everyone needs a nap by 11 am after 9 full hours of sleep, right? and I'm 27 years old, but haven't had any sexual desire for my lovely husband in, oh.. 4 3/4 years? normal, because I'm a hardworking mom.

It really makes me crazy, how long I've been dealing with this, feeling like something was wrong with me, but being unable to pinpoint it.

my TSH was 46 last month, and I'm taking 50 mcg of levoxyl. I've been on it for 2 1/2 weeks and I'm really feeling better. (edit: I am starting to feel tired again- when I go back, I'm assuming she'll up my dosage.)

For the previous three winters (since my oldest son has been around) I've had every single cold, flu, virus that's gone through town. pneumonia twice, once walking, once the gnarly kind that had me in bed for 2 weeks. I can attest that thyroid problems can wreak havoc on your respiratory system!

anyway, all this rambling is just to let you know that you're not alone. I'm pretty confident that I've been hypo at least since my first son was born, if not before that. I've definitely got the muscle aches and fatigue you discribe (mine's in my arms and lower back, generally.) and I'm still losing hair- lots of it.

I've been taking echinaccea as soon as I feel a cold coming on- 3 tablets 3 times a day. (as a disclaimer, I have no idea if it's safe to do with my levoxyl, but I really ought to..) and I've staved off the last two colds- really unbelievable for me, who used to catch EVERYTHING and have it twice as long as the kids.

I'm also completely off caffiene, (no chocolate at all, even!) and I really feel a tremendous difference. I've always been super sensitive to caffiene, and being hypo and having a diet coke or even a chocolate chip cookie really sends me right over the edge, mentally. I get super freaky.. nervous, anxious.. all that.

anyway, best of luck- hope it makes you feel better, knowing you're not the only one! keep on posting- there's lots of support here for you.

-sara

[This message has been edited by sedwa (edited 10-22-2003).]

Old 10-22-2003, 12:17 PM   #8
    CheriP

CheriP HB User
    Thanks for all of your comments. I have also started taking the selenium that I've seen posted on here for the several months since my diagnosis. I'm taking 200mcg + the 25mcg that is in my multi-vitamin. I've only been really doing that for about 3 days, but I'm going to try really hard to take it just as meticulously as I take my medicine. Hopefully, my TPO antibodies will diminish as other posters have noted, and I've made a conscious effort to not eat soy products (or products containing soy). I'm not sure if the 75mcg of Synthroid has helped yet, because I've been sick with this horrendous cold since I started it. I'm going to give it several more weeks before my next bloodwork and hope that is enough time for it to start working. I don't want to jump too fast to another dosage.

Also, I've read others post about a good book on Autoimmune Disorders. If any of you out there know what I'm talking about, please let me know.

Thanks so much in advance.
    Cheri

Closed Thread