It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Normal T4, High TSH - anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User
    Post Normal T4, High TSH - anyone else?

Just curious...looking for a bunch of answers. I had normal T4 (6.9) and High TSH (13.206)and doc just put me on Synthroid 112 mcg but havent taken it yet because Im worried about side effects.

Any good before and after Synthroid success/failure stories out there?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
    Are you new to hypothyroidism? It seems like a high dose to start out on. Are you taking any other medication for it now? You should be taking meds so if you're afraid to start out on that, maybe your doc can prescibe a lower dose.
    My hypothyroidism is not in check yet so I can't tell you that I am a success story. But I definitely have more better days than I used to.
    Barb

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 10-21-2003).]

Old 10-21-2003, 04:32 PM   #3
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User
    Hypodude, there are many success stories. Many people with Hypothyroidism take that one little pill in the morning. And other than having to remember to take it, they don' even know they have an issue. I know a few of these people myself. You may well, become one of these people, and I hope you do. I doubt you'll find many of those people here, though, because they are not typically motivated to search for answers, to questions they don't have. And they're probably not here philanthropically, because they don't have the knowledge, because they didn't have to search for answers.

Most of us on this board, for one reason or another, are not so fortunate, or not yet, anyway. Some are here, waiting for the meds to work through the symptoms, and they will be fine. Some just need a little different approach. And some have more complicated issues, or even compound issues, and have to work harder at the treatment.

But one thing is common to all.... You've got to get the meds in you to get better. So commit yourself to taking some dose of them.

Having said that, from what I've picked up on, that seems like quite a large dose to start with, as Bosmom points out. I started at 100mcg, and I did ok, but several people here cautioned against it. That advise came after I had taken that dose for a while, so moot point by then. But being a semi-athlete, and in excellent condition, may have helped me there.

The dose is often calculated by your weight, so that may not be a bad dose to be on, but I would take a knife, and cut it - start with 1/3 of a pill each day, then a week or so later, move up to 2/3 each day, then a week or so later, move up to the whole dose each day. Then you'll have to wait for six more weeks to get tested so that full dose has a chance to effect things.

Maybe that's too passive. Search around this board, and see what you find. Maybe someone else will have other suggestions, or correction to what I'm saying. I'm really just repeating what I've picked up here, but not the most knowledgeable here, by any means.

[This message has been edited by Divermon (edited 10-21-2003).]

Old 10-23-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User
    Thanks a lot. I believe the Synthroid does get adjusted for weight, and Im a pretty hefty load at 300+ pounds - all muscle though : )

I just worry about side effects cause Im prone to panic attacks. I was thinking that my sypmptoms are not "Horrible" or I have just gotten used to them all these years without ever seeing a doc, that I can start real slow, lets say 1/4 the 88 mcg pill the doc gave me as a starter. That would give me a little "boost" to test the waters and about 22mcg to start to work my body into it. Do you guys think that would be rediculous to do?

My doc who prescribed the meds is only a family physician and not an endo. I told him my history of panic attacks and he didnt seem to think it should be a problem. He told me to take the meds before bed to "sleep through" the panic attacks if I have any - yeah right!

Anyway, I didnt have a lot of tests done. Just TSH = 13.08 and Thyroxine (T4) was perfectly normal. No other tests done. Why would T4 be normal and TSH be pretty high?

I do suffer some Hypo symptoms such as dizziness, ear infections, dry scalp, weight gain. I would love to get normal but am so afraid that I'll give myself a heart attack taking meds. I tripped out really bad once just with Neosynephrine nose spray. Im very sensitive to drugs that stimulate the heart and raise blood pressure. One shot of nose spray and I started shaking like a leaf and my BP skyrocketed to stroke levels - weird as hell.

Anyway, can use as much input as possible. I still have not taken my meds although they're sitting on my nightstand. Just diagnosed Hypo 3 or 4 weeks ago although I think I've been walking around like this for several years now.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    Hypodude, You're 20%(one study I read,not all) more likely to die of a heart attack or heart related illness if you don't get your thyroid levels normal. Synthroid and Levoxyl both take 8 days to even start doing much of anything in your body. It's not like take a pill and yikes, that was too much. And your T4 levels are too low, even though it says normal. I am a big fan of Armour, but only because the Levoxyl stopped working on me after 3 years. I can tell you adrenalin trying to regulate your body is alot harder on you than that little pill. I've been hyper and hypo and honestly thought hypo was worse than hyper. I am also very sensitive to most medications. Can't take most cold remedies, diueretics make my heart beat really abnormal,nose spray feels like it's burning a hole in my brain, antibiotics are worse than the illness they're treating. I had my achilles tendons start to hemorhage on one antibiotic(totally rare side effect). The point of this is I could and did take Synthroid and Levoxyl for over 3 years and had no problems with it until I stopped converting T4 to T3. Take your pills. When you get your next blood test have them do free T3 and free T4. Alot of us who started having problems with T4 meds are older women or people without thyroids. There are literally millions who do fine on T4 drugs. Take your medicine!!! IWL

Closed Thread