It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• help, voice affected by goiter? Anyone with this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
    Devrha32

Devrha32 HB User
    Post help, voice affected by goiter? Anyone with this?

Hi All,

Just diagnosed with Thyroid disease - and my Thyroid scan showed a goiter. Though I have a tightness feeling in my throat all of the time (especially when laying down) - my voice has changed. I am a bit hoarse most of the time -

Also, I am a singer, and notice it especially with my upper range - it's not what it used to be. The doctor said the swelling does affect the trachea (sp?)

Anyone with their voice affected by a goiter??? I appreciate your replies. Best, Devrha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 12:11 PM   #2
    lovemythreeguys2002
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
    My gland changes in size, from enlarged to not so enlarged.....my voice is high. I have noticed though, sometimes as I start a sentence, it's raspy and gravely sounding, I have to clear my throat and then it's OK.

------------------
    Hashimoto's~Hypothyroid
    Armour~ 1 grain

Old 10-23-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Yes, it can affect the voice. There is often increased swelling of (and around) the laryngeal nerve. I can't imagine your doctor doesn't know that.
    Are you hypothyroid or hyper? Hoarseness is a common symptom of hypo, in particular.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
    Devrha32

Devrha32 HB User
    Hi,

thanks so much for the quick replies. I think I'm in what you would call denial - I didn't ask my doctor to ellaborate on the effects of a goiter because I was afraid to hear his answer - singing is my life, it has always been my emotional free space... I don't want this to sound corny - it's just such a big part of my being, that I'm frightened that there is something that is changing that ... and I can't control it - at least not right this second.

I have hashimoto's, every symptom of HYPO - severe fatigue, weight gain, depression, etc... except I'm always hot.... never can get cold. And for the past couple months - tightness around my neck - especially when I swallow or sleep on my back. :-(

Old 10-23-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
    mylighthouse
    (female)

mylighthouse HB User
    I also have a goiter. I've was diagnosed w/hypo and goiter 25 years ago. After an ignorant doctor took me off my thyroid med over a year ago, all of my symptoms started coming back. My voice is a deeper than it used to be and I can tell when I look in the mirror that my goiter has grown quite a bit. I also feel the same way when I lay down.....the tightness in the throat and difficult swallowing. Sometimes I think I'm having trouble breathing too.
    Take care

Old 10-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #6
    TRosebud

TRosebud HB User
    I started Hyper w/Graves 13 years ago and then went to Hypo. I have a goiter and I have had the hoarseness all along. Sometimes it goes away and sometimes it hangs on for a few days. I spend alot of time trying to clear my throat. I find that I have the hoarseness more when my medication needs adjusting. I have yet to find a doctor that knows about the hoarseness and I have had a few doctors.

Old 10-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #7
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User
    my throat needs clearing quite often, and sometimes it cracks like I am a young lad with 'changing voice' but being 53 and female well....... I can still hit the high notes after a 'warm up' but no strength to it anymore.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    i'm hypo, don't have a goiter, feel like i've had a bit of swelling around my throat, and i've been gravel-voiced for a year ... sometimes i can clear my throat fairly well, but there's always a bit of hoarseness to it ...

was DX'd hypo in march, and have occasionally had a perfectly clear voice (like for a week), but you know ...

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING (roseanne roseannadanna)

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-03-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
    Devrha32

Devrha32 HB User
    Smile

Thanks everyone for your answers! Saw the Endo, he wants to begin synthroid for my symptoms... it may help (hopefully) reduce this swelling.

Closed Thread