HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   What kind of thyroid problem do you have? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/106138-what-kind-thyroid-problem-do-you-have.html)

windymoon 10-29-2003 07:54 PM

What kind of thyroid problem do you have?

Hope I can post this, I found it on-line tonight;
# List your risk factors, including: family history, previous treated/untreated problems (nodules, hyperthyroidism, goiter, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer), previous thyroid surgery, another autoimmune disease.
# Note symptoms including: weight loss, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, hair loss, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, sweating, diarrhea, weakness, eye/vision changes.
# Note related conditions, including: atrial fibrillation, recurrent pregnancy loss, panic disorder, attention deficit disorder, depression.
# Meet with your doctor for a thyroid examination and blood test.
# Request a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) blood test, along with T4, T3, Free T4 and Free T3 tests.
# Review your test results with the doctor.
# At most labs in the U.S., up until late 2002, the normal range is from around 0.5 to 5.5. That range changed to .3 to 3 as of early 2003. If the TSH level is at the lower end of the range, or below the range, your doctor may determine that you are hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid.)
# If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a high reading and a low TSH, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.
# If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a high reading, and a high TSH, your doctor might look into a possible pituitary problem.
# If your doctor ran a test called Free T4, or Free Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 0.7 to 2.0. If your result was greater than 2.0, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.
# If your doctor ran a test called Total T3, normal range is approximately 80 to 220. If your result was greater than 220, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.
# If your doctor ran a test called Free T3, normal range is approximately 2.3 to 4.2. If your result was greater than 4.2, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.
# If your test results come back "normal" but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, make sure you ask for an antibodies test for Graves' Disease.
# If your test results come back "normal" but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, consider going to a reputable holistic M.D. or alternative physician for further interpretation and diagnosis.

ssMarilyn 10-29-2003 07:58 PM

I had saved this info some time ago, and was reading it earlier tonight. What a coincidence!

Marilyn :)

windymoon 10-30-2003 11:44 AM

Hi Marilyn,
by this list I have a pituitary problem. But I had all that check out a few months ago, even had a MRI looking for a tumor! (High TSH & High T-4), you wait my new Doctor will want to treat me by the TSH, increase my dose>I will just become more and more hyper until I have thyrotoxicosis again and in a wheel chair. I told my husband today the Doctor's are going to kill me with thryoid medication. Do you have any more info to share, I was on-line until 1am last night looking. I'm still clueless, sounds like the Doctors I see are too. ~C