It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Results of Thyroid Ultrasound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2003, 02:51 PM   #1
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User
    Results of Thyroid Ultrasound

I had the ultrasound one on my thyroid today.

The ultrasound tech took a bunch of pictures, then called the radiologist in to look at the screen.

It ends up I have four nodules - all solid, with one being predominant. The radiologist said that since the nodules were causing pain, were causing hoarseness and difficulty in swallowing, that they would probably have to take them off. (that would also include a partial or total thyroidectomy).

He said that he was suggesting to my regular MD that a thyroid scan uptake also be done,before any decisions were made. This was to see how my thyroid was functioning, and if any of the nodules were cancerous (especially the dominant one).

I asked him, IF they were going to be in my neck taking those nodules off anyway, why not just biopsy what they take out, insteal of doing more scans of my neck. He said that my MD would discuss this with me.

I now have a call in to my MD. He is supposed to call me in the morning and tell me what's going on.

I went and got the test results this afternoon. The nodules measure like this:

Right Lobe of gland - nodules solid and regular in contour.
    Largest measures: 4.0x1.5x1.0 cm
    Second measures: 1.5x1.0x1.4 cm

Left Lobe of gland - nodule solid and regular in contour.
    Measures: 1.2x1.3 cm

Isthmus is very prominent.

Findings consistent with multinoldular goiter.

Thing is, I had bloodwork results last Thursday. My Free T3 and T4 were pretty much in the middle of where they should have been. My TSH was 2.54 (or real close to that). I told my MD that I felt better at 1.0 -so he increased my med dosage.
    I was having neck pains a week before I went in last Thursday and they have steadily been getting worse -thus the ultrasound.
    Why would I get a goiter when my numbers were so good??

:::sigh:::
    I know this goiter thing is common -but it reaaaaly has me bummed out.

Any of you all ever had these, had them removed? Are you okay now?

TIA for any input.

HUGS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
    julied

julied HB User
    Ladywolfe-
    Wondering if you have been tested for antibodies or if you have been diagnosed with Hashis. Hashis can do a real trick on your lab values and are not always a good indicator of the way that your thyroid is freally unctioning. I have antibodies/Hashis and my numbers have been within the normal range.... but I still had lots of symptoms and a cyst was found on my thyroid.

Old 11-07-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julied
    Ladywolfe-
    Wondering if you have been tested for antibodies or if you have been diagnosed with Hashis. Hashis can do a real trick on your lab values and are not always a good indicator of the way that your thyroid is freally unctioning. I have antibodies/Hashis and my numbers have been within the normal range.... but I still had lots of symptoms and a cyst was found on my thyroid.

Julied,

I was tested for Hashimoto's - it came back negative. Two weeks ago, when they did my thyroid panel workup - they checked for antibodies. Normal again.

That's why these nodules are confusing me.

My MD called today, to tell me he was setting me up for a nuclear (radioactive dye) scan on my neck. This is a two-day process. You test one day, then come back 24 hours later and test again.
    After that, he said he was sending me to an Ear. Nose and Throat doctor. He said that the other DR "might' put a scope down my larynx (sp?) to see if one of the nodules is pushing on my vocal chords.

Since I've been very hoarse for the past 3 weeks, and am not sick - I'm thinkin that makes sense as to what's going on with the nodule on my vocal chords.

I asked him why those nodules grew so fast (3 weeks), or were they there all the time and all of a sudden took off - and if they did, why now?
    He didn't have answers - that's why he's doing that other scan, and sending me to another Dr. (surgeon).

He said that the largest nodule - 4.0 - would not shrink, and had doubts the others would shrink. So...surgery is probable. At this point, they don't know how if of the thyroid itself they would have to take out, if any.

Soooooo - I'm playing the waiting game -again. My scan is set for next Thursday and Friday. I will be able to get the results myself (from the medical records dept) Friday afternoon.

I'd really just like to know why, if my thyroid is being so controlled with medication, that those nodules popped up the way they did. Maybe I won't get an answer on that one, but I sure hope so.

Have a great weekend and take care. Thank you for answering my post.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
    julied

julied HB User
    Ladywolfe-
    Good luck with your scan. I saw an ENT and had the scope. He did not find anything unusual. I too have had a scratchy voice. He decided to take out my tonsils and that was horrible. Long story. Anyway, hope all goes well with you and you finally get some answers.

Closed Thread