It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Toprol for hyperthyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
    Gertiegirl

Gertiegirl HB User
    Toprol for hyperthyroid

I just recently had tests with TSH at 0 and 2 antibody tests extremely high. Dr. prescribed Toprol and a thyroid scan. I feel the Toprol will only take care of a symptom and doesn't get to the problem. My worst symptom is the fatigue. The racing heart happens only occasionally. Has anyone else taken the Toprol and if so, did you find it helpful? I don't like the sound of the possible side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gertiegirl
    I just recently had tests with TSH at 0 and 2 antibody tests extremely high. Dr. prescribed Toprol and a thyroid scan. I feel the Toprol will only take care of a symptom and doesn't get to the problem. My worst symptom is the fatigue. The racing heart happens only occasionally. Has anyone else taken the Toprol and if so, did you find it helpful? I don't like the sound of the possible side effects.
    Hi,
    I have been taking Toprol XL for tachycardia. I had my thyroid removed in July and have had a very rapid heart rate since I started taking Synthroid. I also have many other hyper symptoms, but my hormone levels are normal. So, all my Dr. is doing is treating my symptoms. My GP thinks all of my symptoms are due to synthroid, but my endo won't lower my synthroid dose since my blood work is normal. So, my GP started me on Toprol to slow down my heart rate.

I really haven't had many side effects with Toprol and the ones I did have went away within a few weeks. The first few weeks I had some tingling or numbness in my hands and I also felt even more fatigued than usual. Now, I don't really notice any side effects and it is finally bringing down my heart rate since my dr. raised my dose to 100mg.

hilery

Old 11-11-2003, 06:38 AM   #3
    Gertiegirl

Gertiegirl HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi,
    I have been taking Toprol XL for tachycardia. I had my thyroid removed in July and have had a very rapid heart rate since I started taking Synthroid. I also have many other hyper symptoms, but my hormone levels are normal. So, all my Dr. is doing is treating my symptoms. My GP thinks all of my symptoms are due to synthroid, but my endo won't lower my synthroid dose since my blood work is normal. So, my GP started me on Toprol to slow down my heart rate.

I really haven't had many side effects with Toprol and the ones I did have went away within a few weeks. The first few weeks I had some tingling or numbness in my hands and I also felt even more fatigued than usual. Now, I don't really notice any side effects and it is finally bringing down my heart rate since my dr. raised my dose to 100mg.

hilery
    Thanks! Your response makes me feel better. I think I'll go ahead and try it.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if you started taking Toprol, yet? If so, is it helping?
    When my dr. raised my dose to 100mg it slowed down my HR for awhile, but now it doesn't seem to be helping anymore.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:28 PM   #5
    Gertiegirl

Gertiegirl HB User
    Re: Toprol for hyperthyroid

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if you started taking Toprol, yet? If so, is it helping?
    When my dr. raised my dose to 100mg it slowed down my HR for awhile, but now it doesn't seem to be helping anymore.
    Do you have any side effects from the toprolol? I didn't start because of possible side effects and I didn't want to be away from home (a little work and a little play in New York!). I had the uptake scan and now diagnosed as Graves Disease. I'm just starting methimazole and plan to start Toprolol tomorrow. My dr. said that I should only need that a month or so after the other meds. I'm pretty sure I'm going to opt for the radioactive iodine after the holidays. I didn't want to out glow Rudolph's nose at Christmas!

Closed Thread