It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low Iodine Diet Problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
    gkz

gkz HB User
    Low Iodine Diet Problems?

Hello,

I'm currently on a low iodine diet in preparation for radioactive iodine treatment. I had my thryoid gland removed about 5 weeks ago due to papillary carcinoma. I also have hypothyroidism (happened before thyroid carcinoma), Addisons, and type I diabetes.

I've been on this diet for about 9 days and also been completely off my thyroid meds for 5 days. This is also part of the RAI treatment preparation in order to increase my TSH level. I've been having problems with my electrolytes. Initially it was slight - a little bit of cramping and fatgue. But over the last few days I've been feeling more fatigued and dehydrated. My blood test yesterday showed significantly low sodium and high potassium levels. This has improved some since I increased my non-iodized salt and water intake. I've also increased my dose of florinef which is a mineralcorticoid that helps balance electrolytes (for Addisons).

Just wondering on what caused the electrolyte imbalance. I'm thinking it's the low iodine diet but could also possible be the related to stopping the thyroid medication. I'm not hypothyroid yet as my TSH yesterday was still in the normal range. The only thing that has thown my electrolytes off in the past was an upset stomache.

Thanks,

GKZ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User
    Re: Low Iodine Diet Problems?

Just wondering on what caused the electrolyte imbalance. I'm thinking it's the low iodine diet but could also possible be the related to stopping the thyroid medication. I'm not hypothyroid yet as my TSH yesterday was still in the normal range. >>>

gkz,

you wrote that you are type I diabetic? are you taking insulin or oral meciation -are you on a special diet for diabetics?

The reason I ask, is that your electrolytes can sometimes be thrown out of whack because of insulin levels.

I would check with your doctor just to be on the safe side.

HUGS

Old 11-21-2003, 02:07 PM   #3
    gkz

gkz HB User
    Re: Low Iodine Diet Problems?

<<The reason I ask, is that your electrolytes can sometimes be thrown out of whack because of insulin levels.>>

HUGS,

Yes I have type I diabetes and take insulin via an insulin pump. I suppose bad hyper or hypoglycemia could throw electrolytes off - this probably isn't it as I haven't had any bad hyper or hypoglycemia episodes over my electrolyte problem period and this has never caused electrolyte problems for me in the past.

Thanks,

GKZ

Closed Thread