It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Meds????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
    Sick_Mom

Sick_Mom HB User
    Question Meds????

What meds do you take and do they really help??

amitriptyline 50mg 1 at bedtime (does nothing for me)
    effexor xr 75mg 3 times a day (helped alot)
    synthroid 0.088mg 1 a day (who knows)
    cyclobenzaprine 10mg 3 times a day when needed (don't think it works)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I am 28 years old, and a Mother of 3 girls

I have been diagnosed with....

Anxiety- attacks
    Arthritis - in my fingers & toes
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Depression
    Dermatographic Urticaria
    Fibromyalgia
    Hashimoto's thyroid
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    lump in left breast
    Restless Leg Syndrome
    thyroid nodules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 06:19 PM   #2
    daldre1269

daldre1269 HB User
    Re: Meds????

HI Sick Mom,

sorry to hear you are not doing well. I have finallly found a good balance between armour and cytomel.

Sometimes people need the t3 in armour and I actuallly need additional t3 in cytomell to be well.

It is seen time and time again that we remain symptomatic on t4 only meds such as synthroid.

Hope you get well soon.
    Dawn

Old 11-25-2003, 05:44 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I take only Armour, currently 45 mg, but it's early in my treatment still. It has helped a lot, but there is room for improvement. I expect it may be increased next checkup. Synthroid made me worse, and like Daldre, I needed T3 to feel better.

You probably know that the muscle cramps you take the cyclobenzaprine for are a primary symptom of hypothyroidism.

It has been proven that many cases of anxiety and depression can be linked solely to thyroid disfunction, and the addition of T3 to the treatment can relieve them. Some people have even been diagnosed with bipolar disorder when the thyroid fluctuations of Hashimoto's disease were the real culprit for the mood swings. Proper treatment for the hypoT eliminated their symptoms. Here's a reference from the New England Journal of Medicine that refers to thyroid and mood, and which proves that Armour or Cytomel may help:
    "In patients with hypothyroidism, partial substitution of triiodothyronine [T3] for thyroxine [T4 aka Synthroid] may improve mood and neuropsychological function; this finding suggests a specific effect of the triiodothyronine normally secreted by the thyroid gland." The entire report is at this webpage: [url]http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/340/6/424[/url]

A common theme among the people who post here is that their doctors don't know much about thyroid disease, and they tend to keep their patients undermedicated and unwell. Maybe it's time for you to get another opinion.

Old 11-25-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
    tonmur

tonmur HB User

Well, I take:

PTU for hyperthyroid
    Neurontin for mood stabalizer
    Wellbutrin for depression
    Lexapro for depression
    Chlor(something) for anxiety

Now they have added:
    Topomax for mood stabalizer
    Ambien for not sleeping
    Klop(something) for anxiety

Does any of it work? NO

Do the doctors care? NO - they just like taking your money and saying you are crazy instead of getting to the root of the problem and finding out why I am hyperthyroid and if I have Graves or not.

All I can say is, "Quack, Quack, Quack"

Tonja

Old 11-25-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
    daldre1269

daldre1269 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonmur
    Well, I take:

PTU for hyperthyroid
    Neurontin for mood stabalizer
    Wellbutrin for depression
    Lexapro for depression
    Chlor(something) for anxiety

Now they have added:
    Topomax for mood stabalizer
    Ambien for not sleeping
    Klop(something) for anxiety

Does any of it work? NO

Do the doctors care? NO - they just like taking your money and saying you are crazy instead of getting to the root of the problem and finding out why I am hyperthyroid and if I have Graves or not.

All I can say is, "Quack, Quack, Quack"

Tonja
    Eeekkk...Tonmur,

Boy oh boy you are on alot of meds. The Klo is probably klonopin. Be careful with that one.. addictive and can exacerbate mood disturbances... as for Topamax...UGGGGhhh..

I have personal experience with that ugly stuff. After I had my second daughter I was misdiagnosed with post partum depression when what I really had was a thyroid disorder. I was put on Wellbutrin, Topamax and klonopin. Topamax is ugly ugly stuff... the side effects for me were horrendous... it actually caused me to be way more depressed.... WAY tired... WAY WAY tired. Also since topamax is a new drug there is very little empirical research as to the long term effects of this drug.

Heed Caution with topamax... if not treating a mood disorder such as bi polar I would steer clear of this one. It also causes hormonal imbalances making birth control pills useless. That's scary... makes ya wonder what the long term effects really will be.

So ... Do you believe you are hypo and no one will treat you?

Dawn

Old 11-25-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
    daldre1269

daldre1269 HB User

Oh and Tonmur......

The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are routinely mistaken for bi polar disorder... that is probably why you were put on the topamax.

Did you have labs done? If so please post them so we can see what's up.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:19 AM   #7
    tonmur

tonmur HB User

Nope - I am hyperthyroid. And just being treated as if I am a crazy loon.

I took the topomax last night and an ambien (those are the two new ones that the psych put me on) and I had total melt down today.

I did finally take a Clonazepam 1mg tonight and did some brown bag breathing and started feeling better. I have felt all along that I am over medicated. But, when you start taking yourself off some of these things - no matter how slow you go - it seems like your body is going to give out and not be able to take any more.

So, is Clonazepam the same as Klonopan?

And, you say Topomax is not so good - because Neurtontin is super bad.

Let me know.

Tonja

Old 11-27-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
    tonmur

tonmur HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daldre1269
    Oh and Tonmur......

The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are routinely mistaken for bi polar disorder... that is probably why you were put on the topamax.

Did you have labs done? If so please post them so we can see what's up.

huh - huh

My doc - which I fired today - won't give me my lab work, so I can't post anything.

I just know I am so sick of my chest hurting and being dizzy and having the heart palpitations alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. Any suggestions on what can help these?

Tonja

Old 11-27-2003, 02:29 AM   #9
    daldre1269

daldre1269 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonmur
    huh - huh

My doc - which I fired today - won't give me my lab work, so I can't post anything.

I just know I am so sick of my chest hurting and being dizzy and having the heart palpitations alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. Any suggestions on what can help these?

Tonja

You poor thing... gees what a horrible situation to be in. Clonazepam is the generic equivalent of klonopin.

You need to go to another doctor. There is alot of money to be made for a quack to keep you sick by keeping you on medication that will never relieve your symptoms.

You need to go atleast to your GP... I loath endocrinologists totally so I personally don't suggest one of those... BUT... in my case I was hypo.... in your case... Hyper thyroid is ALWAYS clear on a lab test... but hypo is not.

This is the only situation where labs are completely useful for determination.

You must have the following labs done ASAP:

TSH, total t4, total t3, free t3, free t4.. antithryroid peroxidase AB (antibodies test) and antinuclear antibodies test.

The antinuclear antibodies test reveals a general autoimmune response.. might not be necessarily thyroid.

You are not a psych case. As hard as it is though... you MUST do the foot work to regain your health... these doctors have hidden agenda's going on ... realize this... guard yourself with as much info as possible so that you can guide your own treatment.

In the meantime, if were able to get this quack to prescribe you proponalol you may be able to temporarily ease the heart symptoms. Propanalol stops the stimulation to your gland temporarily... something like that... but it works to hault hyper symptoms in an individual who is hypo and OD's on their meds.

Dawn

Old 11-27-2003, 08:35 AM   #10
    tonmur

tonmur HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daldre1269
    You poor thing... gees what a horrible situation to be in. Clonazepam is the generic equivalent of klonopin.

You need to go to another doctor. There is alot of money to be made for a quack to keep you sick by keeping you on medication that will never relieve your symptoms.

You need to go atleast to your GP... I loath endocrinologists totally so I personally don't suggest one of those... BUT... in my case I was hypo.... in your case... Hyper thyroid is ALWAYS clear on a lab test... but hypo is not.

This is the only situation where labs are completely useful for determination.

You must have the following labs done ASAP:

TSH, total t4, total t3, free t3, free t4.. antithryroid peroxidase AB (antibodies test) and antinuclear antibodies test.

The antinuclear antibodies test reveals a general autoimmune response.. might not be necessarily thyroid.

You are not a psych case. As hard as it is though... you MUST do the foot work to regain your health... these doctors have hidden agenda's going on ... realize this... guard yourself with as much info as possible so that you can guide your own treatment.

In the meantime, if were able to get this quack to prescribe you proponalol you may be able to temporarily ease the heart symptoms. Propanalol stops the stimulation to your gland temporarily... something like that... but it works to hault hyper symptoms in an individual who is hypo and OD's on their meds.

Dawn

Well, before I fired her yesterday - she first had told me that she wouldn't treat me further until I wen to a Psych - then she said either go to the ER or go to a Cardiologist. She leaves me no choices here, except filing medical misconduct with the Board in Oklahoma. (Which I will do - I am so sick of docs thinking they are "gods") After I am finished with her, she better pray that she has a God to help her. No, that was nasty - I just pray to God that he will help me.

Tonja

Old 11-28-2003, 06:09 AM   #11
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

wow -- she wouldn't give them to you? that's like fraud or something ... and a psych? give me a break ...

i hope there are other doctors who are more sympathetic ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-29-2003, 01:21 AM   #12
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elizabeth2nd
    Maybe bi-polar is hyperthyroidism, and maybe hyperthyroidism is bipolar, just muddled along with other concomitants?

Liz

good point ...

jb

Old 11-30-2003, 04:32 AM   #13
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yet again, i find myself agreeing with midwest1 (we must be soulmates) ... what are your symptoms now? you could probably do with a little cytomel, just because it helps your thyroid get back to "normal" (whatever that is -- i've forgotten) ...

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-30-2003 at 04:33 AM.

Closed Thread