It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I feel like a Yo Yo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User
    I feel like a Yo Yo

Has anybody else gone through this? They keep changing my dose. I go up to .112mcg Synthroid and about the 6th day I have terrible anxiety and extreme cold hands and my BP jumps up.Cry Cry Cry and my body shakes like a leaf. Then its back down to 100mcg synthroid. When I call they tell me its not Thyroid related. I just don't get it anymore.But they back me off. Now I'm back down to the 100mcg of Synthroid and it has been 8 days and I feel tired and cold and I'm puffy and I wanna cry. My legs feel weak and stiff. It feels like I'm walking on air. I'm nauseated and digestion is slow.
    I'm suppose to check in with them on Friday but I'm so sick of the up and down every 2 weeks. How much more can I handle? Then what back up to the .112mcg to only feel terrible again. I have tried Armour and I did try Cytomel but my body said no.
    I'm sorry for being so somber. I needed to release my frustration. Thanks for being here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
    tonmur

tonmur HB User
    Re: I feel like a Yo Yo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ellyn
    Has anybody else gone through this? They keep changing my dose. I go up to .112mcg Synthroid and about the 6th day I have terrible anxiety and extreme cold hands and my BP jumps up.Cry Cry Cry and my body shakes like a leaf. Then its back down to 100mcg synthroid. When I call they tell me its not Thyroid related. I just don't get it anymore.But they back me off. Now I'm back down to the 100mcg of Synthroid and it has been 8 days and I feel tired and cold and I'm puffy and I wanna cry. My legs feel weak and stiff. It feels like I'm walking on air. I'm nauseated and digestion is slow.
    I'm suppose to check in with them on Friday but I'm so sick of the up and down every 2 weeks. How much more can I handle? Then what back up to the .112mcg to only feel terrible again. I have tried Armour and I did try Cytomel but my body said no.
    I'm sorry for being so somber. I needed to release my frustration. Thanks for being here.

Yes, I stay feeling that way, and you would think with being hyperthyroid that I would be up and at em. But, my poor body. I just keep wondering how much more it can handle. I pray for you and for healing.

Tonja

P.S. That is what this board is for - releasing your frustration. I have only been on this board for probably two weeks or less and it is what has made me realize that I am not insane. Don't give up!!!!! We all do understand you - even if you feel like the world is against you - WE DO UNDERSTAND.

Last edited by tonmur; 11-26-2003 at 03:10 PM.

Old 11-26-2003, 05:47 PM   #3
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User

Thanks Tonja
    I needed the reminder. Your right about these boards. I read some of the posts and I lok to make sure it was not me that wrote it. Once I found these boards I knew I was not imaging my weird symptoms.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:40 PM   #4
    audreyjudith
    (male)

audreyjudith HB User

Hi Ellyn,

By chance are you taking any calcium too close to taking the meds? Or taking Soy inclusive products?

Just wondering if you are taking calcium within 1-2hrs of taking your meds?

Many people think of milk or cheese when they think of calcium. Broccoli, and its cousins, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, mustard and turnip greens, collards, kohlrabi, rutabaga and turnips all contains nutrients, compounds and phytochemicals as well as providing calcium (6% of the daily recommended value), iron (6% of the RDV) and 20% of the recommended amount of fiber.

Food Serving size Calcium per serving (mg)*

Dairy products

Milk 1 cup 290-300
    Swiss cheese 1 oz (slice) 250-270
    Yogurt 1 cup 240-400
    American cheese 1 oz (slice) 165-200
    Ice cream or frozen dessert 1/2 cup 90-100
    Cottage cheese 1/2 cup 80-100
    Parmesan cheese 1 Tbs 70
    Powdered nonfat milk 1tsp 50
    Other
    Sardines in oil (with bones) 3 oz 370
    Canned salmon (with bones) 3 oz 170-210
    Broccoli 1 cup 160-180
    Soybean curd (tofu) 4 oz 145-155
    Turnip greens 1/2 cup, cooked 100-125
    Kale 1/2 cup, cooked 90-100
    Corn bread 2 1/2-in. square 80-90
    Egg 1 medium 55

Calcium-fortified food (bread, cereals, fruit juices) 1 serving Varies

regards,
    Michael

Old 11-27-2003, 10:16 AM   #5
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User

To answer your question no I do not take any calcium. No milk products with the exception of a slice of cheese which is something i may eat on a lunch time sandwhich. No wheat products either. I have given up pop and coffee. sugar comsumption is way down. actually it has just been in the last few weeks that I have had any sugar.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:49 AM   #6
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Quote:
    When I call they tell me its not Thyroid related.
    what's not thyroid related? because i can assure you that depression is (both my GP and my neuropharmacologist, and my endo, agree) .... also, i fwelt awful when i was first bumped up (nausea, sweating, the whole echilada), so try alternating 100/112mcg every day ...

i had a lot of trouble getting up to 125 -- took about a month -- but i'm finally there and while still tired, am not so depressed .. sometimes you just have to take things into your own hands (my GP is great for that -- i told him about my problems getting up to 125, suggested alternating, and he said "sure ...")

hang in there, we're pulling for you ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User

jinglebts
    Thanks for the support. They did mention maybe trying the alternating 100/112. I really would like them to test my blood first but they want me on a stable dose for at least 4 weeks.
    I had all the symptoms when I tried the 112. I felt terrible. The anxiety got the best of me. But most of all my body just started shaking. So I'm dumb founded with the whole thing. Dose changing used to never affect me prior to this flare up which is now been over a year.

How are you doing?

Old 11-27-2003, 10:05 PM   #8
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

i must say that when i first tried to go up to 125, the nausea, shaking, sweats, anxiety were too much for me too ...

the thing is, i wasn't sure that it was the synthroid that was nauseating me, so i cut out ALL my meds (ADs, antiseizure meds, blood thinner) for two days, then i took the antiseizure meds, then ADs, then 75mcg synthroid, and i was fine ... so i only resumed my 112 for a couple of weeks ...

then i alternated 112/125; this worked for about 10 days, and now i'm on 125 ... still lack energy and sleep like a stone ...

as for the reason? our bodies change as we age, maybe something traumatic happened in your life before you began feeling lousy ... my mum died in aug. 2001, and in about july 2002, i now realise, i began feeling symptoms, but was not DX'd till march 3003; also, when the seasons change i get tired anyway, for about a week ... as for you? only you can answer that question ...

is the "stable dose" they want you to be on 100mcg? what were you on in the first place, anyway??

this is a lousy disease... it's ruined my life (well, i did find out yesterday that i'd been accepted into a writing course) -- it's certainly changed my life anyway...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:12 PM   #9
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User

JB,

Honey....don't let anything "ruin" your life....let it just 'alter your life".

A fantastic quote, and I have no idea where I picked it up, but probably from these boards::::::

"You are where you are supposed to be...right now":::

which means - you can and will get through this.

HUGS honey!!!!

Old 11-28-2003, 01:39 AM   #10
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User

great quote Ladywolfe

My poor body has not seen a stable dose since the begining of october. That is when I had my last blood test. At that point I had been on 100mcg for 4 weeks and they only measured my TSH. That came back at 8.56 range .034-5.0 So that is when they said to go up to .112mcg. I was using the 50mcg to stay away from the dye. So the long story goes no blood has been drawn since then do to having trouble getting up to .112mcg. So I have no idea what my body wants anymore. I have total crossover symptoms. Back i nApril I could have swore I needed more but my blood results saind I needed a decrease. That was TSH FT4 and FT3. Over the past 15 years I averaged around .175 for most of them and the last 3 years my body was happy with .150 up until April of this year. Actually since last year October my levels have been all over the place.

As for stress. I know right now I cannot handle it well. Heck yesterday I excused myself from the table right after dessert. My tummy felt like it was doing flips and my heart was racing. Took my pulse and it was up around 115. Do not know what caused that. I know after I took my meds in the morning I could tell it was going to be one of those days. I wonder if there are days that the meds get to be too much? Or is this a Hypo symptom along with the feeling of having shortness of breath on occasion and feeling like you have to cough?

Jb
    Good to hear you were excepted into your writing course. Good things can lift the Spirit. I do believe that we should treat the body as a whole and when good things come then everything should fall into place.

Last edited by Ellyn; 11-28-2003 at 01:42 AM.

Old 11-28-2003, 05:01 AM   #11
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thanks, LW, i guess i knew that, but during the last year i thought i'd get over it, now i'm thinking i was really well off in june -- "as good as it gets", as they say -- and i'm just trying to get back to where i was 5 months ago ...

and i'm really glad i got accepted, but i wouldn't have applied if it hadn't been for sheer nerve -- i thought my manuscript was crap (we had to submit a "writing in progress") because it all happened so quickly, both i and my DH realised i was aiming hi -- but wow -- when that letter came on wednesday saying "congratulations -- you've been accepted ...", i nearly died ... and LW, you're right, it's "a good thing", and i've lain awake all nite thinking about it -- wow!

ellyn, i didn't realise things were so bad with you -- many symptoms of hypO and hypER are the same ... if you google "thyroid symptoms" i'm sure you'll get at least one site that shows you that -- but what to do? sounds like you're not reacting at all well on your current dose -- could you call your doctor? too bad these pills don't come even more finely tuned (instead of the next dose to 112 being 125, it could be 119 or something, even 115) ...

phooey -- but thanks for the encouragement, both of you!

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 11-28-2003 at 05:03 AM.

Old 11-28-2003, 06:29 AM   #12
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User

Jb
    I will be placing a call to the Doc today. I need for them to run some blood to see where i'm at. Stable dose or not we need a reference point now to try and get me on track again.

I have been really trying to stay positive so thats why I never sounded like it was too bad. Actually these last 4 weeks have been the pits. But I'm keeping my chin up and trying to smile. Laughter is also good for you. Thanks for being there.
    Ellyn

Old 11-28-2003, 06:44 AM   #13
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ellyn
    Jb

I have been really trying to stay positive so thats why I never sounded like it was too bad. Actually these last 4 weeks have been the pits. But I'm keeping my chin up and trying to smile. Laughter is also good for you. Thanks for being there. Ellyn

Ellyn,

I honestly hope that you get some relief soon. I"m sorry the past month has been so bad for you Hopefully the Doc will be able to get you in soon and get some bloodwork done, adjust your meds, and get you feeling good again (or at least as close to good as we can get).

You want laughter this morning? You should have been here earlier to watch me try to get my big behind into pants that refuse to close, because I ate so much yesterday, lol.
    Even laying on the bed and doing the old 'suck the gut in' routine didn't help. My younger son came into my room and asked me if I was having some kind of attack :::snicker:::

Oh well, looks lke a sweat suit wearing day for me.

HUGS to you

Old 11-28-2003, 07:08 AM   #14
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User

Ellyn-
    I'm sorry you are still having a rough time. I know what you mean about feeling like a yo-yo. I hope you can get your meds adjusted correctly. I know it is a real pain to go through....as most all of us have been through and still are going through.
    Keep your spirits up and think good thoughts.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:03 AM   #15
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User

Thanks Bellajoon
    For the kind words. I was hoping by the Holidays I would have been on the road in the right direction. I'm hanging in there

Closed Thread