It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Armour vs Synthroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2003, 02:51 PM   #1
    yecats7

yecats7 HB User
    Armour vs Synthroid

I am currently on a dose of .125 and .150 of Synthroid, alternating the amount each day. I also take Selenium later in the day. I was on .112 last month had it increased mid Nov, but since then my energy and fatigue seem worse...has this happened to anyone else?

Also, Could somebody tell me the difference between Armour and Synthroid, and if Armour is available in Canada?

Cytomel...has anybody used this to help w/ the month prior to the RAI follow-up scan for Cancer? Does it help or is it a hinderance for the uptake? I don't go until May for my scan, I asked my endo for Cytomel (as I resemble Satan during that hypo time) and he said "if you want" and wrote me a prescription. Now I am hesitant.

Thanks for the info all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: Armour vs Synthroid

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yecats7
    I am currently on a dose of .125 and .150 of Synthroid, alternating the amount each day. I also take Selenium later in the day. I was on .112 last month had it increased mid Nov, but since then my energy and fatigue seem worse...has this happened to anyone else?

Also, Could somebody tell me the difference between Armour and Synthroid, and if Armour is available in Canada?

Cytomel...has anybody used this to help w/ the month prior to the RAI follow-up scan for Cancer? Does it help or is it a hinderance for the uptake? I don't go until May for my scan, I asked my endo for Cytomel (as I resemble Satan during that hypo time) and he said "if you want" and wrote me a prescription. Now I am hesitant.

Thanks for the info all!
    It could be that you have too much T4, but without lab results, I couldn't tell. Being hyper (too much thyroid hormone) can cause fatigue, just like having too little.

Synthroid is a synthetic thyroid med containing only T4 thyroid hormone. Armour is a natural product derived from the thyroid glands of igs and contains T3 and T4 thyroid hormones. Armour is not available in Canada, but Parke Davis Thyroid also simply known as "Thyroid" is the same thing made by another manufacturer and is available in Canada.

Couldn't tell you about the Cytomel other than that it is commonly used just as you described. IT is fast acting and fast to leave your system, thus the reason it is used prior to RAI, so you can stay closer to normal much closer to the time to have your RAI done.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
    pippa84

pippa84 HB User

I am a very happy Armour user. Armour is natural and cheap. I
    was on Synthroid or Levoxly for
    15 years and within 24 hours of taking Armour the difference was remarkable.
    I have lost 15 lbs to date, after not being able to lose and ounce in 15 years.

I will go a step further, I think the whole medical proffession is nuts when it
    to." we only need t4". Our body's produce t1, t2, t3 and t4, Armour has all of
    them. T3 is the only one that your body uses at a cellular level. T4 is
    converted to t3 for you body to use it. They told us we didn't need our
    tonsils, until they found out what they were for, too. I feel sure that one
    day they will find out that t3 is very different than converted t4, and they will
    decide we need it. Personally, I will never take any of that synthetic crap
    again. I think that the drug manufacturers are the ones who have convinced
    the medical proffession of the superiority of Synthroid. I perfer to be treated
    by a doctor not a drug sales rep.
    Sorry, I guess you can tell I am angry about this. I am trying to be helpful.
    I am hypo. I feel like they have taken years from my life. I am still not on the
    proper dose, but I will be soon.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
    Ibis

Ibis HB User

I agree completely. Both of my Drs suggested Synthroid to me and I turned them both down. I told them that Synthroid is not better, and my systems needs Armour to function. I told them unless they actually had the problem, they could not appreciate the difference Armour makes. They both gave me the Armour.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #5
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

I agree with the notion that these docs are all nuts! My doc refused to prescribe me Armour. He told me all he would do is lower my dose of Synthroid to .025 mcg instad of trying Armour after I told him I tried starting Synthroid twice and had a really crappy reaction to it. I felt absolutely horrible and now am sitting around with a 13.08 TSH with no meds cause I can't get him to prescribe it. I feel crappy from the Hypo but felt much crappier the 2 times I tried starting my Synthroid meds. What particularly pisses me off is the fact that my T4 score was totally normal with an elevated TSH.

I guess the new "cure" for a normal T4 score is to introduce more T4 to the body to throw everything out of wack, which is apparantly what happened. I almost immediately felt hyper the next day. Shaking like crazy, heart palps, sweating, pressure feeling in chest. It was totally crappy. I felt much better just being hypo.

Im still sure that Armour is my answer. I just need to find someone to prescribe it for me.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
    Ibis

Ibis HB User

Armour Thyroid has a web site tht does list Dr who use Armour. Why don' you take a look for someone in your area?

Good luck!
    I

Closed Thread