It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• It's A Miracle - "I'm Cured Too!"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 AM   #1
    Kackie

Kackie HB User
    It's A Miracle - "I'm Cured Too!"

I was actually stunned to read Packer's post a few posts down because I'd just hung up with the endo's office and was told "everything's normal." Because of this board, I had the sense to ask what the range was. However, when the nurse read the numbers I didn't actually get the range.

She told me my TSH was 2.410 and T4 was 1.13. I said, "Well, I'm cured," and hung up. Since I don't have the range for T4, I don't have a clue what that means.

I'm so discouraged, I called my husband who is out of town and said, "I'm cured" and I'm done with it and we never discuss my health again. I'm just a fat, middle-aged woman and this is all in my head (the endo and rheumatologist have both strongly suggested that). I'll drink 10 liters of water and walk 10 miles a day.

Oh - I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia too. I was carrying my copy of "The Thyroid Solution" with me to the rheumatologist and tried to discuss the connection between underactive thyroid and fibro. The doctor totally ignored me and loaded me up with pain pills.

I'm sorry to be so sarcastic and negative. I'm just really not able to deal with it any longer. Six months ago I was diagnosed (with the all-mighty TSH test) with hypothyroidism - have not felt any better on Synthroid, and actually feel worse - and have come out of it with a new illness/condition (fibro) and "perfectly normal" thyroid.

I've always appreciated the kindness and advice offered by everyone on the board and have learned a great deal. It was a relief knowing the myriad of strange symptoms are shared by others. I hope someday to feel truly "normal" again.

Kackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
    Re: It's A Miracle - "I'm Cured Too!"

Kacki, I'm so sorry you're going through all this. I know where you're coming from. Been there myself. It can really get you down. It's OK to have the feelings you're having right now. But please, try not to let yourself stay there too long. It will only make things worse. I know you want to give up now. I did too. But you can't let these doctors upset you too much. Is there any way you can get another doctor? Or at least a second opinion? It sounds like you really need another doctor-one who LISTENS to you.
    Barb

Old 12-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
    katieoh54

katieoh54 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kackie
    I was actually stunned to read Packer's post a few posts down because I'd just hung up with the endo's office and was told "everything's normal." Because of this board, I had the sense to ask what the range was. However, when the nurse read the numbers I didn't actually get the range.

She told me my TSH was 2.410 and T4 was 1.13. I said, "Well, I'm cured," and hung up. Since I don't have the range for T4, I don't have a clue what that means.

I'm so discouraged, I called my husband who is out of town and said, "I'm cured" and I'm done with it and we never discuss my health again. I'm just a fat, middle-aged woman and this is all in my head (the endo and rheumatologist have both strongly suggested that). I'll drink 10 liters of water and walk 10 miles a day.

Oh - I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia too. I was carrying my copy of "The Thyroid Solution" with me to the rheumatologist and tried to discuss the connection between underactive thyroid and fibro. The doctor totally ignored me and loaded me up with pain pills.

I'm sorry to be so sarcastic and negative. I'm just really not able to deal with it any longer. Six months ago I was diagnosed (with the all-mighty TSH test) with hypothyroidism - have not felt any better on Synthroid, and actually feel worse - and have come out of it with a new illness/condition (fibro) and "perfectly normal" thyroid.

I've always appreciated the kindness and advice offered by everyone on the board and have learned a great deal. It was a relief knowing the myriad of strange symptoms are shared by others. I hope someday to feel truly "normal" again.

Kackie
    Sounds like you are suffering from a serious dis-order..."Stupid Doctor Syndrome" and need a "doctoretctomy" ASAP!

Don't give up...it's a battle for sure, but hope you are able to find a doctor with a real brain. You deserve to feel well and I'm so sorry you are going thru all of this I know how frustrating it is. This week I'll be trying the third doctor...second one in the last two months. I refuse to let their stupidity defeat me...so I continue my search and hope you will too.
    Good luck to you and best wishes.

Old 12-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

Oh, I feel for you so much. I have just gotten finished posting something similar to this myself. I sound so self pitying, but I can't help it. My Doctor told me I was "textbook perfect" and I am still gaining weight after exercising my butt off and watching what I eat. That's not all, there's more, but right now the most important thing to me is to lose weight and feel healthy again. I know what you mean about the walking 10 miles a day ect. He made me feel like it was my fault and I was gobbling down a million calories a day. I feel like pulling my hair out and am really getting depressed. Boy, I'm not helping you at all am I? I guess I just want you to know that you're not alone and anytime you want to vent.......we're here for you.

Old 12-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #5
    Kackie

Kackie HB User

Oh thank you all for responding. Seconds after I posted, I was embarrassed to have done so. Such a pity party.

Miper, I completely relate. I have a beautiful, professional wardrobe yet am reduced to 3 outfits. I'm in a pair of jeans THREE SIZES larger than I wore LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. Very well meaning friends keep suggesting I get more exercise. You have a great deal more initiative than I, I'm afraid. I'm in so much pain and so tired I've not been able to even get on the treadmill - let alone play racquetball 3 times a week like I used to.

This has been an interesting day to read posts: fluttering ear - have it; breathlessness - oh, yeah (and today I went for the echocardiogram the "endo from hell" scheduled and they were so backed up it's been rescheduled; the irony is the endo department is on the same floor but I am too beaten down to request a copy of my "perfect" blood test); Packer's post about her "normal" results; and your post, Miper, about your frustrations. And Michele, don't pull out your hair!!! If you're anything like me, you need all you've got .

I've read about Ladywolfe's surgery and realize how "fortunate" I am not to have to face surgery. So what if doctors I go to for help don't understand what if feels like. I'm going to spend the rest of this rainy day and the rest of the week while my husband is out of town feeling sorry for myself and then I'm going to try once more to take control of my health. It just seems like the coping skills are the first to go when you feel so bad.

Kackie

Old 12-03-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
    peaches123

peaches123 HB User

Kackie

Kackie.. the day you do feel "normal" will ya call me and give me your secret?? it has been so long for me I have completely forgotten... It is good to get on here and see others who just like me don't sit and stuff chocolatre chip cookies and watch soap operas all day but still have the devil of the time looseing weight or haveing a Dr that smiles and says move more eat less..You feel like telling them they could hear you better if they would get their head out of their...ummm well anyway you know where i was thinking...

Do any of you get chest pains when your meds get out of whack??? i had a heart attack that did no damage a few years ago and they decided that even thou I now have an abnormal ekg.it was the meds that triggered it... well it looks like it is happening again... have had chest pains for 2 days... I may go to the Dr if it lasts much longer... I have read more women have undignosed heart attacks...

Linda

Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User

Do any of you get chest pains when your meds get out of whack??? i had a heart attack that did no damage a few years ago and they decided that even thou I now have an abnormal ekg.it was the meds that triggered it... well it looks like it is happening again... have had chest pains for 2 days... I may go to the Dr if it lasts much longer... I have read more women have undignosed heart attacks...

Linda[/QUOTE]

Okay...first -DON"T wait till you have more pains to go get that checked out - especially since you've already had a heart attack. That is nothing to play around with hon. PLeeeasseeeee call someone tomorrow and let them take care of you.

Second....I know that I have had chest pains over the years -but nothing that was on a really regular basis. I don't have acid-reflux or anything like that, and can't remember ever having heartburn (thank goodness). The pains seemed to come when I was really worn down, and my meds WERE out of whack (like you).

PLease post again and let us know what the DR says about the chest pains. Much much better to be safe here.

HUGS and good thoughts to you!

Old 12-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #8
    Audi

Audi HB User

Sorry to hear you are having all these problems. I am on my 4th Dr. in the last 6mts. this one seems to listen better and if this does not work out they are all over the place just don't seem to be all that good..LOL I do think if your Dr. will not treat you then ask for a second opinion or a third. good luck.

Closed Thread