It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Funny feeling in chest

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #1
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User
    Funny feeling in chest

I bumped up an old thread talking about shortness of breath, but it is pretty long, so let me just ask my question here.

Started 60 mgs Armour in October, 4 weeks later Doctor upped me to 90 mgs. I feel better, my TSH is low, FreeT4 (the only one checked) was low. The thing is, I am starting to be a little more tired and feel that I could use an uppage, but I am having this weird feeling in my chest and I'm scared. I have no hyper symptoms, Bp is good, heartrate around 85-90, but I have this feeling in my chest like I can't get enough oxygen. It's a feeling almost like when you're really, really full and can't breathe. I thought I was maybe going hyper, but after reading some old threads now I think maybe it's a sign of hypo.

I'm wanting to make a med adjustment to see if I can feel better, but really don't know which way to go. I could add cytomel or T4 only, or up my dosage of Armour. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 09:07 PM   #2
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
    Re: Funny feeling in chest

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miper
    I bumped up an old thread talking about shortness of breath, but it is pretty long, so let me just ask my question here.

Started 60 mgs Armour in October, 4 weeks later Doctor upped me to 90 mgs. I feel better, my TSH is low, FreeT4 (the only one checked) was low. The thing is, I am starting to be a little more tired and feel that I could use an uppage, but I am having this weird feeling in my chest and I'm scared. I have no hyper symptoms, Bp is good, heartrate around 85-90, but I have this feeling in my chest like I can't get enough oxygen. It's a feeling almost like when you're really, really full and can't breathe. I thought I was maybe going hyper, but after reading some old threads now I think maybe it's a sign of hypo.

I'm wanting to make a med adjustment to see if I can feel better, but really don't know which way to go. I could add cytomel or T4 only, or up my dosage of Armour. What do you think?
    Hi~
    I had the exact same feeling for several weeks. Especially when I did any sort of activity. For me, it ended up being a hyper symptom, but I know it can be a sign of hypo as well. My Dr. lowered my Synthroid from 150mcg to 100mcg and this feeling has finally gone away. It took about 3 weeks after he lowered my dose. I knew this was a hyper symptom for me because I also had a very rapid heart rate.

Good luck

Old 12-17-2003, 05:15 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If it's your resting heart rate which approaches 90, I wouldn't increase the med. I think a resting rate over 80 is cause for concern, and I'd report the tight chest to the doctor before doing any adjustment on my own.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:25 AM   #4
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miper

Is chest tightness a hyper or hypo symptom ? I had the same thing when I started Armour in October, but now is gone (I am slightly hyper with Armour 60 mgs). I had chest tightness before taking any thyroid meds and thought that it was a hypo symptom.

mintchocolate

Old 12-17-2003, 07:04 PM   #5
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi~
    I had the exact same feeling for several weeks. Especially when I did any sort of activity. For me, it ended up being a hyper symptom, but I know it can be a sign of hypo as well. My Dr. lowered my Synthroid from 150mcg to 100mcg and this feeling has finally gone away. It took about 3 weeks after he lowered my dose. I knew this was a hyper symptom for me because I also had a very rapid heart rate.

Good luck
    This is so interesting...my daughter has just been Dx. with hypo. ( about 3mo. ago) and is on levoxyl. She has been complaining that her chest feels like its caving in. Her GP thought maybe she was having anxiety attacks, but that has never happened to her before. We have gotten no answeres to what it might be. Now I am wondering if it's the hypo. Thanks for the input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

lfoster21,
    Yes, chest heaviness and discomfort can definitely be from hypo... It was the symptom that led to my eventual diagnosis.
    But miper was asking about it in connection with a medication increase, which is actually a serious warning sign that the dose is too high. It can be dangerous; the discomfort associated with the hypo itself is not.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1
    lfoster21,
    Yes, chest heaviness and discomfort can definitely be from hypo... It was the symptom that led to my eventual diagnosis.
    But miper was asking about it in connection with a medication increase, which is actually a serious warning sign that the dose is too high. It can be dangerous; the discomfort associated with the hypo itself is not.
    Thanks Midwest1, for clearing that up for me. We will bring the issue up with her endo. at her next appt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-18-2003, 04:42 AM   #8
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

But what if there is nothing else indicative of hyperthyroidism? I took my pulse rate several times yesterday and it's about 85 beats a minute. The Doctor seemed to think this was fine when I went last week. It feels so strange, like I just ate a huge and I mean huge dinner and can't catch my breath. That's the feeling I get sometimes, but the strange, heavy feeling seems like it's there most of the time. When I exercise vigorously everyday, I don't have any problems either. WEIRD!
    I'm just so confused because free t4 was low, TSH was low at .4 something. Have no clue what free t3 is, but how can I be hyper with a low free t4?

Old 12-18-2003, 05:42 AM   #9
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

I was just doing some reading of my old posts and it seems I had these feelings in my chest when I was on 60 mgs. also (I forgot LOL). That was when the dose was obviously too low...could this mean it's still too low even with a low TSH?

Old 12-18-2003, 06:07 AM   #10
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I don't want to beat this subject to death... I'll just say this as a cautionary tale.

An overdose of T3 can and does cause heart attack and stroke. It happened to my mother; she is now confined to a nursing home due to a debilitating stroke connected to thyroid med mismanagement.

Your HR of 85 at the doctor's office isn't necessarily abnormal. Just moving around slightly can raise it that much... then add to that the anxiety of an OV, and it might not be questionable. But a resting HR of 85 can be cause for concern.

Because you have posted several times about self-medicating, ways to raise T3, and the fact that you have never even had FT3 tested, I felt the need to warn you at least one more time that you could be headed for trouble, and should at least report your latest symptoms to the doctor, who could then order a FT3 test if he were so inclined.
    (That's it. I promise I'll let it go now. )

Old 12-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #11
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

Thank you Midwest....I promise, I took it to heart.....on the phone with Doctor now.

Closed Thread