It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• secondary hypothyroidism

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User
    secondary hypothyroidism

Me again. I posted today about my visit with my NP and my frustration. I got to thinking about something as i was surfing the web and looking for a local endo. I came across some info about secondary hypothyroidism.
    Here's why i think this may apply to me (though i don't think i have a tumor on the pituitary gland): My ovaries never developed. My endo at the time (25 years ago) called it Ovarian Dysgenesis. I never had puberty til i started hormones at age 19. The doctors weren't sure why i only had a bit of tissue where my ovaries should have been and no eggs, therefore no estrogen, therefore no puberty. The hormones brought about puberty.
    They had also tested for adrenal and thyroid function back then which i was told was fine. Then 10 years later i started having trouble with depression out of the blue. Couldn't figure out what that was all about. From then on (about 15 years now) i started to develop what i now believe to be thyroid symptoms...poor concentration, feeling cold, brittle nails, low metabolism, brain fog, etc. I was diagnosed in May 2002 as hypo. based on a TSH of 13.
    As per my last post my TSH is now normal (1.63) with .075 synthroid.
    If secondary hypo is what i have, could i be right in thinking that the TSH levels may not be good enough to use as a guide? Could it be that the same pituitary which failed in puberty is deficient and may not be producing TSH?
    I still feel lousy....though a little better than i did when i was diagnosed. I really think i need a higher dose.
    I've also read many times that a higher dose is normally needed when you are on estrogen as well.
    Would appreciate any input........I can't wait to feel like myself again.

cossette

Last edited by cossette2; 01-07-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User
    Re: secondary hypothyroidism

TSH is not enough to use as a guide. You have to get your Free numbers checked to see what is actually going on inside your body.
    For instance, my TSH is .14 right now, but I am most definitely not hyper even though if you look at just my TSH you would think that I am.
    Please, find someone to check all of your thyroid. You need a full panel done. After that, if the numbers aren't right, you can go from there. Let us know how it goes.

Closed Thread