It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I need help please--test results came back "normal"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
    huh?

huh? HB User
    I need help please--test results came back "normal"

I received my test results today. The nurse said they were "normal". I asked for the actual numbers. Needless to say, I'm very upset. I have all the symptoms for both Hypo and Hyper-I'd say about an equal amount for both. I was so hoping for the results to be a cut and dry abnormal so I could proceed. With all my symptoms I know that I have a problem. This just seems to delay any type of treatment.

Here are my results, can you guys give me some feedback as to what you think this means please. I could really use the help. Thanks in advance.

T3 163 normal range 60-181
    T4 7.5 4.5-12.5
    TSH 1.59 .40-5.50

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
    Stephanie1112

Stephanie1112 HB User
    Re: I need help please--test results came back "normal"

huh,

I know how you feel! I went thru the very same thing yesterday and I was so upset! My Dr thinks I'm nuts, and referred me to a Psychologist! Needless to say, I won't be seeing him any longer. This is such a frustrating thing. These Dr's are looking at numbers instead of listening to their patients! Like I was told yesterday by everyone, we just have to keep looking for a Dr who will listen to us. Good Luck!

Stephanie

Old 01-09-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
    huh?

huh? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephanie1112
    huh,

I know how you feel! I went thru the very same thing yesterday and I was so upset! My Dr thinks I'm nuts, and referred me to a Psychologist! Needless to say, I won't be seeing him any longer. This is such a frustrating thing. These Dr's are looking at numbers instead of listening to their patients! Like I was told yesterday by everyone, we just have to keep looking for a Dr who will listen to us. Good Luck!

Stephanie
    Yeah, this whole thing stinks! I'm sorry you're going thru it also. Are you having a hard time with your endocrinologist or a regular doctor?

Old 01-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
    Stephanie1112

Stephanie1112 HB User

The Dr I have been seeing is an Internist. I'm searching for a good Endo now. I saw one a few years ago when I had thyroiditis and he didn't run any new test. He just looked at the labs that I had and said he didn't think I had a problem!
    Even my lab work from the ultrasound and scan said I had thyroidits and he said he didn't think that was right, but he didn't want to run anymore test. Just wanted me to come back in a month. He was a quack! What a waste of money!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huh?
    Yeah, this whole thing stinks! I'm sorry you're going thru it also. Are you having a hard time with your endocrinologist or a regular doctor?

Old 01-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

Thyroiditis does not just go away. You either have it or you don't. Did either of you have antibodies testing done?

Old 01-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #6
    llovell67
    (female)

llovell67 HB User

Hi Stephanie! I noticed that you live in Arlington - I'm in Dallas. Wanted to tell you about a FABULOUS endo that I have started seeing (after my first opinion with a doc that I didn't 'connect' with). I, too, have had Hyper/Hypo symptoms and my numbers are normal as well. I was born (we think) with only the right side of my thyroid and that has a nodule on it - benign. I'm sick of people telling me it's all in my head. This doctor listened to me, explained thoroughly what the tests results meant, did an antibodies test, etc. I feel so much better now. I think that he reassured me so much that maybe some of the things I was feeling 'were' b/c I was thinking of them too much. It's NEVER just all in your head, and don't let anyone tell you that - it's so frustrating.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2004 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
    I received my test results today. The nurse said they were "normal". I asked for the actual numbers. Needless to say, I'm very upset. I have all the symptoms for both Hypo and Hyper-I'd say about an equal amount for both. I was so hoping for the results to be a cut and dry abnormal so I could proceed. With all my symptoms I know that I have a problem. This just seems to delay any type of treatment.

Here are my results, can you guys give me some feedback as to what you think this means please. I could really use the help. Thanks in advance.

T4 7.5 4.5-12.5
    TSH 1.59 .40-5.50

If this is all the testing they did they did not do enough. If you are experiencing symptoms then you NEED to have T4 FREE, T3 FREE and thyroid antibody testing, you can have a thyroid problem even if your other test results are normal if you have antibodies present or if your FREE numbers are not in the right area of the range. When antibodies are attacking the thyroid it may take years before the standard bloodwork that most docs do show there is even a problem, so you can suffer for a long time with symptoms.

Go to an endo, most regular docs do not have enough training in thryoid to really help you and sad to say a lot of them do not even know how to read the test results.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
    Stephanie1112

Stephanie1112 HB User

Miper,

When I went to the Dr yesterday, I asked him to run the Free T3, T4 and antibodies labs, but he said it wasn't necessary because my thyroid was normal!!! He said that he knew that there were some people who had normal results and still had thyroid disease, but I he didn't think I fit that category! Now I'm looking for a good Endo.

Stephanie

Old 01-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
    Stephanie1112

Stephanie1112 HB User

llovell67,

I would greatly appreciate knowing the Dr that you see. As far as I know, you can post the Dr's name. I don't have any leads on good Endo's that others have seen and had success with.

Thanks a bunch!
    Stephanie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by llovell67
    Hi Stephanie! I noticed that you live in Arlington - I'm in Dallas. Wanted to tell you about a FABULOUS endo that I have started seeing (after my first opinion with a doc that I didn't 'connect' with). I don't know if I can post his name? Email me back and I'll give it to you if I can't post it on the boards - don't know the rules about that! I, too, have had Hyper/Hypo symptoms and my numbers are normal as well. I was born (we think) with only the right side of my thyroid and that has a nodule on it - benign. I'm sick of people telling me it's all in my head. This doctor listened to me, explained thoroughly what the tests results meant, did an antibodies test, etc. I feel so much better now. I think that he reassured me so much that maybe some of the things I was feeling 'were' b/c I was thinking of them too much. It's NEVER just all in your head, and don't let anyone tell you that - it's so frustrating. Anyway, email me and I'll give you his name.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
    huh?

huh? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dea4
    If this is all the testing they did they did not do enough. If you are experiencing symptoms then you NEED to have T4 FREE, T3 FREE and thyroid antibody testing, you can have a thyroid problem even if your other test results are normal if you have antibodies present or if your FREE numbers are not in the right area of the range. When antibodies are attacking the thyroid it may take years before the standard bloodwork that most docs do show there is even a problem, so you can suffer for a long time with symptoms.

Go to an endo, most regular docs do not have enough training in thryoid to really help you and sad to say a lot of them do not even know how to read the test results.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

My concern with all of this now is going to be the money part. I have a $5000.00 deductible so everything will be out of pocket for awhile. Are those tests that you spoke of going to run me more, less or about the same $ as the tests I already had? I'm really afraid it's going to take me forever to get into the Endo. I really will have a hard time dealing with these symptoms for much longer. I've got 2 kids and dealing with this makes it so hard to be a good mom. I'm an emotional mess. I can see how people get totally depressed about this. Is there any vitamin, mineral or supplement that may help me with the brain fog until I get treatment? ALSO, if I go ahead and get the T4 FREE, T3 FREE and thyroid antibody testing is it possible that those could come back with "normal: results? Then what do I do? Thanks so much for your help.

huh

Old 01-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #11
    huh?

huh? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miper
    Thyroiditis does not just go away. You either have it or you don't. Did either of you have antibodies testing done?
    No, I didn't get antibodies testing done. I guess that will be my next step.

Thank you!
    huh

Old 01-09-2004, 10:20 PM   #12
    katieoh54

katieoh54 HB User

Quote:

T4 7.5 4.5-12.5
    TSH 1.59 .40-5.50
    Hi,
    I assume that's a total T3...it's above mid point.
    Your T4 is below mid point
    and your TSH is okay...but, alot of people feel best with their TSH at 1.0-1.5.
    I'm not an expert but alot of people feel well when their T4/T3 levels are more balanced. You have more T3 than T4 so you probably don't have any conversion problems.
    Was the T4 a total or Free test?
    Are these the first tests you had done? Is that all that was tested? Have you had any adrenal testing done?
    You probably need thyroid antibodies tested too as was suggested.

With those numbers I would probably be feeling really well. But, obviously you are not. Hope you are able to find another doctor who has more insight to thyroid disease.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:55 AM   #13
    huh?

huh? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katieoh54
    Hi,
    I assume that's a total T3...it's above mid point.
    Your T4 is below mid point
    and your TSH is okay...but, alot of people feel best with their TSH at 1.0-1.5.
    I'm not an expert but alot of people feel well when their T4/T3 levels are more balanced. You have more T3 than T4 so you probably don't have any conversion problems.
    Was the T4 a total or Free test?
    Are these the first tests you had done? Is that all that was tested? Have you had any adrenal testing done?
    You probably need thyroid antibodies tested too as was suggested.

With those numbers I would probably be feeling really well. But, obviously you are not. Hope you are able to find another doctor who has more insight to thyroid disease.
    Katieoh54,
    I don't think I had any of the FREE testing at all. I heard them say T3, T4 and TSH, so I'll assume it was just total. This is the first testing I've had done. Haven't had anything else. I'm trying to get an appointment with an Endo as soon as possible as my symptoms are just driving me crazy.

Thanks for your help

Old 01-10-2004, 05:32 PM   #14
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Huh,
    I know what you mean about the money, I have NO insurance at all, I get my bloodwork done at a lab that requires no drs orders and its a lot cheaper, you may want to check if there is a lab in your area that does that.
    It is possible that the tests will come back in the normal range, but just because they are in the normal range does not means it is normal for you, a lot will depend on where in the range the numbers are.

There is no vitamin that you can take that will replace the thyroid hormone if you are lacking. You can take selenium, it it vital for thyroid health, but I would get the tests done as soon as possible because if this is a thyroid problem it will only get worse.

If you do get the tests done, get a copy of the results and post them here on the boards along with the lab ranges, there are a lot of posters who are very good at decifering lab results.

I hope you can get answers soon, 5000 is a very large deductable, but your health is at stake here and if its thyroid it won't get better and the rest of your health will suffer with it as thyroid affects everything in your body.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #15
    huh?

huh? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dea4
    Huh,
    I know what you mean about the money, I have NO insurance at all, I get my bloodwork done at a lab that requires no drs orders and its a lot cheaper, you may want to check if there is a lab in your area that does that.
    It is possible that the tests will come back in the normal range, but just because they are in the normal range does not means it is normal for you, a lot will depend on where in the range the numbers are.

There is no vitamin that you can take that will replace the thyroid hormone if you are lacking. You can take selenium, it it vital for thyroid health, but I would get the tests done as soon as possible because if this is a thyroid problem it will only get worse.

If you do get the tests done, get a copy of the results and post them here on the boards along with the lab ranges, there are a lot of posters who are very good at decifering lab results.

I hope you can get answers soon, 5000 is a very large deductable, but your health is at stake here and if its thyroid it won't get better and the rest of your health will suffer with it as thyroid affects everything in your body.

Dea4,

Yes, I saw some of those labs. Unfortunately in my state you have to have doctors orders. I've gotten my first set of tests that came back normal so now I'll be needing to get the others. How much do the Free t3, free t4 and the antibodies tests run? And I assume there are none of the home do it yourself labs that run those tests?

Here are the test results from the first round of tests:

T4 7.5 4.5-12.5
    TSH 1.59 .40-5.50

These came back normal. I've called the Endocrinologist and I'm waiting for an appointment. Thank you so much Dea4, you are such a kind person and a huge wealth of information.

Closed Thread