It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• MY LONG list of both MY Hypo/Hyper Symptoms and results say "normal"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
    huh?

huh? HB User
    MY LONG list of both MY Hypo/Hyper Symptoms and results say "normal"

This is the list I've compiled of MY symptoms-that may or may not be related to my Thyroid. I figure this is the best thing for me to do to present to the Endocrinologist when I get an appointment. I obviously need more testing. Here are the test results I received yesterday. I sure don't FEEL "normal". Sorry if some of the symptoms are listed more than once. My head isn't completely together today and I also know that some Hypo and Hyper symptoms can be similar. Is it possible that ALL these symptoms could be related to some other illness? I just looked at my symptoms--could this be menopause or early menopause? I'm 33, with 2 kids ages 7 and 5.

T3 163 normal range 60-181
    T4 7.5 Range 4.5-12.5
    TSH 1.59 Range .40-5.50

Mom was diagnosed Hypo 3 years ago-has been taking medication.
    Some of these symptoms I’ve had forever. I just now see that they may fit into the Thyroid Dysfunction puzzle.

My Hypo Symptoms

Fatigue-had a lot of fatigue in the past for no reason-when younger was capable of sleeping of sleeping 12-13 hours a day...maybe laziness?
    Weakness-(within the past 3 weeks) upper arm and legs, not all the time
    Weight Gain-this may or may not be related because I quit smoking about 2 months ago, but gained about 10 lbs. in 3 weeks
    Coarse, dry hair-(Within the past month) Noticed my hair is breaking off and is alot weaker than it used to be. Also smells like it’s burning when I blow dry it now
    Pale skin
    Cold intolerance-Hands and feet always (has been this way forever). On occasion so cold that I will need a space heater and several extra blankets when no one else is cold.
    Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches (recent)-calves get achy like I’ve been working out but haven’t. Feet try to cramp (this is recent)
    Constipation-only when ovulating and severe. Very uncomfortable.
    Irritability-Recently much more noticed irritability-swings-from out of nowhere.
    Memory loss-short term memory is horrible (been getting gradually worse for 2 months)
    Abnormal menstrual cycles-periods come more frequently -(for example: November 11, December 31, heavy and last for 7 days or longer
    Sluggish-motor skills seem off-moving slower and feel like at times I have weights on my legs
    Difficulty concentrating
    Itchy skin-Burning skin like a rash and feels like my skin is sunburned at times
    Anxiety-horrible and can turn into panic attacks (isn’t this a hyper symptom also?)
    Breathing-shortness of breath-feels like collapsed lung or something-feels floppy
    Dizziness-out of nowhere
    Eye problems-had eyes checked sometime in Oct/Nov-blurry and felt like muscle strain. Doctor reported no problems at all. Pressure behind eyes-feels like a sinus headache all the time.
    Hearing problems-- pressure in ears all the time and feel like I can’t hear
    Low blood pressure-BP has always been on the lower side
    Mental Challenges-brain fog, lack of focus, concentration
    Mood swings
    Nail problems-toenails are yellow
    PMS--(Anxiety, Mood Swings, Irritability, Nervous Tension, Breast Tenderness, Craving for Sweets, Increased Appetite)
    Snoring-snored for years, started after having kids; this has just stopped about 1 year ago
    Throat problems-some swallowing is very slow
    Total loss of interest in regular activities

My Hyper Symptoms

Nervousness-always have had a nervous personality-started actually feeling nervous, restless and anxious
    Irritability-easily irritated and it’s seems alot more heightened than before. Easily irritated.
    Increased perspiration-Night sweats are horrible-this just started within the past 3 weeks
    Brittle hair-breaking-noticed about 1 month ago
    Muscular weakness-upper arms and legs
    Panic disorder-Have recently started having panic attacks- remembered 1st one being in July
    Sleep problems-haven’t slept thru the night in 5 years; difficulty staying asleep-started after 2nd daughter was born
    Racing heart, Palpitations-In October, was thinking I needed to go get my heart checked. Had palpitations and felt like it was flopping around in my chest. Felt like it was skipping a beat, etc...or feels unusually fast
    Frequent bowel movements out of nowhere and diarrhea, loose stools
    Sometimes will feel hot and flushed out of nowhere
    I feel fatigued during the day, mostly in the morning but to restless to fall asleep...if I do fall asleep it’s not good sleep and will usually awaken with a jolt within 15 mins.
    I sometimes have LOTS of nervous energy (anxiousness)
    Again, irregular menstrual cycles-Abnormal menstrual cycles-periods come more frequently --July 25, not sure about August, Sept., October, November 11, December 31 heavy and last for 7 days or longer
    Breathing-shortness of breath-feels like collapsed lung or something-feels floppy
    Constipation only while ovulating-very uncomfortable
    Mental Challenges-brain fog, lack of focus, concentration, forgetfulness, difficulty reading, thinking or calculating)
    Eye problems-had eyes checked sometime in Oct/Nov-blurry and felt like muscle strain. Doctor reported no problems at all. Pressure behind eyes-feels like a sinus headache all the time.
    Easily startled or jumpy
    Hearing problems-- pressure in ears all the time and feel like I can’t hear
    Sensitive to heat-hot when others are not
    Increased appetite-(thought this was a PMS thing, may be a Thyroid thing)

Misc. symptoms-not sure where these fit

Motor skills are bad--slow movements, sometimes have to actually think about what I’m doing. Bad dexterity and coordination
    Skin flushing or burning

Last edited by huh?; 01-10-2004 at 09:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 05:09 AM   #2
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User
    Re: MY LONG list of both MY Hypo/Hyper Symptoms and results say "normal"

Have you had your thyroid antibodies tested? This is something maybe you should check into when you go back to Doc.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
    huh?

huh? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miper
    Have you had your thyroid antibodies tested? This is something maybe you should check into when you go back to Doc.
    No, I haven't. That's my next step. Guess I need that along with Free T3 and T4. I think that's what they're called.

Thank you

Old 01-11-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

From my experience and that of a few posters' that I've read here, I'd be cautious about presenting such a long list of symptoms to a doctor. It will overwhelm him, and he'll label you a crank. The minute I began telling my first internist about all the syx I had, and that I suspected it was my thyroid causing them, he wanted to refer me to a psychologist, an ENT doc, a sleep clinic, and an ophthalmologist for some of the separate syx, but he didn't want to do a basic TSH test. It seemed clear to me he wanted to run me ragged chasing syx because he thought I was being overdramatically focused on my health... In short, a hypochondriac. I am now quite sure he has no idea that all those things can be connected to a bum thyroid. I learned a lot about him from that OV, and I scheduled an appt with an endo the very next day.
    It might be best for you to choose three or four of the very most bothersome, classic thyroid syx for your first visit to a new doc. JMHO

There's something else you didn't mention or ask about, but I just wanted to tell you about something important I've learned about thyroid trouble during my months of reading ... I searched the Archives under your user name in order to read your whole story and gain a better understanding of it. I noticed that you posted a few times on the bipolar board, because you've self-diagnosed and think that disease may be an issue for you. I have read several basic thyroid books, and a couple have mentioned that a fluctuating thyroid can look for all the world like bipolar disease and is sometimes misdiagnosed as that, because it can play havoc with the emotions and the nervous system. A hyper phase can make one jittery and jumpy, causing panic attacks, and look like the manic phase; and the hypo phase can cause severe lethargy and depression, looking like the depressive phase.
    Just my suggestion for you -- as a layperson of course --Make sure you see as many reputable dox as you need to to completely evaluate the condition of your thyroid before you accept any bipolar diagnosis. Your syx list looks for all the world like thyroid syx... I'd focus first on that, were I you.

Old 01-11-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
    huh?

huh? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1
    From my experience and that of a few posters' that I've read here, I'd be cautious about presenting such a long list of symptoms to a doctor. It will overwhelm him, and he'll label you a crank. The minute I began telling my first internist about all the syx I had, and that I suspected it was my thyroid causing them, he wanted to refer me to a psychologist, an ENT doc, a sleep clinic, and an ophthalmologist for some of the separate syx, but he didn't want to do a basic TSH test. It seemed clear to me he wanted to run me ragged chasing syx because he thought I was being overdramatically focused on my health... In short, a hypochondriac. I am now quite sure he has no idea that all those things can be connected to a bum thyroid. I learned a lot about him from that OV, and I scheduled an appt with an endo the very next day.
    It might be best for you to choose three or four of the very most bothersome, classic thyroid syx for your first visit to a new doc. JMHO

There's something else you didn't mention or ask about, but I just wanted to tell you about something important I've learned about thyroid trouble during my months of reading ... I searched the Archives under your user name in order to read your whole story and gain a better understanding of it. I noticed that you posted a few times on the bipolar board, because you've self-diagnosed and think that disease may be an issue for you. I have read several basic thyroid books, and a couple have mentioned that a fluctuating thyroid can look for all the world like bipolar disease and is sometimes misdiagnosed as that, because it can play havoc with the emotions and the nervous system. A hyper phase can make one jittery and jumpy, causing panic attacks, and look like the manic phase; and the hypo phase can cause severe lethargy and depression, looking like the depressive phase.
    Just my suggestion for you -- as a layperson of course --Make sure you see as many reputable dox as you need to to completely evaluate the condition of your thyroid before you accept any bipolar diagnosis. Your syx list looks for all the world like thyroid syx... I'd focus first on that, were I you.
    Thank you for being so kind to be thorough. Yes, I agree, right now I am pretty much focusing on a thyroid problem. When I went to the doctor for the first time (last Friday-about 9 days ago) I was having a panic attack. My symptoms did look Bi-polar for sure, and I was leaning in that direction. The walk-in clinic doctor I saw (because it was a Holiday, I went to him) first asked if I had my thyroid checked. I had it checked 5 years ago, after my second daughter was born. Results of course came back normal. I didn't know any better then to check into it more and demand more testing. And because it seemed more logical at the time for it to be anxiety or depression-which it very well may or may not have been. Then, he asked if I was familiar with Bi-Polar-which was somewhat comforting to hear believe it or not. For me, it was a diagnosis that was atleast the same as mine and better than feeling like I was going crazy and dying. The brain fog has been horrible. He prescribed me Effexor that I took 2 doses off and quit because I was having chest pains and was nervous about becoming hooked on them. The next day I asked my mom if she had any thyroid problems-she said oh yeah, I've been hypo for 3 years-i think she said she's on Synthroid. From that point I started researching Thyroid dysfunction and just can't believe how many symptoms I've had and how many new ones I've seen within the past few months.

There is a small part of me that's wondering if this could be early menopause. I'm 33. One thing I don't think I mentioned on my list of symptoms is my newfound whiskers on my chin. LOL. That makes me think along with the other symptoms that it could be a hormonal thing. It's all so confusing to me. So many of these symptoms are so similar to other health problems it's hard to pinpoint one thing. And the condition my head is in is making it hard to remember, focus on and understand anything. But like I said, right now I'm primarily focusing on the Thyroid Dysfunction. And yes, I did have some hyper days (those are gone now) that could definately look manic so I can see how the doc would jump to the BP diagnosis. I'm really trying to get my facts down so I can try to prove my case because I really hate to going to so many different doctors. We have a $5000.00 deductible, so the less docs the better, if possible. If not, then that's fine too. I'd just like to narrow it down though. I put a call in to an endocrinologist and left a message to make an appointment. Now I'm just waiting for a call back.

Wow! I've rambled, sorry! It's nice to be able to talk to people that understand and can help me a bit. Thank you so much for being such a kind person.

Old 01-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
    huh?

huh? HB User

Midwest,

What do you think about me going ahead and getting the FREE T3/T4 and antibodies test on my own if I can without waiting for the Endo to schedule me an appointment?

Like I said, so far I've been to one doctor (the walk-in clinic, doc in a box) so far.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread