It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What are the effects too much/little iodine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2004, 06:52 AM   #1
    mipps

mipps HB User
    What are the effects too much/little iodine?

Because I am swinging from high to low, I was wondering if it was due to my diet.

I love fish and green vegetables. If I get too much Iodine would that make me hyper or hypo???

I have read sparky but not sure whether I should have a low Iodine diet?

Thanks

Mipps - real name Sonia
    Hashimotos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User
    Re: What are the effects too much/little iodine?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mipps
    Because I am swinging from high to low, I was wondering if it was due to my diet.

I love fish and green vegetables. If I get too much Iodine would that make me hyper or hypo???

I have read sparky but not sure whether I should have a low Iodine diet?

Thanks

Mipps - real name Sonia
    Hashimotos

Hi Sonia.

Having been a former Hashi's person here also (I had my thyroid removed in December) I can sympathize with your swinging from high to low.
    Some days - I would swing that way in the same day, let alone in the same week -sheesh.

I don't know that my diet ever affected my swings. I did notice that if I ate chocolate or drank caffeine that my heart would beat extremely fast. But I thought that that happened to everyone (I could so be wrong here).

I'm not sure that I can post links, but if you'll go to *********** and type in 'iodine and thyroid functions" it will bring back several information articles.

I hope that someone else on the board will be more knowledgeable on this matter than myself, and can give you better answers.

Old 01-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

too much iodine throws your thyroid off ... iodized salt is fine, has just the right amount of iodine in it, but something like kelp throws your levels right off ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:17 AM   #4
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglebts
    too much iodine throws your thyroid off ... iodized salt is fine, has just the right amount of iodine in it, but something like kelp throws your levels right off ...

jb

For that matter, so can too little iodine. Areas where the soil has been depleted of nutrients also produces low-iodine produce.

As for iodized salt - how do you know how much is the right amount to use? Some people cook with it, then salt their food after it is prepared.

I've been using a lite-salt version for years, as at one time my BP was way high and I was trying to get it under control.

Closed Thread