It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Goitre and Lump but Doctors say I'm "normal"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
    loose

loose HB User
    Arrow Goitre and Lump but Doctors say I'm "normal"

Hi everyone-

This board makes for very interesting reading...I wonder if anyone would give me some feedback on my situation...
    For as long as I can remember, doctors have commented on the fact that my thyroid is enlarged. I'd often be at the doctors for something unrelated but they would mention that it might be a goitre, take blood etc and then results would be "normal". Well anyhow, a year ago I was in hospital for an operation for endometriosis and the surgeon noticed a lump on the right side of my thyroid gland. They insisted I make an appointment to get a blood test and ultrasound. The results showed that the lump was made of the same tissue as the thyroid itself and was therefore benign. I was told to monitor it's size and as the blood test results were once again normal, I wasn't to worry about it.
    Although relieved I still wonder if something is indeed wrong with my thyroid as I have several unexplained symptoms-
    -Transient numbness, weakness and tingling in face, hands, legs.
    -Transient blurred vision, flashes, floaters and sparks
    -Fatigue
    -Muscle twitching
    -Buzzing and shaky limbs
    -Carpal tunnel
    -Extreme light sensitivity
    -Slight drooping of right eyebrow/lid and puffiness around left eye

My grandmother and cousin are both hypo and they suffered from severe weight gain BUT my weight doesn't really fluctuate and I'm of average weight for my height and have a slim build. This makes me wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree...I'd like to know if it's possible to have a thyroid disorder without weight being an issue.
    Oh, also my left leg was very weak for a time and the muscle around my knee began to waste slightly which made my doctor wonder about MS. I was referred to a neurologist who did a physical and announced that the whole of my left side is smaller and weaker than my right side. He wouldn't let me have an MRI and sent me packing feeling like a total hypochondriac. I'm still concerned that my problems could be neurological but given that thyroid symptoms are similar I thought hearing from people with personal experience might clarify things.
    Thanks for reading my story...

Warm wishes to everyone
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
    KandiKane

KandiKane HB User
    Re: Goitre and Lump but Doctors say I'm "normal"

I can't really offer any help but can say that I have had a goiter and now have a nodule. I also have most of the same symptoms that you do with the addition of a super dry mouth. And like you, everytime I have lab work done it always comes back in the normal range. I did have an ultra sound of the nodule and an MRI. Nothing showed up out of the ordinary and the nodule has remained very small. The only thing I have been told is that I most likely have Sjogren's Syndrome and that the nodule may be sporadically throwing out excess thyroid hormone. It's totally frustrating. Wish I could be of more help but all I can do is lend a sympathetic ear. Hang in there and maybe you'll get some answers.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
    loose

loose HB User

Thanks for your message...our stories are really similar. Nobody ever mentioned to me that the lump/nodule could be producing excess hormone, but now that I think about it, if it's made from the same material as the thyroid itself, it could be the source of alot of my symptoms. Even before I had the lump I did suspect that there was something wrong given that my thyroid is so prominent but alot of my symptoms have developed since the lump appeared.
    You mention you had an MRI- was this because you also suspected that your symptoms could be neurological? I wasn't offered one but often feel that with an MRI I would at least be able to have some piece of mind.
    I've changed doctors and I have my first appointment with him next week so I'm going to try to assert myself and ask for all the tests again.
    It took 10 years to get diagnosed with endometriosis and I saw dozens of doctors. Eventually I read an article in Cosmo that listed all of the symptoms and realised I had every oe of them. I was in such pain at the time that I went straight to the hospital's emergency dept where the doctor examined me and said straight away "classic endometriosis". I'd had it since I was 14 and had 10 years of doctors saying I had piles, IBS, anxiety, frigidity, possible miscarriages etc. I'm just about to get fertility treatment so that I might conceive and it was all preventable if they'd just listened to me and had more knowledge of women's health. The result is I don't trust doctors one bit and I'm sick and tired of them treating women like they are hysterical. Bit of a vent there...anyway I wish you all the luck in the world in getting to the bottom of your symptoms.

Lucy

Old 01-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
    KandiKane

KandiKane HB User

I think it is a must to be assertive when you visit with your doctor. Giving lots of information and asking lots of questions is the quickest way to get some answers.

You are right about my MRI, it was to check for neurological disorders, etc. All that showed up was that I do indeed have a brain. (sort of surprise to some people - lol) I am sure glad that I have that test behind me. I am due for another thyroid scan in the spring and am kind of anxious to see what shows up this time. Even thought my nodule is very small, it hurts like heck sometimes.

Good luck with your doctor. I hope you will post a follow-up report here.

Never feel bad about venting. It will help save your sanity!

Oh.......bout forgot. I also have had endometriosis. Not much fun. Mine ended up being taken care of surgically. I was only 27 but thankfully already had two children.

Closed Thread