It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Flunked My Adrenal Test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
    Flunked My Adrenal Test?

I finally had all of my adrenal testing done and received a message to come to an appointment I didn't know I had, this morning. That's never good when it takes sooo long to get an appointment. Of course I am again 1300 miles away from that appointment, taking care of my elderly parents, so can't go. A quick conversation with the doctor. She told me my thyroid tests were fine, tsh a little low, all other numbers okay. Except there was too much steroid (I didn't think to ask what kind) in my urine. Way too much, whatever that means. She thinks I have an adrenal tumor and told me she would discuss it when I came in, which is Feb. 18th. I was a little too surprised to ask the right questions and she sounded quite cheerful, so until I hung up and thought about it, I didn't really start thinking. I don't have access to any sort of search engine right now. Does anyone know if these tumors are usually cancerous or benign. I am NOT having a good day. Thanks, IWL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: Flunked My Adrenal Test?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwannalife
    I finally had all of my adrenal testing done and received a message to come to an appointment I didn't know I had, this morning. That's never good when it takes sooo long to get an appointment. Of course I am again 1300 miles away from that appointment, taking care of my elderly parents, so can't go. A quick conversation with the doctor. She told me my thyroid tests were fine, tsh a little low, all other numbers okay. Except there was too much steroid (I didn't think to ask what kind) in my urine. Way too much, whatever that means. She thinks I have an adrenal tumor and told me she would discuss it when I came in, which is Feb. 18th. I was a little too surprised to ask the right questions and she sounded quite cheerful, so until I hung up and thought about it, I didn't really start thinking. I don't have access to any sort of search engine right now. Does anyone know if these tumors are usually cancerous or benign. I am NOT having a good day. Thanks, IWL
    Excess Cortisol in your urine isn't necessarily an indicator of an adrenal tumor, it is also a sign of being over-stressed. Treating with thyroid hormones is a big stres on the body while you are healing and adjusting doses, and in many people, this causes Cortisol to be abnormally high for a while. This is a normal response to stress.

In cases like yours, the excess Cortisol raises your blood sugar, and this may make you gain weight or have trouble losing weight, if you try to lose weight. Hang in there for a while and get this figured out, but don't fret about it being a tumor until you have lab results in your hands.

In people whose Cortisol isn't able to rise (I am an example), the thyroid hormones cause weakness and fatigue that mimics the symptoms of being very hypothyroid, unless the patient takes extra Cortisol (Cortef) and believe me, it is no fun withot the little white cortisol tablets.

DO look into treating yourself for Adrenal Fatigue NOW before the excess cortisol production causes your adrenal to become fatigued and your cortisol to drop low. A Good book to read on this is Adrenal Fatigue: 21st Century Stress Syndrome.

According to the book, the first stage of Adrenal Fatigue shows up as abnormally high Cortisol levels.

Also do some reading on Cushings Disease as well, since that is characterized by high Cortisol levels.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 01-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User

Thnaks Meep,
    I have been regulated and at good thyroid levels for about six months. The doctor said the steroid levels were so high that she would be surprised if this wasn't a tumor. I have the book you recommended and have been following most of the suggestions in it for about six months also. She had me stop taking everything a month before the test. Comparitively speaking I still feel so much better than I did before I started Armour. The fatigue is there but not debilitating. My blood pressure and pulse improved after I started the Armour in July, but have just recently become a problem again. I now have to be careful not to stand up too quickly and have headaches, which are very unusual for me. Anyway, after the initial shock over hearing the word tumor has worn off, I remember how many other tests I've taken that came out abnormal and when repeated, were fine. A "benign" adrenal tumor would actually be preferable to treating mysterious symptoms for the rest of my life. Anyway, thanks again. I feel better now.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
    planetearth

planetearth HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwannalife

Hi . I was wondering, what led to the adrenal testing? Did you first get diagnosed with Hypo and found you were still having problems, if so, what kind? I am wondering if I need an adrenal test...how does one get that done and under what conditions did your doctor recommend it?

I hope all works out well for you...i know it can be unnerving during the waiting time. What do they have to do next to check for an adrenal tumor, and where would it be located?

Best wishes and keep us posted. Feb. 18th is a long way off, so keep the faith!

Old 01-20-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Miss your posts!! Another good read is "Tired of Being Tired" by Jesse Lynn Hanley, MD and Nancy Deville. When I started to read this book I couldn't put it down, so after a few hours of reading it I started to get sleepy and I needed a nap. One of my friends called when I was napping. When I returned her call she asked if I was okay, and I said sure I was reading all morning and got sleepy. She wanted to know what I was reading...I innocently blurted out a book called "Tired of being Tired", she cracked up laughing, it actually took me a second to get it.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

IWL, I had high cortisol with a 24 hour urine test at 99 (4-50), and an Endo who doesn't communicate, so I read up on that.

It is said that for some people, just the sight of a nurse coming at you with a needle to take some blood, is enough to make cortisol levels rise many fold in a normal person. So, first of all, one high reading isn't necessarily anything to over concern yourself with. However, continual high cortisol readings would be of concern, as Meep points out.

There are a few things that can cause high cortisol, and a Doctor will typically take more tests to narrow down what the cause is.

The follow-up test I had was a dexamethasone suppression test, where you take one dose of a cortisol-like med in the evening, and blood is drawn the next morning. The endocrine control with cortisol, is very much like the TRH/TSH/T4 process. ACTH is to adrenals, like TSH is to thyroid. Certain tumors actually secrete ACTH, and would be telling the adrenal glands to produce cortisol. With this dexamethasone med in your body, your pituitary should tell the adrenal glands to stop procuding cortisol. If your cortisol test then shows next to no production, then no tumor is suspected. (as in my case). If cortisol is still being produced, then cushings is diasnosed.

In the case of cushings, other tests would be performed to determine the cause of the high cortisol, whether from medications, adrenal tumors that cause to much cortisol to be produced, or pituitary and other tumors that secrete ACTH.

So, you see, you have a ways to go, before you should be too concerned about tumors yet. Of course, I have no experience, outside of my own, so it could also be that your levels were so high, that maybe that suggests something. But try not to jump to conclusions just yet.

Last edited by Divermon; 01-20-2004 at 10:30 AM.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by planetearth
    Hi . I was wondering, what led to the adrenal testing? Did you first get diagnosed with Hypo and found you were still having problems, if so, what kind? I am wondering if I need an adrenal test...how does one get that done and under what conditions did your doctor recommend it?
    I had graves disease and they radiated my thyroid. I spent several years undertreated and severely hypo, because my numbers were "normal". You should always have adrenal testing before they treat your thyroid, but this isn't common practice. I finally demanded it from my doctor and he agreed. It's just blood and urine tests under certain conditions, very easy and vital for some people.

Quote:
    I hope all works out well for you...i know it can be unnerving during the waiting time. What do they have to do next to check for an adrenal tumor, and where would it be located?
    I think they have to do some sort of ultrasound or MRI type thing. I'm going to ask that the 24 hour urine test be repeated first.

Quote:
    Best wishes and keep us posted. Feb. 18th is a long way off, so keep the faith!
    Thanks. I forgot how nice and helpful people are here.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
    Iwannalife
    Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User

Thanks Divermon for the information. Everything I hear makes me feel better. And thanks for the laugh girlygirly.

Closed Thread