It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Am I hyper ? or still hypo ? lab results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User
    Am I hyper ? or still hypo ? lab results

Hi everyone,

My last lab results were:
    T3 total 205 ng/dl (60-181)
    T4 Free 1.33ng/dl (0.8-1.8)
    TSH 0.02 uIU/ml(0.4-5.5)

I got a new test on Fri, but don't have the results yet.

When I switched to Armour in Oct. I felt terrible, and after 8 weeks around Nov. I was begining to feel better, a lot of the symptoms were going away. My doc said my heart rate was fine, I was sleeping well, but still felt exhausted, so she decided to leave me at the same dosage 60mg even thou the lab results said I was slightly hyper. Most of my symptoms are gone now, I only get tired about once a week in the afternoon and taking a little nap makes me feel better.

Once in a while, not very often I feel a little disconnected and feel my eyes as if I had a blank look, I read in the Thyroid Solution book that that is a hyper symptom. Has anyone experienced this ? Can I be having this hyper symptom and be okay ? Is the once in a while tiredness hypo or hyper symptom ? Any ideas ?

Mintchoc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
    katieoh54

katieoh54 HB User
    Re: Am I hyper ? or still hypo ? lab results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mintchocolate
    Hi everyone,

TSH 0.02 uIU/ml(0.4-5.5)

I got a new test on Fri, but don't have the results yet.

When I switched to Armour in Oct. I felt terrible, and after 8 weeks around Nov. I was begining to feel better, a lot of the symptoms were going away. My doc said my heart rate was fine, I was sleeping well, but still felt exhausted, so she decided to leave me at the same dosage 60mg even thou the lab results said I was slightly hyper. Most of my symptoms are gone now, I only get tired about once a week in the afternoon and taking a little nap makes me feel better.

Once in a while, not very often I feel a little disconnected and feel my eyes as if I had a blank look, I read in the Thyroid Solution book that that is a hyper symptom. Has anyone experienced this ? Can I be having this hyper symptom and be okay ? Is the once in a while tiredness hypo or hyper symptom ? Any ideas ?

Mintchoc
    There are many cross over hypo/hyper symptoms. You can be as exhausted being hyper as hypo. It would be nice to get a Free T3 test to see how that is matching up with the total T3 which is above range.
    Your FT4 is just above the mid-range. Has your TSH ever been that low before?
    It's common to be on Armour and have those kinds of labs.
    You'll probably have a better idea with the new labs.
    Good luck to you.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katieoh54
    There are many cross over hypo/hyper symptoms. You can be as exhausted being hyper as hypo. It would be nice to get a Free T3 test to see how that is matching up with the total T3 which is above range.
    Good luck to you.
    Katie, that is my daughter's name. Hi. No, I have never had a TSH that low, at least not that I know of. I had a TSH of 1.7 in 1997 and had hypo symptoms, and a TSH of 2.4 in 2002, and 3.0 in 2003, that is how I was diagnosed. I don't know if I can get a free T3 test, since the insurance form only lists T3 uptake. (I have a new insurance this year). Because of the snow storm they cancelled my doc appt. so I don't know when I will be able to get the results for the new test. We are supposed to get more snow tonight too. I wonder if this symptom will go away like all the other's did. I hope so.

Mintchoc

Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
    katieoh54

katieoh54 HB User

Quote:
    Katie, that is my daughter's name. Hi. No, I have never had a TSH that low, at least not that I know of. I had a TSH of 1.7 in 1997 and had hypo symptoms, and a TSH of 2.4 in 2002, and 3.0 in 2003, that is how I was diagnosed. I don't know if I can get a free T3 test, since the insurance form only lists T3 uptake. (I have a new insurance this year). Because of the snow storm they cancelled my doc appt. so I don't know when I will be able to get the results for the new test. We are supposed to get more snow tonight too. I wonder if this symptom will go away like all the other's did. I hope so.

Mintchoc
    Can you call and ask the office to give you the results over the phone or have them mail them to you?
    Is the T3 number you posted the T3 uptake? If it is that isn't a T3 test at all.
    It measures the binding proteins if I remember correctly and you would have no idea what your T3 is.
    Perhaps your doctor would be willing to request the Free T3. The doctors can have some pull with the insurance companies.

Were you on Armour for the other TSH tests you just posted? It's common for Armour to supress the TSH. That's why I ignore my TSH and go by the FT3/4 numbers in figuring out where my thyroid is.

Have you had annything else checked? Ferritin levels, FSH, B-12, adrenals?
    I wish all doctors would reailze the endoctrine system is all connected and to get the best picture we need more than the almighty TSH and T4 checked!

Hope you start feeling better.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:28 AM   #5
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
    Hi everyone,

TSH 0.02 uIU/ml(0.4-5.5)

Mintchoc

About 5 weeks ago I posted a very similar post. I am also on Armour. I started to feel tired, my temp started to go down to 96.6-97.7 and my neck started to swell some and I was on edge. I thought I was going to need another dose increase, I was currently on 1 grain also. Imagine my surprise when I was told that my bloodwork showed hyper, not HYPO!!!! I thought it had to be a mistake. My dosage was reduced to 3/4 grain and within a few days my temp started to improve , my sleepiness went away, I wasn't so on edge and my neck felt soooo much better! My doctor told me that perhaps my symptoms didn't catch up to my lab work. But who knows as many hypo and hyper symptoms are the same!!! These were the exact symptoms I had when I was feeling hypo! Go figure!!! Being tired is a symptom of hyper also, to answer your question. Perhaps you should try to reduce your dosage as I did. I now think we have finally tweaked my dose.(It has been a long haul, I started meds in June.) I do feel pretty good I must admit.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

girly,

I remember your posting. How do you take 3/4 ? Two pills ? 1/4 grain and 1/2 grain ? Or do you split your pills ?

I remembered reading that if you take the pills with food that the absoption is less, so I started taking my pill with breakfast. It seems to be doing the trick. I used to take it first thing in the morning and waited an hour before breakfast. So you are probably right, that my tiredness was a hyper symptom, and that weird thing with the eyes is definitely a hyper symptom. I still have not gotten my results since the doctor's office is closed today too. We have had lots and lots of ice and snow.

I guess I must start believing that it is possible to feel good again.....

Thanks,

Mintchoc

Old 01-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #7
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katieoh54
    Good luck to you.

Katie,

The TSH's that I posted 1.7, 2.4 and 3.0 I was not in any kind of medication. I started taking meds in Sept 2003, with Armour it went down to 0.02

The T3 that I posted was T3 Total, but since I changed insurance this January they did a T3 Uptake instead. I saw the bloodwork order and it only listed T4, TSH and T3 uptake, so that is what I got done on Fri, and have not been able to get my results due to lots of snow. My doc even cancelled my appt. yesterday, hopefully I will be able to see soon. I will post my results as soon as I get them. I am feeling better thou.

Thank you

Mintchoc

Old 01-27-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
    girly,

I remember your posting. How do you take 3/4 ? Two pills ? 1/4 grain and 1/2 grain ? Or do you split your pills ?

I remembered reading that if you take the pills with food that the absoption is less, so I started taking my pill with breakfast. It seems to be doing the trick. I used to take it first thing in the morning and waited an hour before breakfast. So you are probably right, that my tiredness was a hyper symptom, and that weird thing with the eyes is definitely a hyper symptom. I still have not gotten my results since the doctor's office is closed today too. We have had lots and lots of ice and snow.

I guess I must start believing that it is possible to feel good again.....

Thanks,

Mintchoc
    When I was on one grain I asked my pharmacist to give me 2 half grains so I could take it twice a day without having to split them. Now I just split one of them.When the script runs out my doctor is going to prescribe me 3/4 grains by getting 3 tablets of 1/4 grains. It really is possible to start feeling good again.

To be honest with you, I didn't even realize how bad I felt until I started to take meds. I just thought that since my 20's I saw doctor after doctor about my "fatigue" and feeling cold and no one seemed to concerned about it that it was just "how I am". Now I am good and angry that no one took my complaint seriously. Who knows how much needless damage my body has suffered. Now that I vented that I'm better!!! Hang in the minty, you will eventually be able to take your life back!

Closed Thread