It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cold feet....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #1
    rainbowdawn
    (female)

rainbowdawn HB User
    Unhappy Cold feet....

Hi. Does anyone else suffer from cold feet? My hands seem to be better and not cold as much of the time as they used to be(my nose is less cold too ) But my feet just are so cold. Maybe it's just winter in Minnesota!! I am on Levothyroxine 50 mcg with more blood work next week to see if my meds need upping...I was dxed with Hypothyroidism in Oct. 2003.. Any suggestions? I have been wearing 2 socks and slippers! Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
    CrystalSpirit

CrystalSpirit HB User
    Re: Cold feet....

It's sure possible that your meds need adjusting. Then again, it does get awfully cold in Minnesota in the winter, and that alone could lead to some cold feet, so it's kind of hard to know for sure I think. Hopefully you will get an answer soon, when the results of your test come back!

CS

Old 01-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
    bluesnowflake
    Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

rainbowdawn (both of those are wonderul thins, huge rainbow fan myself),
    I get such cold feet as well. Nothing seems to make it go away but a really hot water bath/ foot soak. Even after that, within an hour they seem to be freezing again. The worst is at night. So I take a foot dip, immediately dry them and throw socks and slippers on, and get them tucked into a blanket I threw in te dryer for a few minutes (along with the socks)- this seems to keep them warm for a while, especially if I don't move around a lot. The worst is when my feet are frozen and my head is feels like its on fire...it just doesn't make any sense to me!!!!

blue

Old 01-28-2004, 04:09 PM   #4
    daisey712
    (male)

daisey712 HB User

I also suffer from cold feet all winter. I am having a ultrasound of my thyroid in a few days to see if that could be part of the problem. But I have been having luck with something I made. I took a really long sock and filled with rice (NOT THE INSTANT KIND) and I just tied a knot on the end of the sock. Then I pop it in the microwave for 2 - 2 1/2 mintues and it is really warm. I lay it over my feet and it stays warm for quite some time. Sometimes it is really hot when it comes from the microwave so I put socks on my feet and then put the rice sock over them. I saw this sock thing in the stores some time back but never bought one. Then when I decided I wanted one, of course, I couldn't find one so I made my own. Hope this helps for you.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

and I am thinking of getting an old fashioned 'hot water bottle' gone are the days with 'warming pans' delicately brushed over the cold linen by a lovely little person. So I am hunting for a hot water bottle. Meantime I wear thick DH's work socks over top of my own socks.

I find my hands are far colder most of the time than my feet.

BonBe

Old 01-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

addemdum: : Not meaning my DH is thick, only his socks

Old 01-29-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
    CrystalSpirit

CrystalSpirit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonBe
    and I am thinking of getting an old fashioned 'hot water bottle' gone are the days with 'warming pans' delicately brushed over the cold linen by a lovely little person. So I am hunting for a hot water bottle. Meantime I wear thick DH's work socks over top of my own socks.

I find my hands are far colder most of the time than my feet.

BonBe
    Hot water bottles are wonderful! You can find them in any drugstore (sometimes they are labeled as douche/enema equipment and come with some hoses you can throw away and just use the hot water bottle part) or at any Wal-mart.

CS

Old 01-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
    Peeps

Peeps HB User
    Re: Cold feet....Oh YEAH, me too!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rainbowdawn
    Hi. Does anyone else suffer from cold feet? My hands seem to be better and not cold as much of the time as they used to be(my nose is less cold too ) But my feet just are so cold. Maybe it's just winter in Minnesota!! I am on Levothyroxine 50 mcg with more blood work next week to see if my meds need upping...I was dxed with Hypothyroidism in Oct. 2003.. Any suggestions? I have been wearing 2 socks and slippers! Thanks!!!
    Hi RainbowDawn,

It is nice to meet you! I live in Northern, Minnesota. It is dangerously cold these days! We had 31 below zero last night and windchill of 54 below zero! Schools are closed - it is not fit for man nor beast! My heart is breaking for all the critters that cannot escape this deadly weather. Thankfully, our foot of snow on Sunday/Monday will provide some insulation for some animals to dive into for warmth. It is going to stay this way for some time too - UGH!

I have the same problem. My feet are just ice cubes all the time! They do warm up when I am busy doing housework, like vacumming, that gets the circulation moving better. Also when I shower, but like someone else wrote, it does not last too long.

Do your feet get so cold that they actually HURT? Mine do; it is painful. It seems like even when my feet may not feel real cold to the touch, they still feel icy cold to me and painful.

I also started having a severe allergy to the cold many years ago, breaking out in severe hives (Cold Urticaria). I would itch like the dickens from it. It seems to be a hormone allergy in my case (it coincided with my starting and stopping oral contraceptives, while I am on them, the allergy subsides!). Even though I have not been breaking out in hives for the past 5 years of being on the Pill again, I still get some burning and itching when my feet are so cold. If my hands get chilled, like when washing produce or outside, they do as well.

I have not been treated for my hypo yet, so I am hoping that when I do my cold extremeties will improve!! It is one of my biggest complaints. My hands have not been too bad lately either, I have noticed. I don't why, as they used to be. My nose still drives me crazy though, it is painfully cold a lot of the time too.

Have you ever seen 'down booties?' I have a pair of them that my hubby bought me YEARS ago for when we went camping. They are great! They are made by The North Face. I don't even know if the company still exists. I did not put them on soon enough today, so now it is going to take time to thaw out my feet in them. The ones I have are also nice because they have a very thick comfy sole, which is nice for walking on and to better insulate your feet from the ground. My feet will actually get too warm in them after awhile of wearing them if I am moving about.

Stay warm, somehow!!

Best Wishes,
    Sue

Last edited by Peeps; 01-29-2004 at 09:12 AM.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #9
    Eliza79

Eliza79 HB User

I was just wondering if the cold feet thing is actually a symptom of thyroid issues or not and if so, what is it that causes it? I just wonder because I suspect a thyroid problem and on top of a list of other things, cold feet is one for me. I wear thick socks all the time and sometimes I will take them off to get in the shower or whatever and my big toe will actually have a bluish tint to it because they are so cold! Does this mean bad circulation or does it actually link to the thyroid in some way?

Old 01-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #10
    ldolson

ldolson HB User

Yes the thyroid can affect the temp of you hands and feet. But so can many other things.... one of them being a mitral valve prolapse (heart murmur). I have so many symptoms of hypo, but alot of them can be attributed to other things I am suffering from. Oh well.... hopefully the endo can tell me in March.

Denice

P.S. Not so sure I like the "new look" of these healthboards

Old 01-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #11
    rainbowdawn
    (female)

rainbowdawn HB User
    Re: Cold feet....Oh YEAH, me too!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peeps
    Hi RainbowDawn,

Do your feet get so cold that they actually HURT? Mine do; it is painful. It seems like even when my feet may not feel real cold to the touch, they still feel icy cold to me and painful.

Have you ever seen 'down booties?' I have a pair of them that my hubby bought me YEARS ago for when we went camping. They are great! They are made by The North Face. I don't even know if the company still exists. I did not put them on soon enough today, so now it is going to take time to thaw out my feet in them. The ones I have are also nice because they have a very thick comfy sole, which is nice for walking on and to better insulate your feet from the ground. My feet will actually get too warm in them after awhile of wearing them if I am moving about.

Stay warm, somehow!!

Best Wishes,
    Sue

Hi , Boy is it a cold one this morning! 22 below here and I bet colder where you are(I am in the Southeast Metro). I hear you on the painful feet, usually the toes. I don't understand why! I have never heard of the "down booties". Thanks for your reply. Keep warm!
    Hi

Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #12
    lovemythreeguys2002
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

I don't live in a cold area and my feet are ICE cold, and my thyroid levels are ideal..sigh

also, when I am on the computer, my left hand rests in my lap or between my knees and stays warm, but my right hand that I use with the mouse will be like ICE

Closed Thread