It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 15 year old with TSH 4.8

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
    ajm4482

ajm4482 HB User
    Question 15 year old with TSH 4.8

My daughter was just tested for TSH. It came back 4.8 (0.5-5.0). She has the following symptoms: dry skin, hair thinning, exhaustion, moodiness, heavy menstruation, inability to lose weight, slightly enlarged thyroid.

For her upcoming appt. I need to know if there are articles from respected Medical Journals/Professionals that show the lab ranges are not reliable.

Also, do you think Armour is appropriate for her age?

I know I should ask for testing of free T4 and T3 but I don't know how to explain why.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #2
    opalfire
    (female)

opalfire HB User
    Re: 15 year old with TSH 4.8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajm
    My daughter was just tested for TSH. It came back 4.8 (0.5-5.0). She has the following symptoms: dry skin, hair thinning, exhaustion, moodiness, heavy menstruation, inability to lose weight, slightly enlarged thyroid.

For her upcoming appt. I need to know if there are articles from respected Medical Journals/Professionals that show the lab ranges are not reliable.

Also, do you think Armour is appropriate for her age?

I know I should ask for testing of free T4 and T3 but I don't know how to explain why.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Hi!
    I sure wish they had all the information they have now about hypo. I suffered all my life, until my late 40's...and then still not treated correctly for me...had brain fog, heavy periods....and so on....and all the while made to feel as though it was all my fault that I was a slacker (with an IQ of 130).
    Your right to ask for Free T3 and Free T4, along with a TSH. FT3 and FT4 results ideally should be in the UPPER ranges of NORMAL. These are the most accurate markers. The TSH really doesn't have to be repeated because it only shows if you're hypo or hyper. The other two are the only really accurate markers to check while medication is being adjusted. Often doctors want to just put you (your daughter) on Synthroid (Levothyroxine) which is only T4. However, if she has conversion problems, this won't help since the supplemented T4 will not be converted to T3 so that the body can use it. Armour thyroid would be the correct medication then, and sometimes even that needs to be supplemented with Cytomel (T3). But that's another story.
    If your doctor refuses to do any further testing, saying that TSH is sufficient, I would refuse to allow him to treat your daughter since it's not going to indicate what direction he should take with the T3 and T4. In that case, I believe that another doctor, or possibly an endocringologist, would better serve this diagnosis.
    Read as much as possible of these postings at the beginning of the sticky notes. They hold a wealth of information, perhaps confusing at first. Ask lots of questions....and good luck!
    Oh, yes......I forgot to mention....the new TSH value is BELOW 2.0
    Keep us posted!!

Old 01-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Here is information about the revised TSH norms from the American Assn of Clinical Endocrinologists ~ [url="http://www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/press.php"]http://www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/press.php[/url]

When talking about thyroid hormone supplements, it must be remembered that they are not chemical "drugs" of the same type as BP meds or cholesterol reducers. They are identical to the hormones that the body would manufacture on its own if it could. Therefore, any of them should be safe for anyone with hypoT. You sound informed though, so you probably are aware that not many doctors like to prescribe Armour.

The "free" Ts are most important to measure because they are the ones that are not bound up by protein. The "total" T tests measure both bound and unbound Ts; bound hormones aren't readily usable by the cells, so it's irrelevant to measure them.

Hope that helped, and that your daughter feels better soon.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-30-2004 at 01:11 PM.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
    CrystalSpirit

CrystalSpirit HB User

AJM, I am so sorry your daughter has this disease, and I hope that she finds good treatment soon and that everything will be okay.

It seems that there are many doctors, and many opinions about what is the best TSH level, whether or not symptoms should matter, etc. I don't know which doctors are right and which ones are wrong.

If it were my daughter, I think that I would want to find a doctor who considered symptoms (how the patient feels) to be a better indicator of proper dosage and course of action than the lab values.

I wish you and your daughter good luck and good health.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
    mezzaluna
    Inactive

mezzaluna HB User

i had similar symptoms at a similar age, although i wasn't diagnosed until i was 21. i have hashimoto's, and my endocrinologist has actually been keeping my TSH below the reference range in order to get my Free T4 and Free T3 in the reference ranges. my TSH is 0.02 (as of 7/03 - just got retested today) and I don't feel one bit hyper.

It can't hurt to ask if you can get a more extensive thyroid panel of tests for her. My doctor today, who sounds perfectly mainstream, was saying that doctors are discovering that TSH is only part of the picture. And like I said, my endo tracked TSH, FT4, FT3 and also anti-thyroglobulin and anti-TPO. I also have an annual ultrasound of my thyroid, and had a biopsy initially to rule out cancer.

good luck getting her the treatment she needs!
    -rosemary

Old 01-30-2004, 11:46 PM   #6
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Talking Re: 15 year old with TSH 4.8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by opalfirejucika

Oh, yes......I forgot to mention....the new TSH value is BELOW 2.0
    Keep us posted!!
    whoo-HOO! where did you get that -- i'd like to tell my GP ...

oh that's just great news ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
    CrystalSpirit

CrystalSpirit HB User

Please, if you can, if it's allowed, can you post a snippet where it says or a link if it's allowed, about the 2.00? Because in my heart, with my own symtpoms etc. I think that doctors really ought to be looking more closely at TSH's over 2.00 and considering if they might be somewhat hypothyroid.

I would love to have something "official" somewhere that kind of says, hey, if it's over 2.00 and the patient has symptoms of hypo, go ahead and try treatment...

Thank you,
    CS

Old 02-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
    ajm4482

ajm4482 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: 15 year old with TSH 4.8

Thank you so much for all of the replies. I have printed out information that I think will be very useful at my daughter's appointment.

I have an appointment a week later. Last year I tested my TSH through a home test and it was 2.48. I have even worse symptoms than my daughter has. Between the two of us I think the health care professionals at our Dr's office are going to get a needed refresher course and update on hypothyroidism.

Again, thank you!

Ajm

Old 02-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Talking Re: 15 year old with TSH 4.8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajm
    Thank you so much for all of the replies. I have printed out information that I think will be very useful at my daughter's appointment.

I have an appointment a week later. Last year I tested my TSH through a home test and it was 2.48. I have even worse symptoms than my daughter has. Between the two of us I think the health care professionals at our Dr's office are going to get a needed refresher course and update on hypothyroidism.

Again, thank you!

Ajm
    wow, symptoms at 2.48 ... and i thought i was fortunate to be DX'd at 3.9 ...

i'll print out these pages too, and take them into my clinic ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread