It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• question regarding nicotine patch

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
    foxtrot

foxtrot HB User
    Unhappy question regarding nicotine patch

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted alot lately, however I am reading all of your posts daily. I hope everyone is doing ok. I am considering quiting smoking and was wondering if it is ok to use a nicotine patch while on .75 syntroid.?

On a totally diffenerent note. I am generaly pretty postive but tonight I must say that I am pretty bitter about this thyroid thing. I was undiagnosed for 5 years with servere dizziness, lightheadedness and exhuastion. I had three kids 3 and under during this time. They are now 7,5 and 4. Everytime I look at them today I feel guilty and sorry that I didn't acknowledge them as beautiful babies. I was so spacey and fatigued that it was all I could do to just feed them. They are wonderful kids and I am just really starting to enjoy them. I just wish this thyroid thing didn't rob me of their babyhood.

I really don't know why I am feeling so down. I MUST BE HORMONAL.

Anyway thinks for listening to me vent. You guys are the only ones that I can talk to that can even pretend to know how I feel.

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Re: question regarding nicotine patch

Hi Foxtrot--

I'm sorry you are feeling so down lately, I think tho that's a pretty common feeling for a lot of us. It's a shame and so sad that this disease interferes with things like being a mom, having a job, taking a trip somewhere, but it's not your fault, whatsoever if you were having trouble being a mom!! (You're probably a great mom!!) My children are grown up now, and now that they are out of the house and we're done paying for college and all, we thought we could start enjoying some trips and such now that it's just the two of us. Yeah right! I'm so tired most of the time, I turn down my poor hubby when he invites me to dinner out or a movie. I feel sorry for him because I know I haven't been much fun to live with the past couple years. But I do have hope and I do expect to recover, and you will too. We just have to be patient and work on getting well and it will eventually happen. Like they say in the NBA, You gotta believe..

As for the quitting smoking Foxtrot, that's wonderful!! I just quit 4 months ago, after a pack a day habit for many years. Don't worry about using the patch in conjuction w/ thyroid meds, it won't hurt you. (You're already getting nicotene from your cigs, and chances are it will be even less with the patch, than you're getting now) I'm still on nicotene replacement. I probably should've weaned off by now, but with the stress I'm going through with my thyroid problem, I'm afraid to wean from my NRT, for fear I'd go back to smoking. So, I'll do it later, but there's really no rush. Another thing, you might want to mention it to your Dr., as my doc told me that a lot of times when people quit smoking, they might need to decrease their thyroid meds. She said that when we smoke it inhibits thyroid production and we might produce more thyroid hormone after the quit. So, good luck with your quit, and please don't beat up on yourself anymore. Your babies know you love them.

DEDA

Old 01-31-2004, 04:39 AM   #3
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User
    Re: question regarding nicotine patch

Congratulations Foxtrot on making the decision to quit smoking. I smoked for over 25 years, the quit as they say cold turkey, back in 1989 and NEVER looked back. (of course I became hypo in 1996 (diagnosed then) but imagine it would have been far far worse had I still been smoking.

my DD used the patch and now has been 'smoke free' for going on 2 years. When DH and I quit, the 'patch' was a prescription medication, and too costly for us, but which ever way works will work.

I am glad to read here, that the patch will have no interactions with your meds...that is GREAT CONTINUED GOOD LUCK!!

BonBe

Closed Thread