It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
    natty11

natty11 HB User
    please help

i am 19 years old, i just got test results back that says i have hypothyroidism... along with a list of things that may happen to me. I dont know anything about this disease, but it says i will be on pills for the rest of my life. is this serious?? and as the paper says, am i going to gain weight, have gray hair at a young age, have a horse deep voice??? does this happen even though you take the medicine?? please help me, im so upset.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
    natty11

natty11 HB User
    Re: please help

am i going to gain weight, guarenteed? someone please respond

Old 02-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
    Ibis

Ibis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by natty11
    am i going to gain weight, guarenteed? someone please respond

Hi there, I have been on Armour thyriod for almost 30 years. I am 5'6 and weigh 125. Please read some of the recommended books to educate yourself. There are several different meds, I think Armour is the most natural and best. You need to track your labs carefully to be sure you are getting enough and the right meds for you. everyone is different.

Do not eat any soy, it blocks the meds.
    Mary Shomon is an advocate. She has a web site and a weekly newsletter you might want to check out. Also keep on this board for help. I think at the top of this board ******** has posted a lot of information, take a look.
    I am doing fine as long as I take my meds and take care of my self.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User

Natty,
    I have a 19 year old son with Hashis/Hypo and he has been on meds for 3 1/2 years. He is almost 5 ft 9 and weighs only 115 lbs. This is the same for his twin brother who doesn't have it. Weight gain does not always apply to all.
    I know it isn't fun to have to take medication for the rest of your life, but it is better than the alternative. Take care.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Read read read read all you can about your condition, the more you know the better off you will be. Check out the posts at the top of the posting page, the "Informative Archives" is a very interesting set of posts and you will learn a lot from it.

Visit these boards often and feel free to ask any questions you may have, also feel free to vent if you are having a rough day, we are all here for advice and support.

It is NOT guaranteed that you will gain weight, as others have said they are hypo and thin, I am 5'6" and weigh about 120, so don't worry too much about it as long as you get on meds and get your numbers at the right place.

Hair turning gray does not happen to everyone either, some do some don't, those are just some of the things that can happen but it doesn't mean it will happen to you.

The hoarse deep voice tends to happen if you are untreated or undertreated.

Be sure that your dr checks your Free T3, Free T4 and TSH and doesn't treat you only on TSH, the free numbers are the active hormones and are a much more accurate measurement of how your thyroid is actually functioning, the TSH at times can be useless and not tell much, so it is very important that you have a dr that will check your free numbers.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing with your treatment and what meds the dr puts you on, also take 100mcg selenium, it is important for thyroid health and helps your body convert the T4 to T3.

Good luck and welcome to the boards, you will find many friends here that know exactally what you are going through.

Old 02-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
    Teph

Teph HB User

I have had Whgt gain but after being on the Levoxyl and getting to the proper dsg (75mg at the moment) seems to be helping. After getting straightened out u will be ok. Stay away from Sugars and candy and soda's and other foods as soy and eat a little more heather. It can help. I am sure your scared your young and afraid. Read up on what you have and dont be afraid to ask questions.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:50 AM   #7
    natty11

natty11 HB User

after calling my doctor and talking to my family the only thing taht really makes me feel better are these boards, so thanks for that!! My mother says its in my head but i feel like im gaining weight. I really just want to get into the doctor and ask questions but its taking forever. I have another question because im hearing 2 sides of this. So, when you start medication for hypo, is that what makes you gain the weight? the medication iteself? Or does it help regulate everything... im so confused. and no one seems to know what they are talking about.. thanks a lot for your help.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
    natty11

natty11 HB User

i dont know if this means anything but my TSH level is .27. does it make a difference how low it is ?

Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 AM   #9
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    i dont know if this means anything but my TSH level is .27. does it make a difference how low it is ?
    A lot of times where the TSH is doesn't tell a lot, the free numbers are the ones that tell the most about thyroid function. I have Hashi's (hypo) my TSH is .01, it looks hyper, but my free numbers are not hyper, therefore I am not hyper.

As for weight gain and meds, sometimes people gain when they first start meds, others will loose right away, it really depends on ones body and sometimes the brand of meds. As the thyroid gets regulated, some may gain at first, but as the numbers get more in line to where they should be, (and this may take a while) the weight should start to come off, a lot will depend also on family background and history with weight loss, if you have always had a weight problem chances are it will be a bit harder to loose, also a lot will depend on diet, a lot of people find that following a hypoglycemic type diet, in other words, cutting out sugar, refined flours and eating more whole grains, vegetables and staying away from processed foods not only helps in weight loss, but also in how one feels.
    As for the brand of meds, some people may have a reaction to the binders and fillers in some meds and they will gain weight, loose more hair, etc. Example, I had a friend who was on Synthroid, she gained more weight, lost more hair, she switched to Levoxyl and lost weight and quit loosing hair, I also know another person on Synthroid who said their hair got thicker, so it really depends on your body and how it reacts to the med you are on.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #10
    natty11

natty11 HB User

wow thanks for all the info!! it really helped out a lot. I had bloodwork done last week at my gyno appt and then i got this letter saying my tsh level was low and then this whole lists of symtoms that really freaked me out. i wasnt expecting this at all, i was just getting a normal check up. So naturally i had a lot of questions because when i looked up hypo on the internet, all i got was stories about people gaining 20-80 pounds. i really dont want that. So i have an appointment on friday to look into this problem closer. thanks for listening, and your help!

Old 02-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #11
    natty11

natty11 HB User

so does anyone have any recommendations for medication?

Old 02-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #12
    genners

genners HB User

Hello!

I got this off of the Internet for your review:

What is hypothyroidism?

Hypothyroidism develops when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone, which regulates the way the body uses energy. A lack of thyroid hormone affects many body systems. The incidence of hypothyroidism tends to increase with age, with older women at highest risk.

What causes hypothyroidism?

The most common cause of hypothyroidism in the United States is Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Hashimoto's thyroiditis develops when the immune system produces antibodies that destroy thyroid tissue and thus reduce the thyroid's ability to produce thyroid hormone. Other causes of hypothyroidism include the surgical removal of the thyroid gland and radioactive iodine therapy.

Less common causes of hypothyroidism include viral and bacterial infections of the thyroid gland, disorders of the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus, inadequate iodine or excessive iodine in the diet (rarely seen in Western countries), some medications, and congenital hypothyroidism (present from birth).

What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

The symptoms of hypothyroidism are seen throughout the body. In adults, they usually develop slowly and are often considered part of the aging process. Symptoms in adults may include:

Coarse and thinning hair.
    Dry skin.
    Slow body movements.
    Inability to tolerate cold temperatures.
    Feeling tired, sluggish, or weak.
    Memory problems, depression, or difficulty concentrating.
    Brittle nails, or a yellowish tint to the skin.
    Constipation.
    Heavy or irregular menstrual periods that may last longer than 5 to 7 days.
    Other, less common symptoms may include a goiter, modest weight gain, hoarseness, muscle aches and cramps, facial puffiness, and swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet.

What happens if I have hypothyroidism?

The progression of hypothyroidism depends on its cause and your age. Hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis occasionally will disappear on its own. More often, you will experience a gradual loss of thyroid function, although the symptoms may develop slowly and be so mild that they go unnoticed for years. The older you are, the more you will probably notice the symptoms.

Although rare, hypothyroidism is seen in infants and children. In infants, if hypothyroidism is treated within the first month of life, the child grows and develops normally. Untreated hypothyroidism in infants can cause brain damage, leading to mental retardation and developmental delays. Every state in the United States tests newborns for hypothyroidism.

If hypothyroidism develops after age 3, mental retardation usually does not occur. However, untreated childhood hypothyroidism usually delays a child's physical growth and sexual development, including the onset of puberty.

Teens with hypothyroidism typically look much younger than their age. With adequate treatment, the teen's height and weight will catch up to those of healthy teens of the same age.

How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?

A medical history and physical exam are the first steps in diagnosing hypothyroidism. If your health professional suspects hypothyroidism, blood tests that measure thyroid hormone are done to confirm the diagnosis. If you have no or mild symptoms of hypothyroidism, and blood tests show slightly abnormal levels of thyroid hormone, you may have subclinical (mild) hypothyroidism.

Can I prevent hypothyroidism?

No, hypothyroidism cannot be prevented, but you can watch for signs of the disease so it can be treated promptly. The American Thyroid Association recommends that all adults be tested beginning at age 35 and continuing every 5 years thereafter. Older adults, especially women older than 50, those with a strong family history of hypothyroidism, and those with Addison's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, pernicious anemia, and type 1 diabetes should also be tested.

How is hypothyroidism treated?

Hypothyroidism is treated with synthetic thyroid hormone medication. Symptoms of hypothyroidism usually disappear within a few months after treatment begins. Most people who develop hypothyroidism need treatment for the rest of their lives.1

If hypothyroidism is not treated, severe hypothyroidism may cause swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet (myxedema). Severe hypothyroidism may also increase the risk of developing coronary artery disease and, in rare cases, become life-threatening (myxedema coma).

What if I'm pregnant?

During pregnancy, a woman needs extra thyroid hormone and may develop hypothyroidism. After delivery, women may develop a thyroid disorder called postpartum thyroiditis.

If you have hypothyroidism, it may get worse during your pregnancy. If left untreated, pregnant women with hypothyroidism can develop high blood pressure (preeclampsia) and have premature labor. An infant born to a woman with untreated hypothyroidism is at increased risk of having hypothyroidism at birth; however, the infant's thyroid gland usually compensates shortly after birth.

Best of luck...

Genners

Quote:
    i am 19 years old, i just got test results back that says i have hypothyroidism... along with a list of things that may happen to me. I dont know anything about this disease, but it says i will be on pills for the rest of my life. is this serious?? and as the paper says, am i going to gain weight, have gray hair at a young age, have a horse deep voice??? does this happen even though you take the medicine?? please help me, im so upset.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #13
    Ibis

Ibis HB User

Quote:
    so does anyone have any recommendations for medication?
    Natty, have a complete thyriod panel done. Ask for a copy of the results. You can post them here and there are some people here who can help you understand the results.
    I have no thyroid function, have not for 30 years, I am on Armour and won't change. Everyone is different. but I think the natural supplement is the best.
    Good luck!

Old 02-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #14
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Natty,

I know what you mean, you go in for a general checkup or for something seemingly unrelated to thyroid (or so you think) and wham you get blindsided and find you have a thyroid problem. I went to my dr because I had trouble breathing, he sent me to an endo because I am also hypoglycemic and was also having trouble with that and he was worried about my blood sugar levels, I went to one endo who just told me to gain weight and eat more, I went to another who checked further into my thyroid and found I have Hashi's, my TSH at that point was 4.75 which my reg doc saw no problem with and the first endo didn't either, the second one immediately sent me for more tests.
    One thing I did find out was that the breathing problem and a lot of the blood sugar problems dissapated after starting on thyroid meds, so a lot of it was thyroid related.

Learn all you can about the condition, its the best thing you can do for yourself, drs are so busy that they will overlook things and some reg drs do not even know how to read thyroid test results.

Good luck

Last edited by dea4; 02-17-2004 at 01:12 PM.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #15
    bodybuildergirl

bodybuildergirl HB User
    Cool Re: please help

HI
    Don't do what I did and freak yourself out by researching too much on the internet.
    Everyone is different and you can make your self crazy by believing that ALL of the symptoms are going to happen to you.
    I know that it is scary but you are in control of your disorder and take it one day at a time. Keep your head up and be thankful that you are still here and not in a hospital bed somewhere. You will be fine, you are young and sound very intelligent. Find someone that is in your area that has a thyroid disorder
    and talk to them face to face, it helps me!!!!! We are here for you too!!
    take care sista!!!
    Jodi

Closed Thread