It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid and eyes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2004, 02:15 AM   #1
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User
    Red face thyroid and eyes

Can the thyroid effect the eyes and if so how?
    Can you go blind? Reason why I ask I was reading a persons post on here about thyroid disease eyes and to be honest it freaked me out. B/c here I sit with a Tsh level of 6.90 just had a repeat of labs to make sure there was no mistake. Now Im worried Im going to go blind...YIKES
    I always thought if your were hypo you just gained weight and stayed cold.
    Now Im really confused...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2004, 02:27 AM   #2
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User
    Re: thyroid and eyes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by likeme28
    Can you go blind? Reason why I ask I was reading a persons post on here about thyroid disease eyes and to be honest it freaked me out. B/c here I sit with a Tsh level of 6.90 just had a repeat of labs to make sure there was no mistake. Now Im worried Im going to go blind...YIKES
    I would like to add one more thing can you have an under active thyroid without it being an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease.....

Old 02-16-2004, 03:59 AM   #3
    pickapro1999
    (female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:

Hi, It's me the one with thyroid eye disease. Usually the eye disease is with Graves disease (hyperthyroid not hypo). I happen to be that one in thousands or more that just got the eye disease with no thyroid problems at first. It can happen to anyone but not very common. Now I have a hypo problem. Don't worry, it is OK. I was so unusual that they took pictures and did seminars on my case because I had no thyroid involvement other than the protien that attacks the eyes plus I went through it so fast. From onset to surgery it was only a few months instead of years 3-5. I am very sensitive to meds and it was a combination of drugs that pushed me into the eye disease but of course no doctor will admit it but I know I did my research. I would have gotten a thyroid disease anyway my odds where 50-50 because my dad had thyroid disease that was not treated. Yes, thyroid disease is an autoimmune problem because your body is working against itself. As far as Hishi & hypo I am confused about that too. From what I have read on the boards it seems it is different but my endo doesn't seem to differenciate.

Hope this makes you feel better I didn't mean to scare you or anyone
    I was just giving some background into my experience. SORRY I never ment to upset anyone with what happened and is happening to me.

Post back and let me know if this has made you feel any better

Old 02-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pickapro1999

Hi, It's me the one with thyroid eye disease. Usually the eye disease is with Graves disease (hyperthyroid not hypo). I happen to be that one in thousands or more that just got the eye disease with no thyroid problems at first. It can happen to anyone but not very common. Now I have a hypo problem. Don't worry, it is OK. I was so unusual that they took pictures and did seminars on my case because I had no thyroid involvement other than the protien that attacks the eyes plus I went through it so fast. From onset to surgery it was only a few months instead of years 3-5. I am very sensitive to meds and it was a combination of drugs that pushed me into the eye disease but of course no doctor will admit it but I know I did my research. I would have gotten a thyroid disease anyway my odds where 50-50 because my dad had thyroid disease that was not treated. Yes, thyroid disease is an autoimmune problem because your body is working against itself. As far as Hishi & hypo I am confused about that too. From what I have read on the boards it seems it is different but my endo doesn't seem to differenciate.

Hope this makes you feel better I didn't mean to scare you or anyone
    I was just giving some background into my experience. SORRY I never ment to upset anyone with what happened and is happening to me.

Post back and let me know if this has made you feel any better
    Yes , I feel much better..Thank you so much Im really sorry for freaking out..Its just right now im just so frustrated about my thyroid condition.
    I had my lab work done a week and a half ago and I havent heard nothing from my Dr. I have called them twice already and both times they said we will call you back. I bet if it was them going through this they would be handling it alot differently... Well I hope you are feeing better....TakeCare

Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
    opalfire
    (female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
    Yes , I feel much better..Thank you so much Im really sorry for freaking out..Its just right now im just so frustrated about my thyroid condition.
    I had my lab work done a week and a half ago and I havent heard nothing from my Dr. I have called them twice already and both times they said we will call you back. I bet if it was them going through this they would be handling it alot differently... Well I hope you are feeing better....TakeCare
    Hi! I'm willing to bet that you have trouble getting anything out of your doctor, not just lab results!
    I hate to say it, but it's time to move on and find a doctor more sympathetic to your problems.
    A little hint: When you get your lab work done, insist that you have a TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 done. None of the other tests mean beans to you. When you do get them, don't be put off by the doctor saying that you're perfectly normal. The TSH range now is less than 2 to be "normal". However, that doesn't mean anything if you don't feel good. Your Free T3 and Free T4 should also be in the upper normal ranges before you're considered to be "normal". I know this gives you a lot to think about, but it depends on how bad you feel on whether you follow this up.
    Good luck!

Closed Thread