It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Does anyone else have high cholesterol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2004, 07:20 AM   #1
    yock
    (female)

yock HB User
    Does anyone else have high cholesterol?

Hi everyone. I'm going in for more bloodwork tomorrow. My last tests in mid-January were not good. In addition to 7.95 TSH, my cholesterol was HORRID -Total 266, LDL 192 (yikes!!) HDL 54, Trigly 101. I was originally scheduled for more tests in May but have decided not to wait. Since having my meds upped from 1/2 grain Armour to 1 grain Armour in mid Jan, I still am not feeling very well, and am really concerned about my cholesterol. Ok, I confess, I didn't fast before my last tests and know I should have since I was having a lipid profile done. But my Lipids last January (when I did fast) were still not that great -Total was 245 with LDLs at 174 (I had not been diagnosed with Hashi's yet). So my question is, do any of you who are hypo, or Hashi's, also have high cholesterol??? What is your lifestyle like? Do you smoke?, do you drink?, what is your diet like? Do you excersize? And once, your thyroid meds were in order, did your LDL's go down? I excersize 5 days a week, drink wine or beer on weekends, and smoke 1 pack of cigarettes a week. I have a very healthy diet. I'm wondering if this high LDL is all hypo related, or do I have to become a saint in my lifestyle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    Re: Does anyone else have high cholesterol?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yock
    Hi everyone. I'm going in for more bloodwork tomorrow. My last tests in mid-January were not good. In addition to 7.95 TSH, my cholesterol was HORRID -Total 266, LDL 192 (yikes!!) HDL 54, Trigly 101. I was originally scheduled for more tests in May but have decided not to wait. Since having my meds upped from 1/2 grain Armour to 1 grain Armour in mid Jan, I still am not feeling very well, and am really concerned about my cholesterol. Ok, I confess, I didn't fast before my last tests and know I should have since I was having a lipid profile done. But my Lipids last January (when I did fast) were still not that great -Total was 245 with LDLs at 174 (I had not been diagnosed with Hashi's yet). So my question is, do any of you who are hypo, or Hashi's, also have high cholesterol??? What is your lifestyle like? Do you smoke?, do you drink?, what is your diet like? Do you excersize? And once, your thyroid meds were in order, did your LDL's go down? I excersize 5 days a week, drink wine or beer on weekends, and smoke 1 pack of cigarettes a week. I have a very healthy diet. I'm wondering if this high LDL is all hypo related, or do I have to become a saint in my lifestyle?

Not fasting prior to your cholesterol test...HELLO!!!! That is why the numbers are so high. I would be sure to get a new test done and then worry about it.
    To answer your question high cholesterol can be secondary due to hypothyroidism. Once the thyroid is treated properly if that was your cause of high cholesterol then it should reduce. Also your diet will play an important role.

What is an example of your diet...you may think it is healthy and it may not be. I thought I ate healthy in the past only to find out that I ate way too many bad carbs!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

High LDL usually goes hand-in-hand with hypo. It is one of the main symptoms that helped me diagnose myself.

I pretty much eat what I want, and luckily what I want is mostly healthy stuff. Lots of vegetables and fruit, some meat, chicken, and pasta. My downfalls are good bread and candy, but I now eat far less of these than I did up until 1 1/2 years ago. I have never smoked, but smoking is a huge risk factor. (The reason I know is because DH had two heart attacks and quintuple bypass surgery almost 6 years ago, and at each and every checkup, the very first question the doctors ask is "Are you still a nonsmoker?" The cardio doc told him that is the most important lifestyle change to protect the artery grafts.) A study was just released that says smokers who reduce their intake instead of quitting reap little benefit from the reduction. There is no amount of smoking that is considered safe.
    I was considered sedentary until making the changes in my diet before diagnosis; and I'm pretty sedentary during hypo flare-ups. I drink only occasionally, probably once a month wine or beer with dinner.

My very first cholesterol panel before hypoT diagnosis, was total 236, LDL 147, HDL 62, trigs 135. Wanting to reduce the total naturally without statins, I began daily exercise and gave up candy. Nearly seven months later - even after doubling the exercise and further cutting sugars and fats - there was no significant change in the bad cholesterol, and I had lost only 4 pounds. That's when I figured out these were the among the most prominent symptoms of hypoT.

High LDL is not always "all" hypo related, of course. But if hypo is the main cause of it, the level will not come down without proper thyroid treatment. My current angel of a doctor says that given my lifestyle, the LDL will come down when I reach my optimal dose Armour. I haven't as yet been retested, but I'm confident that what he says is true.
    So to answer you in short, I'm not a "saint" either; but I'm not worrying about cholesterol until my thyroid hormone is properly replaced.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
    yock
    (female)

yock HB User

Ok, here's a typical day of my eating habits. In the a.m. I take my Armour. When I get to work at 7:30 I have a cup of decaff coffee and a granola bar. For lunch at 11:30 I usually have a can of vegetables - today I'm having zucchini in tomato sauce (0mg of Chol - 6 gr carbs) When I get home at 5pm I eat my normal dinner. Last night it was filet mignon on the grill, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and two 1/2 slices of canned peaches. I also drink about 60 oz. water per day. I've never been a big eater, so this is completely filling for me. Tonight, I'm having roast chicken without the skin. I think my eating habits are pretty good, and really don't think they are contributing at all to my high LDLs. I just wondered if having Hashi's and not being correctly medicated could have that high of an impact on LDLs. My last test was at 5pm, and yeah, I ate a can of zucchini at 1130 that day. I find it hard to believe my cholesterol could spike that much from eating a 0mg chol meal 4 1/2 hrs before, but hey I've been wrong before, and maybe it did make that much a difference. I do know that I still don't feel great, my chest pains, while they went away for a few weeks, are now back in full force. I'm scared beyond belief, as well as being scared about this high LDL thing. I just want to feel better. By the way, I've also lost 15 lbs in the last 3 months, and now have only about 15 to go before I'm at a very healthy weight.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

We have to fast a full 14 hours prior to blood labs. Cholesterol etc. My count is high, and if I would accept it it was high enuff to warrant the medications which I do not wish (my DH is on cholesterol meds after unsuccessfully following the strict dietary regime I put him on (under doctors care of course) went for several tests, only fooling himself by being 'good' two weeks prior to labs.....soon he stopped and accepted he is only kidding himself.

So no I did wish to join that club....so try to do basically what others say to do, in the dietary factor, not as good as girlygirly though, but I cut out loads of stuff and just decided to live long and maybe one day prosper??? hahah Ya I am a star trek fan good old Mr. Spock!

Old 03-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

In my case, I am the poster-child for secondary cholesterol.

I have always been a health nut, prior to diagnosis, even before It was popular. For the last 30 years, I had been eating heathfully. I rarely ate much simple carbs or processed food. Didn't smoke, drank rarely. My typical meal would be steamed vegatables, with nothing on them, plus a little whole grain pasta (plain) or whole grain bread. I read the label of everything I ate, kept the fat down, and favored monosaturates, took good quality vitamins, bla bla bla.

I mountain biked regularly, scuba dived, boating, private pilot, bla bla bla.

In the 1980's, I remember my Doc saying I had the best cholesterol numbers he had ever seen. In 1997, a treadmill stress test with all the head-gear and tubes, came out as excellent fitness level for age. Pluminary function as 120% of age normal.

Ok, get the picture?

Then, when I started to slowly go hypothyroid, my cholesterol levels went to HDL 41, LDL 132, Trig 221.

Of course, this can be factors other than thyroid, but that is the suspected culprit. My Doc feels that we should get the thyroid straightened out first, and then address what's left of these symptoms that are uspected secondary to thyroid. I just don't need any additional side effects to deal with at this point.

But of course, I am running a risk every day until then. This is just one of the reasons my Doc believes undertreated hypothyroidism is more dangerous than over treaded. I did have cardiac image done recently that showed no plaque buildup.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
    Ladywolfe
    Veteran
    (female)

Ladywolfe HB User

[QUOTE=Divermon]In my case, I am the poster-child for secondary cholesterol.

Hi guys

Let me jump on this cholesterol bandwagon.

During the past year, I have had my cholesterol checked...I think - about 4 times (could be 5).
    I always fasted before getting it taken, not even drinking water (had the test done at 8:00 a.m., stopped everything around 10:00 the prior evening).

My numbers have always been high - and not 'good' high, either. I thought, once I had my thyroid removed (hashimoto's), that I might see some relief with those freakin high numbers.

Except for chocolate once a month, I eat very, very healthy. I drink mostly only water. When I do drink a soda or tea, it's decaf. I cut out a lot of the 'bad carbs' and processed foods.

For 3 months (oct-dec) I was a fanatic at my gym. After surgery in dec - I went back at it full steam in jan.

My latest panels were drawn 2/4/04.
    They were:
    cholesterol: 213
    HDL : 34
    LDL: 136
    Trigylcerides: 216

My doctor didn't seem concerned about this, other than to say "you need to add more fiber to your diet, we'll check you again in a couple of months."

I have an appt with him today...I'm going to ask him about these numbers again, and why he doesn't seem too concerned with them.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    I just wondered if having Hashi's and not being correctly medicated could have that high of an impact on LDLs.
    In a word - absolutely.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #9
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

HDL : 34 / LDL: 136 / Trigylcerides: 216

I can tell you when I read up on this I found two things that might help you.

1. Vigurous exersize can raise trigylcerides.

2. Saturated fats raise LDL and lower HDL (not good!)
    Polysaturated fats lower LDL, but also lower HDL (not good!)
    Monosaturated fats lower LDL and raise HDL (great!)
    So substituting out saturated and polysat fats, in favor of monosat's could help you. Nuts, olive oil, cold water fish, etc. I think are good sources.

Closed Thread