It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 9.7 TSH and 1.6 FT4....hows it sound?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
    lovethecrue

lovethecrue HB User
    9.7 TSH and 1.6 FT4....hows it sound?

These were my numbers in 2001. They said the FT4 was in the normal range, so they said not to do anything about it.

Now my TSH is 17.5...don't know my FT4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User
    Re: 9.7 TSH and 1.6 FT4....hows it sound?

Even then the TSH was considered hypo. I would definitely find a new Doc and have new tests run. How do you feel?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: 9.7 TSH and 1.6 FT4....hows it sound?

Without the lab's reference range, it's hard to know if FT4 of 1.6 is a good level for you. Most labs' mid-range is about 1.3 or so... If your lab's is too, 1.6 sounds good to me to. BUT...

...Hashimoto's disease is the most common cause of hypothyroidism. It usually, but not always, first presents itself when symptoms arise. At that point, if the proper thyroid tests are done (TSH, FT4, FT3, and antiTPO and antiTg antibodies), the TSH will usually be in the top part of the "normal" range, and the FTs will be low/normal. At least 80% of the time, the antibodies will be above "normal". Enlightened doctors will begin treatment in the presence of antibodies and symptoms, without waiting for TSH to escalate above-range. The more current thinking is that the thyroid is in the process of failing due to the antibody assaults it's undergoing, and there is little reason to wait if treating will bring relief of symptoms. Waiting only exacerbates the damage that the hypo will eventually do, i.e. elevated cholesterol, osteoporosis, weight gain, and mental dysfunction.

I don't recall your mentioning any symptoms you have. You can find the list in our "Information Archive" thread at the top of the subject page. If you have them [and most untreated hypoT patients will have many, at least a dozen], you should have antibodies tests done ASAP. And then, you need to find an "enlightened" doctor.

Closed Thread