It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Does anyone suffer form reoccurring hives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
    christyb

christyb HB User
    Does anyone suffer form reoccurring hives

I have Hashi's ever since I was diagnosed I have gotten rashes hive like. Dr recently pur me on progesterone and the hives are getting worse. Have any of you experienced this. I also had one more question Dr. said weight can can also be attributed to lack of progesterone, but, I have heard it makes you gain weight if anyone could shed some light it would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 05:37 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Does anyone suffer form reoccurring hives

About one-fourth of all people who suffer chronic hives have autoimmune thyroid antibodies. That's not the same as saying a fourth of Hashi's patients have hives, but you can see the two conditions go together pretty often.

I don't know why your hives are worse after starting progesterone. It might just be coincidental... perhaps your thyroid ABs are on the rise now and causing the hives to be worse.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

Where are you getting your hive/rash? Is it a daily thing or does it flare up a few times a month?

I have not been officially diagnosed with TD but I do have many of the symptoms (my lab work came back normal). Since showing symptoms of TD, I too have been experiencing hives/rashes. I get my rashes mainly around my hip areas and my face. It is not a constant thing for me; maybe twice a month. For my hip I just use 1%hydrocortisone (steriod, I think that's how you spell it), usually that helps it disappear in a few days. For my face I use something with zinc oxide (diaper rash cream) and that seems to help...(never use the hydrocortisone on the face; it can cause skin damage and bring on conditions such as acne rosacea).

My hives are strange. I get them sometimes after the shower, going out in the cold air, and after I eat. There is nothing I can do for that... I'm am still looking into it...

I'm pretty new to this, but what is progesterone? a hormone such as testosterone? what is it for? how is it related to the thyroid?

thanks...

Old 03-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

Where are you getting your hive/rash? Is it a daily thing or does it flare up a few times a month?

I have not been officially diagnosed with TD but I do have many of the symptoms (my lab work came back normal). Since showing symptoms of TD, I too have been experiencing hives/rashes. I get my rashes mainly around my hip areas and my face. It is not a constant thing for me; maybe twice a month. For my hip I just use 1%hydrocortisone (steriod, I think that's how you spell it), usually that helps it disappear in a few days. For my face I use something with zinc oxide (diaper rash cream) and that seems to help...(never use the hydrocortisone on the face; it can cause skin damage and bring on conditions such as acne rosacea).

My hives are strange. My skin is constantly itchy now (even when there is no visible rash or hives) but my hives itch soooo bad!!! I get them sometimes after the shower, going out in the cold air, and after I eat. There is nothing I can do for that... I'm am still looking into it...

I'm pretty new to this, but what is progesterone? a hormone such as testosterone? what is it for? how is it related to the thyroid?

thanks...

Old 03-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
    Peeps

Peeps HB User
    I have cold urticaria

Hi Christy,

I have had cold urticaria over the years. I break out in severe hives from the cold. It is called a physical allergy. Not only cold can bring on the attacks but also pressure (like a blood pressure cuff), and exercise (since the body goes from being cool or normal to a raised body temperature). Usually, cold allergy will start to cause hives to break out when the skin begins to warm again, but can start before warming - mine did both.

It seems to be an allergy that not a lot of doctors know about. I had to do a lot of digging to try to find any info on it. I finally found some articles that said MANY cases of cold urticaria are hormone related. That was what I suspected with myself, as there was a direct correlation between me starting oral contraceptives many years ago (1986 for treatment of endometriosis) and then the cold allergy started when I stopped taking them 9 months later. I had never had this allergy previosly. Some articles I found specifically named oral contraceptives as one cause. When I went back on oral contraceptives for my endometriosis about 5 years ago, the allergy began to wain and I have been free of it while remaining on the Pill after about 10 years of struggling with the allergy while off oral contraceptives.

I found it interesting that you mentioned cold as being one of the triggers (also the same sort of trigger happening when one's cooler body is then warmed by the shower). I had that as well. It does not have to be really cold air to cause the hives. I would get them on damp cool summer days or if there was any kind of a cool breeze. Preparing veggies and fruits and meat by running under cold water would be miserable for me. You need to take caution if you were to go swimming in cool water, as this is a systemic reaction that can become serious. I had some scary encounters. You can imagine, with one's entire body submersed in cool water. I loved to swim in lakes, which in Northern MN are often quite cool, but it was dangerous. I did get an Rx for Zyrtec and would take that an hour before swimming and I managed to be able to swim for short periods of time then, but I was careful about not staying too long.

My doctor also prescribed an EpiPen for me, in case of a seroius reaction that became life threatening. One's throat can swell shut with a serious reaction. I had what is referred to as Giant Hives, they would cover areas of my skin, very large and they get hot and extremely itchy (as you noted - I feel for you - I understand what you are experiencing!).

I have just stopped the oral contraceptives about 10 days ago. When I turned 50 (still not in menopause) my gyn for my endometriosis wanted me to take a 2 month break from them at this time to see how I do. I have been on continuous dosing (which means taking only active pills every day and only rarely taking a 7 day break) to try to best control the endometriosis and pain caused by it. I hope I do not see a recurrence of hives along with increased endometriosis pain! Just starting Levoxl for hypothyroidism too, so some definite hormone changes going on in this bod at the moment! Probably not the best for me to have to do both at the same time, but I could not control the timing of it, unfortunately.

I hope this info helps some. Best wishes to you as you search for answers and try to control the hives. If cold is a main trigger, you may want to ask your doctor about an antihistamine when you know you are going to be in a sitaution that is sure to trigger them. I put up with them without using an antihistamine, except for when I knew it would really be a dangerous situation not to use one (like swimming or if I knew I had to be outside in the cold for any extended time). It was not safe for me, otherwise. Around the house, I just 'tolerated' them the best I could - not fun, I know!

Best Wishes,
    Sue

Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
    dndrux
    (female)

dndrux HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky77

My hives are strange. I get them sometimes after the shower, going out in the cold air, and after I eat. There is nothing I can do for that... I'm am still looking into it...

thanks...
    Hi
    What is TD? I have been dealing with hives for about 10 yrs, they vary in size, shape and places. hydrocortisone makes them worse but they come about 2 a month. Have you found out what is causing yours? I believe that mine is related to my cycle but drs dont believe me. They laugh at me and say it is impossible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
    annemv
    Veteran
    (female)

annemv HB User

td means thyroid disease

Old 02-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
    dndrux
    (female)

dndrux HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annemv
    td means thyroid disease
    Thanks!

Old 02-27-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
    MandyS

MandyS HB User

I have suffered from cold urticaria from 96 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the beginning of 2004. I am not sure it is related but it might be. Starting around the same time I got cold urticaria was weight gain, fatigue, depression, anxiety and so on. There is a possibility that I had hypothyrodism at that time as well. Although I can't say for sure.

I break out in hives when my skin gets cold. Even on warm days I'll break out from for example car ventilation or A/C. If the air is aimed on my arm my arm will break out in hives. Sitting om metal benches, then the back of my thighs and buttcheeks will break out. Right now my arms are breaking out from leaning on the metal keysboard drawer. It is weird and not a lot of people understand this problem. My doctor said that mainly children gets this disorder and will grow out of it. Its been many years and I am not sure it will go away any time soon. Now if it is thyroid related I would have expected it to go away while on Synthroid. It has not.

Closed Thread