It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Switching from synthetic to natural hormone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
    rlboone

rlboone HB User
    Question Switching from synthetic to natural hormone

I am new to your board. I am in Canada and have been hypo for about 3 yrs now. I am very sensitive to changes in my levels and have many symptoms from extreme muscle pains, headaches, mental fog, depression/anxiety to menstral problems. I went last week to dr and she told me it was depression and gave me Effexor (I took one and that was enough) But she also gave me cytomel and 175 mg of synthroid and I was feeling less depressed.

I really want to try the natural but don't know how to take it.

My dr. is willing to give me Armour (Thyroid in Canada). I went in yesterday and she gave me 1 1/2 grains (90 mg) which is par with 150 mg of synthroid. I was on 150 synthroid and had just upped it to 175 for the past week with 12.5 of cytomel.

My question is my dr knows nothing about the natural and I'm concerned that 90 mg is maybe to high a dose because of the T3. Should I split up the dose twice a day?

Are there any side effects to getting used to the Armour in the first little while?

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    Re: Switching from synthetic to natural hormone

I also take Armour and I did find that splitting the dose worked better for me. You can try it and see how it works for you. I know someone who takes it once in the am and she feels fine taking it that way. It depends on each individual. The best way is the way that works best for you.

You can go the Armour site to find the conversion chart to ensure it is the correct dosage.

As far as side effects I haven't had any. I felt soooooo much better on it almost immediately. I hope you will as well!

Old 03-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
    rlboone

rlboone HB User

Thanks,

I just feel a little light headed today. And I thought it was maybe too much T3 all at once.

Linda

Old 03-26-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The source I have for converting Synthroid to Armour says that 90 mgs (1 1/2 grains) of Armour is roughly equal to 57 mcg T4 + 13.5 mcg T3, and would replace 111-150 mcg of synthetic T4.
    If you were already taking 12.5 Cytomel, you can see you aren't getting much more T3 than that with Armour.
    Does that make sense?

Last edited by midwest1; 03-26-2004 at 12:47 PM.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
    rlboone

rlboone HB User

I do understand that but I was taking it 1/2 in the morning and half later in the afternoon. And because I'm feeling funny today since taking the Armour is just because I'm getting all the T3 in one fell swoop. Is it going to affect anything if I take the dose split up during the day?

Thanks,

LInda

Old 03-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh, now I see what you meant.
    Sure it's ok to split the dose... many people do. I don't though, because I don't get that "surge" of T3.

Closed Thread