It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I'm not crazy!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
    Darvi

Darvi HB User
    Unhappy I'm not crazy!!!

On 3/26/04 I had yet another sleepless night. I awoke @ 3 am went to the computer, then ***********, typed in thyroid disorders and healthboards popped up. Headed to thyroid disorders and read many threads from Tree Frog, midwest1, etc. The more I read, the more I began to cry. The feelings of hopelessness began to fade away. I felt assured that I am not crazy. After seeing many doctors with little to no results (other than the diagnosis of stress) I was beginning to think it was time to see a shrink. Below are the symptoms I continue to experience:
    1. Loss of sleep
    2. Hot flashes, ears turn red and hot
    3. Mild and occassional heartburn
    4. Weight Gain-mostly in the stomach area
    5. Loss of short-term memory, spacing out, inability to focus or concentrate
    6. Brusing easily
    7. intolerance to cold
    8. Hair loss (my husband says I shed more than the dogs), dry hair, and
    scraggly if I let it grow past my shoulders. I have naturally curly hair so
    the loss covers much.
    9. Dry patches of skin on my upper arms and my shins look like they have 10
    coats of urethane on them no matter what or how much moistuizer I use.
    10. Constant shoulder pain
    11. Occasional arrhythmia
    12. Frequent fatigue-mostly begins around 2pm then gets worse.
    13. Terrible fatigue after eating ANYTHING. I'm intollerable to be near.
    14. Thristy ofter, yet I drink 8-9 glass of filtered or bottle water a day.
    15. Frequent urination-at least 12 times a day and three in the middle of the
    night.
    16. When I awake, my eyes are swollen for 2-3 hours.
    17. Dry eyes also sensitive to light which could be from an astigmatism.
    18. Anxiety attacks - these began 2 years ago, fewer now than then.
    19. Irregular menses w/ frequent constipation.
    20. Irregular menstral cycle-becoming heavier, longer and more painful.
    21. Miscarriages (2) dispite fertility tests which indicate all is well.
    22. Depression
    23. Irritable, Moody - I don't watch television for I cry over everything I see.
    24. Crave carbs, mostly breads - but eat very little of them.
    25. Vertigo
    26. Tinitus
    27. Occasional Shortness of breath, shallow breathing, tightness in the the chest and peroids of sharp pains in the chest and shoulders which restricts my ability to inhale.

There is probably more I'm forgetting.

Here's the kicker. I exercise on an eliptical 4 days a week. 30 minutes a day in which the machine says I burn 450 calories. I don't consume over 1,200 calories a day. I don't eat red meat or pork (haven't in 12 years). I don't eat candy and keep my breads to slice a day. I don't drink sodas or juice. I don't eat fried foods and very little fast food (maybe a bean burrito once a week). I drink 1 cafe latte (home made) every morning to get going. Yet I am still gaining weight.

On my first visit to my doctor to beg for help, I noticed a sign on the back of the door that listed the symptoms of an hypothyroidism. I was so excited, "This is me", I thought. An answer, treatment, thank God! I told my doctor, he did some testing and said I was normal, just stress. My Glucose was 93, and my TSH was 1.78, ref range 0.34-5.60 uIU/ml. I had not eaten.

I went back again 6 months later, symptoms getting worse. He checked again. Glucose 93, TSH 1.5 same reference range as above. He said; "normal, it's just stress." It had been 4 hours since I ate.

I went back 4 months later to the same medical group, different doctor, senior GP.

Test Results (Ref. Range/Females)

Basic Metobolic
    Glu 94 (70-105 mg/dl)
    BUN 9.0 (7.0-18.0 mg/dl)
    Creat 0.6 (0.6-1.3 mg/dl)
    NA 136 (132-142 mmol/L)
    K 4.5 (3.6 - 5.0 mmol/L)
    Cl 108 (101-111 mmol/L)
    CO2 27 (21-31 mmol/L)
    CA-Ionized 8.5 (8.4 - 10.2 mg/dL)
    An.GAP 5.5 (5.0 - 15.0)
    B/C 15.0 (6.0 - 25.0)

Lipid Panel (DMA)
    CHOL 179 (<200 Desirable
    >240 Elevated)
    TRIG 50 (10 - 200 mg/dL)
    HDLD 51.6 (40.0 - 60.0 mg/dL)
    LDL 117 (<100 Optimal
    > Elevated)
    Ch/HDL L 3.5 (4.5 - 5.0 ratio)

FT4 .92 (0.36 - 1.26 ng/dL)

TSH 1.65 (0.34 - 5.60 uIU/ml)

I'm normal the senior GP says, just stress.

Finally, I went to an internal medicine doctor, here were his results:

WDC 8.9 x 10-3/uL (4.0 - 10.5)
    RBC 4.28 x 10-6/uL (3.8 - 5.10)
    Hemoglobin 12.7 g/dL (11.5 - 15.0)
    Hemotocrit 33.3 % (34.0 - 44.0)
    MCV 87 fL (80-98)
    MCH 29.7 pg (27,0 - 34.0)
    MCHC 34.2 g/dL (32.0 - 36.0)
    RDW 14.2 % (11.7 - 15.0)
    Platelets 269 x 10-3/uL (140 - 415)
    Polys 58 % (40 - 74)
    Lymphs 30 % (14 - 46)
    Monocytes 8 % (4 - 13)
    Eos 4 % (0 - 7)
    Basos 0 % (0 - 3)
    Polys (absolute) 5.2 x 10-3/uL (1.8 - 7.8)
    Lymphs(absolute) 2.7 x 10-3/uL (0.7 - 4.5)
    Monocytes(absolute) 0.7 x 10-3/uL (0.1 - 1.0)
    Eos(absolute) .04 x 10-3/uL (0.0 - 0.4)
    Baso(absolute) 0.0 x 10-3/L (0.0 -- 0.2)
    T4 0.88 ng/dL (0.61 - 1.76)
    TSH 2.482 uIU/mL (0.350 - 5.500)

He's says, I'm normal, must be stress.

So, what's the verdict? AM I crazy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: I'm not crazy!!!

Hi,
    Welcome to the boards.

You are not crazy, there is something causing you to not feel well, the key is finding it which isn't always easy.

Your thyroid results are not too bad, although your last test results are showing a rise in TSH, but this can also depend on what time of day you had the test done, the T4 on the last test does not say wether it is free or total, do you know which it is? If it is free T4 then it is too low, it should be mid to upper in the range. If it is total T4 it is still low in the range, although its not telling us how much is free and how much is bound.

I do not see a Free T3 or thyroid antibody testing. You can have normal test results with antibodies present and experience symptoms for years before the other numbers are out of range. I would suggest getting antibody testing and a Free T3 if you can talk them into it.

Have you ever been tested for blood sugar imbalance? A lot of your symptoms sound like thyroid but also could be related to a blood sugar imbalance, but I'm leaning more to thyroid here. Your hemoglobin is in normal range though lower normal which can sometimes indicate anemia.

I'd at least get the other tests done that I mentioned, maybe someone else will have more advise to lend here.

Good luck

Last edited by dea4; 04-01-2004 at 06:54 PM.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
    Darvi

Darvi HB User

dea4, thank you for responding so quickly. The last test was a T4 Free @ 0.88 it was tested @ 6:30pm. All other tests were around noon. I have had my blood sugar checked, all okay. Thank you for the suggestion of the antibody testing and the Free T3. Is there a name for the antibody testing? What kind of antibodies would cause these symptoms? Any suggestions on how to convince a doctor to do the T3? I feel like I can't even convince them there IS something wrong.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
    imoutrunning
    (female)

imoutrunning HB User

"Just stress" isn't a good way for any doctor to explain your symptoms. Stress can be devastating to the body! Even if your thyroid isn't the culprit, stress can tear your body apart. It can block serantonin production, produce excess cortisol, both of which would lead to many vitamin/mineral deficiencies and symptoms such as you are having. I suggest reading "The Anxiety Cure" by Dr. Archibald Hart and another book, same authoer, "Adrenaline & Stress." "Just" stress is an understatement! If you have gotten into a state of adrenal fatigue, you will need the right tools to get started healing.

Also, have your doctor check your female hormone levels. High estrogen and low progesterone can cause quite a few problems.

God bless,
    Glynis

Old 04-02-2004, 05:13 AM   #5
    Darvi

Darvi HB User

Glynis, thank you for your suggestions. I'll try anything. Funny, I don't feel stressed until the fatigue kicks in. I have a good job, supportive family, good relationship w/my husband. Generally, I'm happy. I'm blessed for that matter. I can't figure out what I'm so "stressed" about. Again, I'll read and try anything to be myself again.
    I miss my energy, my witt, even my occassional sarcasim. The only time I feel this is when I've had 4-6 espresso drinks.
    I'm off to the book store!
    Have a great weekend!

Old 04-02-2004, 05:40 AM   #6
    jasmine1313

jasmine1313 HB User

Hi Darvi,

Boy do I sympathize with your frustration! My story was very much like yours--tons of symptoms and TSH of 1.78 (just like yours) and even lower when tested a second time. Went through about 4 doctors before one finally ordered an ultrasound due to my complaints of feeling like I was choking and just general discomfort around my neck.

The ultrasound showed that my thyroid was enlarged and had several small nodules on the right side--finally located a doctor through the Armour Thyroid website who is willing to treat based on symptoms , not just TSH.

You might want to check that website to see if there are any doctors in your area who prescribe Armour--you might have better luck getting some help!

Good luck,
    Jasmine

Old 04-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #7
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darvi
    dea4, thank you for responding so quickly. The last test was a T4 Free @ 0.88 it was tested @ 6:30pm. All other tests were around noon. I have had my blood sugar checked, all okay. Thank you for the suggestion of the antibody testing and the Free T3. Is there a name for the antibody testing? What kind of antibodies would cause these symptoms? Any suggestions on how to convince a doctor to do the T3? I feel like I can't even convince them there IS something wrong.
    Hi,
    You want them to check for Thyroglobulin antibodies and thyroid peroxidase antibodies. Having antibodies indicates Hashimoto's a thyroid condition where antibodies are attacking and killing your thyroid, it is the leading cause of hypothyroidism. Also ask for a Free T3, specify the free because there are different types.
    Having your adrenals tested is not a bad idea either even if you get the other thyroid tests, there is a spit test that can be done that is more accurate than the blood tests, but only one lab I know of does this, they are the Great Smokies lab, your dr has to order the tests and then send them to the lab.

Also there is a test called Comprehensive thyroid assesment, this also is by Great Smokies it tells how well the body produces T4 and how much of the active T3 is created, how well the body converts and uses the T3 and if there are significant antibodies present.

Also if you get hormones checked make sure they don't just do the FSH, this will not tell if there is a specific low or high hormone, you will want progesterone, DHEA, estradiol and testosterone checked, keep in mind these can be off if you have a thyroid problem since the thyroid controls the rate of function of every cell and gland in the body and especially affects the female hormones which in turn they then affect the thyroid.

Hope this helps you out, I know its a lot, a new dr may be needed if your current one will not do the tests, also if you get the tests done be sure to post them on the boards, sad to say but many drs do not know how to read thyroid test results.

Oh and by the way, there is an online lab service called Healthcheck USA, many of the posters use them, you can order your own bloodwork without a drs approval, they have a listing of approved labs you go to, you pick one then you pay for it through them, they send you the paperwork and you go get the bloodwork, its a lot cheaper than most labs.

Since that last T4 test was the free, then yes yours is too low, should be mid to upper in the range. Also most women feel best when their TSH is below 2 closer to 1, and women with no thyroid problem will have a TSH close to 1 with no symptoms of course. My TSH right now is .18, looks hyper but I'm not, my frees at the moment are going more hypo so I just got a med increase, so TSH very often is a poor indicator of thyroid function, better to check those free numbers.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by dea4; 04-02-2004 at 06:23 AM.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
    ok4now
    (female)

ok4now HB User

Hi Darvi,
    I was reading over your symtoms, and a few of them make me think that you should get checked for diabetes...I am only mentioning this because I just went through this with my husband, who was diagnosed with it. #'s 3, 12,14 and 15 are ones he was experiencing. Some of them sound peri-menopausal, #'s 1, 2, 4, 20 and 23. (going through that stage right now myself). The rest all sound hypo....I am experiencing most of them right now myself as I have just had a total tyroidectomy due to follicular cancer and am off all meds right now to prepare to have my RAI treatment.
    The fact that you doctor is just dismissing of this due to "stress" is a good indicator that you need to find a new doctor. Don't let anyone dismiss how you are feeling....you know your body better than anyone does!! See if maybe family or friends can recommend a good internest...keep searching until you find someone to help you. You don't deserve to not feel well and enjoy your life. Best of luck, Claudia

Last edited by ok4now; 04-02-2004 at 10:54 AM.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:56 AM   #9
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I am sorry you are not feeling well, and I hope you find what is causing all those symptoms.

I just want to add to the number of people who have a normal TSH and go on for years without getting diagnosed. I had a TSH of 1.7 in 1997 and had all the hypoT symptoms. It took a good doctor and many years for me to get diagnosed. My TSH was increasing every year and that is how I got diagnosed, with a TSH of 3.0 and lots of hypoT symptoms.

I feel wonderful today, I was dxed in Sept 2003 and I am on Armour 60mgs. My doctor understands that my TSH has to be below range for me to feel good (last test TSH 0.004). I do not have hyper symptoms and feel great, have lost 19 lbs, and run 2.4 miles 5 times a week.

I had symptoms just like you plus depression (took prozac for years) and and a "normal" TSH. I felt I was going crazy, and even began to say that it was all in my head myself. All symptoms dissapeared with thyroid treatment.

I would try checking for antibodies, getting a free T3 and testing your adrenals. I was never checked for antibodies, but I bet they were high. I had terrible, horrible allergies every spring, and even that is gone with thyroid treatment.

Mintchoc

Last edited by mintchocolate; 04-02-2004 at 12:29 PM.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #10
    Darvi

Darvi HB User

Claudia, Thank you for your advice. My mother was diabetic so I get checked every 6 months, I've been told I'm okay. I'm 34, I had my first menstral cycle @ 16, so I don't believe I'm pre-menopausal. I've seen 3 doctors and I'm getting frustrated. I have complied a list of tests to request for the next quack I visit. I getting desperate, almost enough to diagnos myself, get on line and order from overseas. Fear of a worse condition than what I have now is the only thing holding me back. You'd think there would be away to find a doctor on line for the Nashville area that has a reputation of being "helpful." I appreciate your insight and will keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.......what do we do?....we swim, swim.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
    Darvi

Darvi HB User

Jasmine, glad you got help and are feeling better! I will check out the wesite, thank you for responding, this information is one of the leads I've been looking for. Have a great weekend.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:13 PM   #12
    Darvi

Darvi HB User

dea4
    Thank you! Lot's of great information! I'm a bit confused about the TSH and the FreeT4. What is low and what is high?
    Thank you so much for explaining the tests I need in terms I can understand and why I need them. This will help my doctor to understand my need for them. I will also check out the leads and keep in touch.
    Again, thank you for your concern and time spent to help me. I'm feeling a little less desperate.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darvi
    dea4
    Thank you! Lot's of great information! I'm a bit confused about the TSH and the FreeT4. What is low and what is high?
    TSH is put out by your pituitary, it basically tells what it thinks your thyroid is doing, and therefore can be a very poor indicator of actual thyroid function, it may take a long time for the TSH to show there is a problem.
    The Free T4 is the active thyroid hormone put out by your thyroid, it is what is available for your body to use, it will turn into the energy and useable form of T3, it converts in your liver.

There are other T4 tests and T3 tests, they are Total T4 and Total T3, these are bound and active thyroid hormones, they do not tell you how much is bound or active so this is why its best to get the free tests which tell only what is available for use. T3 uptake is T3 from a test tube and it measures the binding protiens in your blood.

The free T4 and Free T3 should both be in the mid to upper part of the range, below mid range indicates hypoT, too high in the range or above range indicates hyperT, the TSH is generally high if you are hypo and low if you are hyper, but since it is a poor indicator you can have a low TSH and still be hypo if your free T's are low.

Good luck to you, I hope you can get some answers soon. Keep us posted.

Closed Thread