It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid and Leaky Gut

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
    sladedog
    (male)

sladedog HB User
    Thyroid and Leaky Gut

Yeah- sounds like a funny thing, and until yesterday I had never heard of it- until i had a Dr suggest that he thinks that this is where a lot of my problems are stemming from, including my Hashis. Do a google search on it and check it out- makes a whole lotta sense to me. The new dr I went to has been by far the most knowledgable about auto-immune issues- this guy was seriously sharp!! I've alway thought that the all of the "diagnosis" I've had this year seem connected ( hypothyroid, hypoglycemic, sever allergies, periodontal bacterial infection, and acid reflux) and this COULD be a possibility- not saying that I'm sold yet! I am doing an elimination diet and flushing my system with anti-oxidants and some holistic medicines. Give it a look and let me know what you think- the hair stood up on the back of my neck after reading a few of the articles....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: Thyroid and Leaky Gut

Interesting, I'll have to check that out.

Old 04-03-2004, 02:22 AM   #3
    lexi_Tbrat

lexi_Tbrat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sladedog
    Yeah- sounds like a funny thing, and until yesterday I had never heard of it- until i had a Dr suggest that he thinks that this is where a lot of my problems are stemming from, including my Hashis. Do a google search on it and check it out- makes a whole lotta sense to me. The new dr I went to has been by far the most knowledgable about auto-immune issues- this guy was seriously sharp!! I've alway thought that the all of the "diagnosis" I've had this year seem connected ( hypothyroid, hypoglycemic, sever allergies, periodontal bacterial infection, and acid reflux) and this COULD be a possibility- not saying that I'm sold yet! I am doing an elimination diet and flushing my system with anti-oxidants and some holistic medicines. Give it a look and let me know what you think- the hair stood up on the back of my neck after reading a few of the articles....
    I've battled the leaky gut also.. for a very long time. Doc has me on Nystatin and I too am on the elimination diet....elimination of all refined sugar and aged foods such as cheese, vinegar, etc.
    The leaky gut thing did get better once I started to get better with the thyroid.. but I must say the most critical thing for me was to have an Igg and Ige food allergy test. I do my best to avoid those items since they will certainly make the leaky gut worse.

Also, your doc probably suggested digestive enzymes.. because those of us with leaky gut are supposedly lacking in these which allow large food particles to enter the bloodstream ... creating the classic leaky gut. I take hydrochloric acic with meals and pepsin/bromelain three times per day.

Also, since leaky gut is indicative of candida in the intestines, in addition to the nystatin (anti fungal) I alternate weeks of Pau D'Arco, garlic, colloidal silver and caprylic acid.

Must say, I feel much better with the candida under control.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:58 AM   #4
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

This is what I have been posting about for the last couple of weeks. Candida can cause leaky gut, thyroid disorders,hypoglycemia,eczema,rashes etc....It is related. As I pointed out before, the symptoms are identical to hypo symptoms. Just remember that there are natural ways (that are very safe) to get rid of the yeast overgrowth to get the body back to its correct PH. Many doctors prescribe drugs which are not necessary(that is if your doctor is even in acceptacne of candida). DIET is very much related to our disorders and to most disorders ;it should not be overlooked.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
    sladedog
    (male)

sladedog HB User

Glad you guys are hip to this idea- I'm giving it a shot-
    below is a list of stuff I'm taking to help detox and deal with the fungus and parasites-
    all of this is homeopathic- all natural- let me know what you think-

Oil of Oregano 300mg 3X day
    Botanifuge
    Black Walnut
    Oregano
    Quassia
    Wormwood
    Cloves
    garlic
    Plantain
    Pumpkin Seed
    Barberry
    Golden Seal
    Grapefruit seed extract
    Male Fern
    Undecyclenic acid
    Barberine Sulfate
    Fennel
    Genitian
    I take this 3X daily as well

I then combine 1/2 tsp of each of the following in water 3x daily
    Itires
    apo-HEPAT
    Renelix

My elimination diet is supposed to eliminate dairy, eggs, wheat and all gluten, all processed foods, tomatoes, corn, alcohol, caffeine, peanuts, citrus juices, beef and all beef products, soy, and all desserts-

I've never been a big believer in alternative meds- always thought it was hogwash. But now that I've been locked into Western Medicine so intensely and seen how poor it's diagnosis and treatment efforts can be my mind is now open to just about anything- I'm gonna give it a shot- as well as continue along with my Armour.

Do any of you have any other experience with Leaky Gut Syndrome- or elimination diets....

Old 04-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #6
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Did a ND recommend all of those herbs? I am not taking quite that much. I am taking what is pretty much considered safe. Oil of oregano, astragalas,several amino acids and of course all of my normal supplements. I'm surprised that you do not have probiotics on that long list. I take probiotics after every meal and I eat yogurt 2 to 3 times a day (Stonyfield Farm) is what was recommended. (I am seeing a holistic nutritionist for candida.)

Why don't you just go to an allergist and have allergy testing done? It takes about 20 minutes to find out if you have food allergies. I am on a restrictive diet, but not as bad as the one you are on.

I was never a big believer of alternative medicine either, but the more I read the more I have come to realise that conventional medicine has it's place (for emergencies and a few other maladies). Drugs are not always the answer to many of the ailments around today. Being hypo we don't have much of a choice but to take meds, at least they aren't chemical concoctions that do horrible things to the body (aka side effects).

Good Luck on your treatment and keep posting to let us know how it is going.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
    lexi_Tbrat

lexi_Tbrat HB User

[QUOTE=sladedog]Glad you guys are hip to this idea- I'm giving it a shot-

Well it seems that your ND is treating you aggressively with the anti fungal herbs... Garlic, grapefruit seed extract, oregano, barberry, black walnut, goldenseal, etc. are frequently used as antifungals. I am curious why this doc doesn't have you alternating different weeks for different anti fungals since candida can become resistant to them.

If the symptoms are really bothersome you may want to ask for a prescription of nystatin. Nystatin is one of the most completely harmless substances to the human body and is a safe way to rid yourself of candida as it is not absorbed into the intestinal tract and does not enter the blood... as does diflucan will. Diflucan is an antifungal that may harm your liver... nystatin will not.

Dairy, eggs, wheat and gluten are HIGHLY allergenic. Desserts have sugar in them..sugar feeds candida. Tomatoes have citric acid in them and will exacerbate candida.

I use a probiotic made by metagenics... need to be careful about where you buy these as they may not contain live bacteria. There is simply not enough bacteria in yogurt by itself to clear a candida infection... and dairy is likely to flare your symptoms.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by lexi_Tbrat; 04-03-2004 at 11:00 AM.

Closed Thread