It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• ACTH/Cortisol Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
    sladedog
    (male)

sladedog HB User
    ACTH/Cortisol Help!!

Just recently I was diagnosed with hypothyroid/hashimotos disease- at the same time my endo wanted to test my adrenal so she ordered a cortisol test- it came back at 21.8 (range 5-25) at 8:00 am. She said that this was good but that she wanted to do a ACTH stim test. She did not have me go to the lab first- just gave me a shot and told me to have the blood drawn an hour later. When I hit the lab they asked why I hadn't come in first to get a baseline draw- I said "cause the doc didn't tell me to". They took my blood and I just got the results- Cortisol was 28.1 after stim at 11:00 a.m. The doc hasn't called me- I just went in on my own and got the results- so I'm confused. Someone told me that after the stim shot my cortisol should double- is that right?? Anyone who can offer some insight would be great- I'm really clueless about the adrenal fatigue thing-
    Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 10:04 PM   #2
    sladedog
    (male)

sladedog HB User
    Re: ACTH/Cortisol Help!!

Thanks for your reply!
    How are you treating your adrenal problem?? When you say "secondary" what is it second to? I went to a Dr. of Chiro who is a holistic dr. specializing in Natural meds. He thought that my real issue was my kidneys and my adrenal gland- said that the other docs I saw were nuts if they didn't think I had an adrenal issue. I'm just really confused at this point- I was sold on the fact that my thyroid was the problem but after the meds straightened out my numbers and my symptoms persisted I knew something was up. Any advice or insight you can offer is GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
    sladedog
    (male)

sladedog HB User
    Re: ACTH/Cortisol Help!!

Thanks so muh for all the info!!
    I have the 21st century book- very insightful. I just seem to be having a heck of a time getting my body used to Armour- maybe my adrenals are why?? Is that what you meant in your first sentence?? One more question- about a year ago I was put on prednisone- the ENT was trying to see if I had an infection- I was on a tapering dose- most of my symptoms went away while on it until I tapered down to the last dose. I really felt like crap on the prednisone though- felt like I was on crack!! Is the prednisolone similar?? Thanks in advance- your info is VERY helpful (especially since the doc has yet to call me!)

Closed Thread