It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Slowly Deteriorating. Exhausted. Sooo Exhausted. Desperate.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
    PrimalSympathy

PrimalSympathy HB User
    Slowly Deteriorating. Exhausted. Sooo Exhausted. Desperate.

I recently got my boodwork back and saw that I have elevated cortisol. Now that I think about it, I have had symptoms of high cortisol for a long time. Sudden onset of depression, Fatigue, Insomnia (I've had that most of my life) Feeling disinterested in things. Stomache disturbances. I have been pumped full of anti depressants all my life, to the point where I don't know what my real personality is ACTUALLY like. I am slowly tapering off Effexor, and am continuing to take trazadone for sleep and lamictal (mood stabilizer). I am dead tired. I am so so so very tired. From the minute I wake up, I feel as though I could take a nap. Watching tv, I find myself closing my eyes and zoning out. I have no appetite. I have to force myself to eat. God Oh God PLEASE let this elevated cortisol be the culprit. What if the doctor blows me off? I don't know what I will do. I am so so so so so so so so so tired. How am I supposed to live life when I barely have the focus or energy to read the newspaper........My thyroid checked out OK. All I have is high cortisol. Does anyone have this? I feel as though I am falling closer and closer to death at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
    GracesMomMom
    Veteran
    (female)

GracesMomMom HB User
    Re: Slowly Deteriorating. Exhausted. Sooo Exhausted. Desperate.

Primal,
    Not sure how much I can help, but I can offer you my sympathy. I know exactly what you mean, I was so tired I wondered just how long my body could hold out - I was getting quite scared. Take it one step at a time. For me, I have potentially 4 conditions that cause fatigue. I found that I have sleep apnea, and treating that brought me back from that horribly exhausted state up to the still so tired I can't function most of the time, but at least I was in a holding pattern instead of a downward spiral. Further treatment for fast pulse and high blood pressure brought back some of my ability to function. I also have had "normal" thyroid workups. However, according to the folks on this board, it's possible my free t3 and free t4 should be higher - and it's totally within realm that this is causing me to feel hypoT. So, if the doctor blows you off, find another one. Find one that will treat you even if you have to go to 10 to get to that one. And find one that will look at all the possibilities. You may have layers of problems like I do. Removing those layers helps a little at a time. I've gone to a doctor of osteopathy, he has been agressive in helping me and I would recommend this kind of dr to anyone. Sorry I can't directly help, but I am so terribly sorry you feel so BAD. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Unhappy Re: Slowly Deteriorating. Exhausted. Sooo Exhausted. Desperate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrisgj
    You should search Cushings disease. Not say thats what you have, but you should look into it.

Go to the Addison's board (low cortisol, there isn't a Cushings board on here) and post what your cortisol levels were (with ranges).

Chris
    in addition to cushing's, you might want to post your thyroid levels (and lab ranges), just in case ... when you say your thyroid is normal, with your symptoms i'd reallly question the DX ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:04 AM   #4
    PrimalSympathy

PrimalSympathy HB User
    Re: Slowly Deteriorating. Exhausted. Sooo Exhausted. Desperate.

you are such a sweetheart! thank you for your kind words!!

Old 04-11-2004, 11:56 AM   #5
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Unhappy Re: Slowly Deteriorating. Exhausted. Sooo Exhausted. Desperate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrimalSympathy
    you are such a sweetheart! thank you for your kind words!!
    i've felt like you do -- i mean it -- and continue to be up and down altho' not as ghastly as before i was dx'd, and i know that no one understands what it feels like except someone who's been there ... i've lost friends over it ... i'm currently so dtowsy that altho' i thought i was reading the paper, i dunno where the last two hours have gone ...

i'm going to have my cortisol level checked as soon as i can get up early enuff' -- my stoopid endo (arrghh!) didn't tell me it had to be done in the morning so i had it done at noon with a thyroid panel, and the results were questionable ... but would elevated cortisol give you those symptoms? or low?

and i repeat: post your latest thyroid numbers here, and your cortisol level when you get it ...

i personally am looking into the hypoglycemia aspect of this thing too -- gah!

best of luck
    jb

~ i nodded off while typing this ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread