It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid and pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
    huma

huma HB User
    Hypothyroid and pregnancy

u know i asked my doctor about how difficult it might be to get pregnant and she asked me if i had tried at all.. and i said no, because i havnt yet, but im still very worried about it. And she said "well u dont know until u try" isnt there some other way i can find out? i mean like a fertility test or something? And im still having weight issues.. not being able to take it off as easily. Thank god my hairs stopped falling out for now, but it comes and goes. Its just amazing how such a tiny tiny part of ones body can screw everything up so badly.

I was reading some of the other posts about pregnancy, and someone said that thyroid levels must be normal at the time of becoming pregnant... so would all tsh, fee t3 AND ft4 have to be in the normal range?? U know i have kaiser insurance here in CA, and i really dont know if my t3/t4 has been ever tested, i recently got an increase in medication after months of pleading and begging other doctors. I had to switch insurance to finally get the increase. So hopefully when i get a blood test i can request these. Thanks all for the info, its gonna be really valuble to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid and pregnancy

If your insurer never tested your FT4/FT3, they wouldn't likely test for fertility, would they?

Go to your library or bookstore and get a copy of Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon. She has a chapter about hypo and fertility/pregnancy. She describes her own experience: She was contemplating becoming pregnant and sought advice from her endo about it. At the time, her TSH was 4.1, within range, and she believed there would be no problem with fertility. Her endo told her that isn't so, that she had found the optimal TSH to begin and maintain a pregnancy is between 1 and 2. So the author's dose was increased, and when her TSH was 1.2, she conceived. According to the doctor, if TSH is very much above 1 or 2, conception is possible, but miscarriage risk is much higher.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-16-2004 at 07:08 AM.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid and pregnancy

I went through a pregnancy and miscarriage so yes, you NEED to have your numbers at a good level before getting pregnant. What typically will happen, even if your numbers are within normal limits, (which mine were) is your TSH may drop first and you will be hyper, but then it will take a sharp rise. Throughout pregnancy the TSH will continue to rise and free numbers fall causing you to need more and more thyroid hormone.

I would suggest reading the book Midwest suggested and getting your TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 checked, make sure you are in optimal limits for you.
    When you do get pregnant, watch those numbers carefully especially at first and then monitor througout the pregnancy, you will also have to monitor your levels after baby to get back to non pregnancy levels.
    Also, it would be wise to have a dr that is experienced with thyroid problems and pregnancy.

Last edited by dea4; 04-16-2004 at 08:32 AM.

Closed Thread